Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Wonder if it is tough to stay humble with all these high-major offers pouring in.

I've never understood how that is humbling. Not ripping the kid, just curious on the word choice. I always though in sports, I'd be thinking I'm the cat's ass and then I'd get my butt whooped. Those were humbling experiences.

Okay I got my butt whooped a lot. Like A lot.

Wonder if it is tough to stay humble with all these high-major offers pouring in.

I've never understood how that is humbling. Not ripping the kid, just curious on the word choice. I always though in sports, I'd be thinking I'm the cat's ass and then I'd get my butt whooped. Those were humbling experiences.

Okay I got my butt whooped a lot. Like A lot.

"Humble" seems to be one of the most misused words in the world of sports and entertainment. People always use it when they're accepting awards, being compared to legendary players, winning championships, etc. Being told you're one one the most gifted athletes in the world is the exact opposite of a humbling experience.

Go Gophers!!

Jalen's tweet:

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

It might be too early yet to call Jalen Suggs the next Tyus Jones.

After all, the Minnehaha Academy point guard just started his freshman year. And he won't graduate from high school until 2020 (imagine how many more Star Wars movies will come out between now and then).

But Suggs, a 6-foot-3, 170-pound five-star prospect, already has one thing in common with Jones when it comes to being recruited by the home state program. On Thursday, he became the first in-state freshman guard to receive a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota since Jones in 2011.

http://www.startribune.com/minnehah...d-jalen-suggs-gets-a-gophers-offer/394463841/

Go Gophers!!

Am I the idiot or does it seem counterintuitive that a kid would be humbled by receiving a Division I scholarship? Seriously I'm an english major but I always thought humbled was a way of getting put in your place in a way. I would think if some Division I school revoked a scholarship offer he'd be humbled.

Am I the idiot or does it seem counterintuitive that a kid would be humbled by receiving a Division I scholarship? Seriously I'm an english major but I always thought humbled was a way of getting put in your place in a way. I would think if some Division I school revoked a scholarship offer he'd be humbled.

Let's just say you are not the idiot.

Guess u need to read other definitions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definition of humble (Marriam-Webster)
humblerplay \ˈhəm-b(ə-)lər\; humblestplay \ˈhəm-b(ə-)ləst\
1: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
2: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission <a humble apology>
a : ranking low in a hierarchy or scale : insignificant, unpretentious
b : not costly or luxurious <a humble contraption>

I think when players state that they are humbled it is an attempt to express deference to the team that has offered in contrast to their personal abilities and achievements (acknowledgement of collective above the self). I don't see anything conceptually / grammatically contradictory. You could of course be doubting the genuineness in such a statement, which I think is difficult to judge, but from a language perspective I don't see an issue.

: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission <a humble apology>
a : ranking low in a hierarchy or scale : insignificant, unpretentious
b : not costly or luxurious <a humble contraption>

My thinking is it's an acknowledgement that his personal success / abilities (individual) precedes the importance of the teams (collective) that are offering him scholarships. I don't see anything conceptually / grammatically inconsistent with the statement. I think definition 2 in particular applies - I think of the a student bowing to the guru, acknowledging his or her higher rank / knowledge / mastery. Just my thoughts.

What he said.

Go Gophers!!

WCCO: Prep Blog: State Basketball Tournament Features Several Division I Recruits

Minnehaha Academy – Jalen Suggs

Minnehaha Academy is the No. 1 seed for the Class AA State Tournament, and they have a roster that’s loaded with talent. Their top player, a freshman point guard, might be one of the most highly-touted in the country by the time he’s a junior. Jalen Suggs scores more than 21 points per game, eight rebounds and five assists. That’s right, a freshman. You can bet the Gophers have him on their recruiting radar.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/...rnament-features-several-division-i-recruits/

Go Gophers!!

Might as well just pay attention to Johnson/Lockett on that team because there's about a 2 percent chance Suggs comes here. Not even trying to be negative but this kid looks like a guy who will play a year at Kentucky and head to the NBA. He's elite.

Why not play at Mn and win a national title for his home state then go pro after his first year. He can go pro from anywhere and the way Pitino's program is trending he could have a shot at a title.

The use of being "humbled" is the most incorrectly used phrase by athletes.

Top Bottom