***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

The took the easy road...rather than trying to make their home team gophers great again...they turned them down flat...then Marcus fuller says the twolves should pay top dollar to ty jones in order to keep in state players home...guess what fuller the jones brothers Have shown they do not give a rats arse about playing for the home state programs...

They took the road to better coaching, better brand, better school, legendary program, incredible program. They put in tons of hard work to earn that choice, hardly easy. They faced heavy competition and won. There is nothing that says they should give a damn about stating home or playing for a program that has been mediocre. Why is it poor form to say it truthfully. Until we win big we will find it tough to get the best players. Really good players are to be found from all over and it is the coaches job to get the best you can and mold them into a team that wins.

We also offer a lot to a local kid that Duke doesn't, but you have to have a different mindset. If you go to Duke then you are going to be part of something that is already built. Duke can be a conduit to success if you are good enough to make it there. If you go to Minnesota, you go to build something and you can do it near your family if that is important to you. If you are good enough, then Minnesota will let you shine and the pros will find you, just like at Duke. In fact you might stick out better at Minnesota as a star. Is Duke a better basketball school? Absolutely. Is it a better opportunity than Minnesota? Not necessarily. It depends on the player and the goals. Either way, if you have the ability, the NBA will find you.

Last point- you do have a better chance to win championships at Duke. No doubt. At Duke, it is expected. But what if you do it at Minnesota? You are a legend and a trail blazer. So it's back the mindset. Builder or maintainer- what do you want to be? Most want to be maintainers with their path paved for them. We need a few more builders like Mr Oturu.

Tre Jones left town and was part of a freshman class with three one-and-done lottery picks. Being able to play with Zion Williamson and calling him your bud for the rest of your life is a huge selling point that often gets overlooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They took the road to better coaching, better brand, better school, legendary program, incredible program. They put in tons of hard work to earn that choice, hardly easy. They faced heavy competition and won. There is nothing that says they should give a damn about stating home or playing for a program that has been mediocre. Why is it poor form to say it truthfully. Until we win big we will find it tough to get the best players. Really good players are to be found from all over and it is the coaches job to get the best you can and mold them into a team that wins.
Easy road already trail blazed for them ...staying home playing rebuilding the gophs much more of a challenge ..take guts ..like oturu, Coffey, Mchale , Pryz. ..etc... your banal narrative is must more appreciated at the duke forum ...whose shrine you incessantly worship at ..here at gopherole

I would argue that much of Duke's success has to do with a TV network (ESPN).

Easy road already trail blazed for them ...staying home playing rebuilding the gophs much more of a challenge ..take guts ..like oturu, Coffey, Mchale , Pryz. ..etc... your banal narrative is must more appreciated at the duke forum ...whose shrine you incessantly worship at ..here at gopherole

You have your provincial take on it, i see it through the lens of how national recruits make choices. They pick coaching and path to championships and the NBA first. You seem so jealous of big success. I simply tip my hat to those programs who achieved it.

Bingo, ESPN seems to replay their games every night. Overhyped!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ESPN only cares about ratings. They show Duke games because people watch. If no one watched, they’d stop showing them. I agree that Duke gets tons of attention from ESPN. More than anyone. Duke’s success came first. ESPN covers what people will watch. Period.

ESPN only cares about ratings. They show Duke games because people watch. If no one watched, they’d stop showing them. I agree that Duke gets tons of attention from ESPN. More than anyone. Duke’s success came first. ESPN covers what people will watch. Period.

ESPN shuts out entire markets in favor of the investments that have made. The day of women’s World Cup semi finals (which aired on Fox), I had to make 3 clicks on their website to find the starting time. Their landing page was NBA free agency and summer league highlights.

ESPN purchases content, and promotes it to those that habitually return. To state that ESPN simply covers what the general sports audience wants is woefully misguided. Period. ESPN is in the business of convincing people that what they have paid for broadcast rights is worth viewing. This isn’t malicious, it’s just business.

I would argue that much of Duke's success has to do with a TV network (ESPN).

They were winning long before that. Do you think ESPN just picked a relatively small D1 school in North Carolina at random?

ESPN shuts out entire markets in favor of the investments that have made. The day of women’s World Cup semi finals (which aired on Fox), I had to make 3 clicks on their website to find the starting time. Their landing page was NBA free agency and summer league highlights.

ESPN purchases content, and promotes it to those that habitually return. To state that ESPN simply covers what the general sports audience wants is woefully misguided. Period. ESPN is in the business of convincing people that what they have paid for broadcast rights is worth viewing. This isn’t malicious, it’s just business.

I can not stand ESPN and avoid it when possible but your right, it is just business. They are not about quality of product or journalistic integrity.

per Marcus:

Eight big names

Ben Carlson 6-9 PF East Ridge: One of the state’s top rebounders, Carlson has most of the Big Ten after him, but Stanford is trying hard to lure him.

Steven Crowl 6-11 C Eastview: Relatively unknown nationally before a breakout spring as a highly-skilled big man for D1 Minnesota’s AAU program.

Dain Dainja 6-9 PF Park Center: His father, Dana Jackson, played for the Gophers, but Dainja decided last month to take his powerful post game to Baylor.

Dawson Garcia 6-11 PF Prior Lake: Garcia’s three-point range and mobility for his height has blue bloods looking at Minnesota again, one class after Duke signed Matthew Hurt.

Gabe Madsen 6-6 SG Rochester Mayo: Flashy scorer exploded for 53 points and 12 threes in a game last season. He recently picked up a Gopher offer.

Mason Madsen 6-3 PG Rochester Mayo: His twin brother, Gabe, has bigger offers, but Mason’s steady play might make some high majors offer them both.

Jalen Suggs 6-4 PG Minnehaha Academy: Two-sport standout and one of the state’s best athletes ever is leaning toward deciding in August to possibly stick with college hoops.

Kerwin Walton 6-5 SG Hopkins: Three-point shooting and defense are his specialties, which earned him offers from the Big Ten, Big East and Pac-12.

http://www.startribune.com/get-to-know-the-minnesotans-of-the-2020-class/512565352/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Two local high school basketball players were in the news this week because they are proving to be two of the best prospects in the nation.

Jalen Suggs won a gold medal with the USA Basketball Under-19 team at the FIBA U19 World Cup in Senegal. Suggs averaged 9.6 points, 2.7 rebounds in 15.9 minutes per game.

The Minnehaha Academy point guard, who is ranked as the No. 12 prospect in the country by ESPN, also won gold medals with USA Basketball in 2017 and 2018.

He told 247Sports recently that he is receiving a lot of attention from Gonzaga in his recruiting and that it is one of the top schools on his list.

And while the Gophers are on his list, and his decision will be delayed because of his football season — where he is the second-best prospect in the state and could get an invitation to the Under Armour All-America Game in January 2020 — there’s little to no chance he’ll go to the U based on his statements.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-get-rested-for-key-series-at-cleveland/512614322/

Go Gophers!!

<twitter-widget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="1154511568606027777"></twitter-widget> <script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Where the hell was the And 1 - he got hammered. Want this kid so bad...one and done is just fine when that one is a Big Ten Title and Final Four or better finish. Go Gophers!

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.0639d67d95b7680840758b6833f06d87.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forums.gopherhole.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

I don't want a one and done Suggs. Period. He needs to stay a few years. Didn't Kris Humphries try the one and done? Look what happened to him! He ended up married to Kim Kardashian for 72 days. Is it really worth it?

I don't want a one and done Suggs. Period. He needs to stay a few years. Didn't Kris Humphries try the one and done? Look what happened to him! He ended up married to Kim Kardashian for 72 days. Is it really worth it?
Suggs would join a much better team than the one Humphries did, hump also came with baggage

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Suggs would join a much better team than the one Humphries did, hump also came with baggage

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

For those close to Gopher recruiting, is Suggs in play ? Snow and Bossi already said that ship has sailed.

Humphries made 66 million in the NBA.....

You literally just used the most financially successful basketball player in the programs history to try justify not wanting one of the top basketball players in the country. Also players love life has nothing to do with basketball and shouldn't matter to any of us.

Last edited:

If he’s really going to play one year before going pro, and a degree means nothing, why not play for the hometown team? The argument that he would have a better chance to win a title with Gonzaga would be negated if these local studs would just stay home.

I literally have zero clue on Suggs. I f everyone is saying Gonzaga perhaps he wants a smaller Jesuit school. Perhaps he is thinking that playing in the Big 10 has more appeal.

Lmao. Wow man

Top Bottom