Alberts as an AD? YIKES!!!

MRJ

Reaction score
I just read a couple of online newspaper articles in which Trev Alberts apparently interviewed to be the new Athletic Director at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Jeepers creepers, couldn't UNO get somebody with some level of experience at that position? Or at least somebody more credible than a former linebacker whose previous experience counts as being a babbling fool on ESPN?

From what I've seen, he certainly doesn't look like the type to lead an athletic program. I must admit, I really don't like the guy. Some of the crap he spewed while on ESPN was legendary for both its bias and it's arrogance.

But hey, maybe he'd fit in perfectly at UNO. :p:p

I just read a couple of online newspaper articles in which Trev Alberts apparently interviewed to be the new Athletic Director at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Jeepers creepers, couldn't UNO get somebody with some level of experience at that position? Or at least somebody more credible than a former linebacker whose previous experience counts as being a babbling fool on ESPN?

From what I've seen, he certainly doesn't look like the type to lead an athletic program. I must admit, I really don't like the guy. Some of the crap he spewed while on ESPN was legendary for both its bias and it's arrogance.

But hey, maybe he'd fit in perfectly at UNO. :p:p

I think when you look at what UNO needs in an A.D. right now then you would understand why Alberts may be a good fit. The UNO athletic dept. is running a huge deficit and by the chancellor's own comments the last two A.D.'s have done a terrible job of outreach within the community and in turn fundraising. Alberts is a very personable guy who is good at hand shaking and kissing the babies,etc... He also brings instant name recognition in the community and his name alone in that state will help with fundraising. He has come out and said that he will have to learn the job early on but will surround himself with experienced people but in the meantime can bring in some much needed money to the department.

I think when you look at what UNO needs in an A.D. right now then you would understand why Alberts may be a good fit. The UNO athletic dept. is running a huge deficit and by the chancellor's own comments the last two A.D.'s have done a terrible job of outreach within the community and in turn fundraising. Alberts is a very personable guy who is good at hand shaking and kissing the babies,etc... He also brings instant name recognition in the community and his name alone in that state will help with fundraising. He has come out and said that he will have to learn the job early on but will surround himself with experienced people but in the meantime can bring in some much needed money to the department.

Sounds like the exact argument for Brewster for Minnesota. Minnesota needed a coach who could reach out to the community, raise awareness, recruit, be bold and outgoing, etc.... Brewster had no HC experience like Alberts has no AD experience....etc...etc...

I personally love what Brester has brought to the program... His unending and boundless energy and enthusiasm is contagious and I believe he will succeed....

Best of luck to Alberts and UNO if they end up in bed together...

Go Gophers!

Sounds like the exact argument for Brewster for Minnesota. Minnesota needed a coach who could reach out to the community, raise awareness, recruit, be bold and outgoing, etc.... Brewster had no HC experience like Alberts has no AD experience....etc...etc...

I see what you're saying here, and I think the intention of your point is valid. I just think there's a huge difference between being a first time head coach who has years and years of experience as a assistant coach and someone who is being hired for an athletic director position with absolutely no experience administering college programs at any level.

I see what you're saying here, and I think the intention of your point is valid. I just think there's a huge difference between being a first time head coach who has years and years of experience as a assistant coach and someone who is being hired for an athletic director position with absolutely no experience administering college programs at any level.

To begin with, UNO is comparable to a St. Cloud State and so it isn't a large athletic program. The other thing is he will have experienced people around him. UNO also needs someone who is going to give them a longer term committment than just a couple of years and he will do that. He will also have a close friend and mentor 50 miles down the road in Tom Osborne(current A.D. at Nebraska) to bounce ideas off of when necessary. They need a fundraiser and someone who can increase the schools profile with the media which based on his experiences he is fully qualified to do.

To begin with, UNO is comparable to a St. Cloud State and so it isn't a large athletic program. The other thing is he will have experienced people around him. UNO also needs someone who is going to give them a longer term committment than just a couple of years and he will do that. He will also have a close friend and mentor 50 miles down the road in Tom Osborne(current A.D. at Nebraska) to bounce ideas off of when necessary. They need a fundraiser and someone who can increase the schools profile with the media which based on his experiences he is fully qualified to do.

I can get on board with many of your points, but honestly, it's still a high-risk, high-reward proposition, and in that respect, it is similar to the Brewster hire here at Minnesota. I don't wish any ill will on UNO, but not having any experience to bank on besides the ability to smile, shake hands and raise money should make for an interesting first year at UNO.

Sorry to bump up this thread again, but apparently a newspaper in Nebraska is reporting that Alberts will be named the new AD at Nebraska-Omaha.

Take it for what it's worth.

Top Bottom