***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

builtbadger, your contributions here are valued. Don't let the totalitarians drive you away. It is okay to sometime be critical and sometimes complimentary.

Remember the main reason people demand others to agree with them is because of their own insecurities. Keep speaking your mind and sharing your input.

I still don’t know why you are here. You post on Gopher message boards and are a Gopher season ticket holder but all you want to do is talk Badgers and wish the Gophers were the Badgers. Why don’t you just take the leap and join a Badger message board and buy tickets to the Kohl Center. You would be far happier and we’d no longer have to put up with your whining about the Badgers when we just want to talk about the Gophers.

If you insist on staying, at least change your damn user name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had seats at the Kohl Center since 1998 and Badger seats since 1995. Our family has had Gophers far longer than that. I am extremely happy with two of the programs i follow. UCLA is my alma, the U is the place we have had family tickets for over 50 years. UVA is a family and business relationship. If you dislike what i post, simply quit reading them. I am entitled to support the Gophers and to comment . I have several healthy exchanges with many posters on here. Some of them are disagreements where we actually find ways to look at something from and different perspective.

I still don’t know why you are here. You post on Gopher message boards and are a Gopher season ticket holder but all you want to do is talk Badgers and wish the Gophers were the Badgers. Why don’t you just take the leap and join a Badger message board and buy tickets to the Kohl Center. You would be far happier and we’d no longer have to put up with your whining about the Badgers when we just want to talk about the Gophers.

Yeah, he'd be far better if he posted about Marquette and Gonzaga all the time.

builtbadger, your contributions here are valued. Don't let the totalitarians drive you away. It is okay to sometime be critical and sometimes complimentary.

Remember the main reason people demand others to agree with them is because of their own insecurities. Keep speaking your mind and sharing your input.

Thanks Tim, enjoy our back and forth even in disagreement. At 79 i am 76 years past insults bothering me and i will never act like 9-11 is a good year in year 6. I hear that all the time in this town, for every team ! demand excellence for our dollars or never get it. Where else do they go 40-70 after year 6 people are happy and they keep you. I will tell you where, at programs that stay terrible.

So am I to assume Dantonio and Izzo are going to let him play both? If so, would only make sense to match that.

I’m going to be seeing both Pitino and Fleck at the AZ Desert Classic on Sunday. I’ll make sure I get them on board.

No grudge, my friends in coaching got better jobs and far exceeded Pitino's record. How long do you think he should get to lets say finish top 3 in the conference just once ? What about the no identity issue in 6 years, or now finally paying attention to efficiency ! As for character, we let bad ones in over and over again while other schools would not touch them. The current performance was a under .500 conference record again. My firm has tracked what and how coaches build early and how those translate to early success if your ever going to. I did say i support bringing him back for one more try but our family did vote to keep the tickets, lower the gift and give to our programs by level of success. I am sick and tired of being a under .500 team, i want conference titles, i want what UW did.

I appreciate your contributions to the board, but to claim the University of Minnesota allows more "bad ones" in than many other schools is just not accurate. In my opinion, we need to take more chances than we have. Jeff Goodman took a poll of B1G coaches to rank the jobs in the conference. Minnesota ranked 12th out of 14 in ease of admission of athletes according to the coaches perceptions. The only schools where it was believed to be tougher to get players in were Michigan and Northwestern.

Thanks Tim, enjoy our back and forth even in disagreement. At 79 i am 76 years past insults bothering me and i will never act like 9-11 is a good year in year 6. I hear that all the time in this town, for every team ! demand excellence for our dollars or never get it. Where else do they go 40-70 after year 6 people are happy and they keep you. I will tell you where, at programs that stay terrible.

Tim, You are an amazing man of insight and reality! I am also a huge Gopher supporter very passionate about the potential of this program. We continue to reward bad behaviour and expect different results. Thanks for your input.

Tim, You are an amazing man of insight and reality! I am also a huge Gopher supporter very passionate about the potential of this program. We continue to reward bad behaviour and expect different results. Thanks for your input.

Well, at least now no one will be upset by Builtbadgers' takes! Palos Verdes has chimed in.

I appreciate your contributions to the board, but to claim the University of Minnesota allows more "bad ones" in than many other schools is just not accurate. In my opinion, we need to take more chances than we have. Jeff Goodman took a poll of B1G coaches to rank the jobs in the conference. Minnesota ranked 12th out of 14 in ease of admission of athletes according to the coaches perceptions. The only schools where it was believed to be tougher to get players in were Michigan and Northwestern.

Good! I wish we were 14th.

Just cause a kid can qualify academically doesn't mean he is a person of bad character. He's mainly and correctly referring to some early bad apples. McNeil, Dorsey, Lynch, and Lofton.

There are schools who take more chances than the U, i never said there were not. But there are schools that take zero and do very well. They have a evaluation process that starts with character, they do not have classes for athletes, they have a honor code and yes they have far more strict admissions than we do. Then they get to the evaluation of your basketball skills. For me it is the only way. Everyone has their own opinion of what they want and what is acceptable. I just know here that the chances we took here hurt people and lost a ton of games. Our best players are high character guys.

I have had seats at the Kohl Center since 1998 and Badger seats since 1995. Our family has had Gophers far longer than that. I am extremely happy with two of the programs i follow. UCLA is my alma, the U is the place we have had family tickets for over 50 years. UVA is a family and business relationship. If you dislike what i post, simply quit reading them. I am entitled to support the Gophers and to comment . I have several healthy exchanges with many posters on here. Some of them are disagreements where we actually find ways to look at something from and different perspective.

I for one appreciate your posts, in spite of the fact that the Badgers are my second most hated team, after Duke.

I'm energized by the idea that this program can do better, and I appreciate built's voice of experience. He's one of my favorite posters because he knows of which he speaks. His perspective validates my longtime opinion that we don't have to settle for a lower-half conference program.

I've felt for some time that the success of sports programs and franchises are significantly influenced by the attitude of their fan base. To put it another way, our patience and tolerance make it easy for our ADs and GMs/ownerships to take a passive and casual approach to winning. Fans and media putting pressure on teams makes a difference. There are some cities/markets where the public would be in a rage over 103 straight seasons of pro sports not reaching the championship round. Here it's treated as an oddity or a cute joke. Next door, the Packers have one bad season, and they clean house. Here we're like, Rick, we'll give you one or two more drafts to finally get wise and draft an offensive lineman for a change.

Sorry for rambling.

Just cause a kid can qualify academically doesn't mean he is a person of bad character. He's mainly and correctly referring to some early bad apples. McNeil, Dorsey, Lynch, and Lofton.

Yes. plus several that actually can not get into the U anyway got in.

It is not a biased opinion. It is decades of research. From the top does the school decide they are going to play it straight across the board and what are the standards for success. Then each fan can decide what they think is good, great, terrible etc.. People often struggle separating what they want to happen with what has happened. Is it ok to be the 8-10 best program in the conference, is it ok to be the 8-10th best coach. Each fan can decide for themselves what is good enough for them. For me it is about winning championships with great people. Keep scum off our campus !

It is not a biased opinion. It is decades of research. From the top does the school decide they are going to play it straight across the board and what are the standards for success. Then each fan can decide what they think is good, great, terrible etc.. People often struggle separating what they want to happen with what has happened. Is it ok to be the 8-10 best program in the conference, is it ok to be the 8-10th best coach. Each fan can decide for themselves what is good enough for them. For me it is about winning championships with great people. Keep scum off our campus !
What the hell does this have to do with our past two-to-three recruiting classes?

Have we recruited "scum" to our campus lately? please single them out.

no doubt this program has had its fair share of scandals.. but you've also said that our best players were the ones that were scandal free. that's simply not true. Nate Mason was suspended for a 1/4 of a season. Same with Dupree McBrayer. Gopher fans will remember those guys fondly.

Richard Pitino has evolved as a recruiter. He has reoriented what he wants and expects out of players. Look at our last recruiting class with Oturu and Kalscheur and Omersa. Look at Tre Williams.

You and your buddies continuously look at this program in a vacuum. All you see is a 6-year cumulative record in the B1G. There's more to program evaluation then that.

Minnesota men's basketball is a Top-40 program right now. I would like it to be consistently in the Top-25 range, but nevertheless we are close. We've had a 36-year-old coach lead us to this point.

What the hell does this have to do with our past two-to-three recruiting classes?

no doubt this program has had its fair share of scandals.. but you've also said that our best players were the ones that were scandal free. that's simply not true. Nate Mason was suspended for a 1/4 of a season. Same with Dupree McBrayer. Gopher fans will remember those guys fondly.

Richard Pitino has evolved as a recruiter. He has reoriented what he wants and expects out of players. Look at our last recruiting class with Oturu and Kalscheur and Omersa. Look at Tre Williams.

You and your buddies continuously look at this program in a vacuum. All you see is a 6-year cumulative record in the B1G. There's more to program evaluation then that.

Minnesota men's basketball is a Top-40 program right now. I would like it to be consistently in the Top-25 range, but nevertheless we are close. We've had a 36-year-old coach lead us to this point.

I'm also impressed he was able to get a mobile, athletic 6'10" big man with a 6'10" Sophomore stud on the roster. Now we just need to get Dainja and Garcia too!

I'm also impressed he was able to get a mobile, athletic 6'10" big man with a 6'10" Sophomore stud on the roster. Now we just need to get Dainja and Garcia too!

I would think that those guys will be in play if we do not sign a high school recruit this Spring.

Never said anything about bad character in the last three classes. Gophers are not a top 40 program just because you say so. We may be a top 40 team, that is a vacuum. A program is evaluated on a much larger scale than one year of getting to the round of 32. That does not make us a top 40 program. I have posted praise for the way the last class went. I like how the staff is diversifying out of state and out of country.

Never said anything about bad character in the last three classes. Gophers are not a top 40 program just because you say so. We may be a top 40 team, that is a vacuum. A program is evaluated on a much larger scale than one year of getting to the round of 32. That does not make us a top 40 program. I have posted praise for the way the last class went. I like how the staff is diversifying out of state and out of country.

In the past three years, the Gophers had Top 30 team at some point in their season (based on AP poll results). The Gophers made the tournament twice in those three years.

Based on those achievements, the Gophers have a Top 40 team right now. It may not be a Top 40 program historically. But based on the play on the court, the Gophers have proven to be a Top 40 program.

But you inferred that Pitino continues to bring in low character players with your broad accusations. And you keep posting his overall record as the main reason for disappointment in the job he is doing. We all know he owns his record. But again, is there ever a time where you begin to not bias your judgement with errors made in the past during his “learning” phase? Would you think he is doing well if you just took his last three years? It is like judging an upper class college student based some errors they made as a freshman and not considering the improvements they made later.

But you inferred that Pitino continues to bring in low character players with your broad accusations. And you keep posting his overall record as the main reason for disappointment in the job he is doing. We all know he owns his record. But again, is there ever a time where you begin to not bias your judgement with errors made in the past during his “learning” phase? Would you think he is doing well if you just took his last three years? It is like judging an upper class college student based some errors they made as a freshman and not considering the improvements they made later.

He has done ok, two of the last 3 years, my opinion, he built a house of glass with Lynch. And i do not do if, could to say last year was a tourney team. In 4 of 6 years we had bad characters, that is my observation. Iam not mad at you for opinions, they are yours.

I see why Fleck would feel that way but if he were to come here and play both sports I'm sure he would make it clear that basketball would be his priority since it makes more sense for him long term, and Fleck would understand he's not getting the minimum of three years out of players he is used to move him to a pass throwing WR type role, with limited practice time in the fall.

I'm just not sure Fleck would want to use a scholarship on a player that will only play half the season, especially when he'd be missing the more important half of the season. Maybe I'm wrong.

In the past three years, the Gophers had Top 30 team at some point in their season (based on AP poll results). The Gophers made the tournament twice in those three years.

Based on those achievements, the Gophers have a Top 40 team right now. It may not be a Top 40 program historically. But based on the play on the court, the Gophers have proven to be a Top 40 program.

Do you know how many programs have touched the AP top 30 at some point in their season the last 3 years ! What metric do you want to use. Are we the only team that does that and never sniff a conference title and have such a horrendous record. If i take conference finishes, conference tourney victories, NCAA tourney victories and KENPOM for a measure of how well we play over time we are not even close to top 40 over 3 years.

He has done ok, two of the last 3 years, my opinion, he built a house of glass with Lynch. And i do not do if, could to say last year was a tourney team. In 4 of 6 years we had bad characters, that is my observation. Iam not mad at you for opinions, they are yours.

Nor am I mad at you. It is just frustrating when we talk about some glimmers of hope and you keep saying, but he has an overall losing record., etc. just trying to get you to throw us a bone..lol

I don't know how to post a dang tweet...……..

but Tre Williams replied to Marcus Fullers Tweet about Pitino doing an in home visit with Suggs saying "Let's make it happen twin" with a hand writing emoji

he certainly wont hurt our chances to get Suggs!

I think many gopher fans, and pitino himself realized he took few too many character risks. Character risks paid off for Hoiberg as I mentioned.

The keep pitino crowd, which I'm a luke warm member, is excited about last years class and seeing if he can surround them with other kids and view that as legit progress. I'm not overall happy with 6 years.

I'm not asking for national title, I'm asking for consistent NCAA tourney runs along with some runs in tourney.

I think Pitino can do it, I also understand why it's hard to understand that faith.

What I do know (or 100% believe) that changing coaches every 3-4 years hoping to strike Chris Beard is tough way to go.

I don't know how to post a dang tweet...……..

but Tre Williams replied to Marcus Fullers Tweet about Pitino doing an in home visit with Suggs saying "Let's make it happen twin" with a hand writing emoji

he certainly wont hurt our chances to get Suggs!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom