***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

Thanks, but the Gophers had zero chance to get him any way. I have a feeling he is going to be a really good one for Wisconsin.

Good for him. Perhaps we will have a really good one of our own on the court in Wahl's stead, just not from one of our favorite zip codes. I'll take my chances on Ihnen and Williams for example. I think we should be most concerned about putting together the best classes possible of players that really want to be here, regardless of where they come from.

Suggs should play for the gophs even if they are his second choice heck that is part of what being a gopher fan is about ....Marcus Fuller tweets about keeping kids at home with respect to ty jones and the nba...bit he forgets both jones brothers snubbed the opportunity to stay home when it came to college basketball...

I agree with the sentiment, but I thought Jonathan nwankwo took illikanen’s scholarship after illikanen seemingly passed. Nwankwo was released from his letter in due to academics and that’s the spot that opened for Murphy. At least that was my recollection.

I also think Anim ended up being a very solid upperclassman for Marquette. Tough to say if that was just good coaching and development on their part though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly correct on the Illikainen/Nwankwo/Murphy situation, but I believe Nwankwo committed before Illikainen did. We had no open scholarships when Illikainen committed, then Nwankwo’s opened up and we got Jordan Murphy.

I agree with the sentiment, but I thought Jonathan nwankwo took illikanen’s scholarship after illikanen seemingly passed. Nwankwo was released from his letter in due to academics and that’s the spot that opened for Murphy. At least that was my recollection.

I also think Anim ended up being a very solid upperclassman for Marquette. Tough to say if that was just good coaching and development on their part though.

. Judging by the perception of the Marquette coaching staff you are really reaching on the coaching up Anim. The Hausers didn’t see it that way anyhow. Suggs I don’t believe has just been giving just lip service to the U but was and hopefully still is considering them If he committed to the Gophers it would literally send shockwaves statewide to the basketball community .Would be awesome . Pollyanna

Suggs should play for the gophs even if they are his second choice heck that is part of what being a gopher fan is about ....Marcus Fuller tweets about keeping kids at home with respect to ty jones and the nba...bit he forgets both jones brothers snubbed the opportunity to stay home when it came to college basketball...

They did not snub the U. They picked a far better opportunity.

They did not snub the U. They picked a far better opportunity.
More exposure for sure, better education ? More perks? Coaching actually significantly better ?or can a lot of coaches win at a high level with high level talent? I think with most great players the NBA is going to find you regardless of where you play. For home state schools it’s almost a matter of kids thinking I can’t stay home all the best players are expected to go to blue bloods.

. Judging by the perception of the Marquette coaching staff you are really reaching on the coaching up Anim. The Hausers didn’t see it that way anyhow. Suggs I don’t believe has just been giving just lip service to the U but was and hopefully still is considering them If he committed to the Gophers it would literally send shockwaves statewide to the basketball community .Would be awesome . Pollyanna

Good point on the staff, although the Hauser issues were regarding scheme/focal point, not development.

Suggs seems likely to be the second consecutive pg battle Pitino has lost to Few (Josh Perkins). Perkins was rock solid his entire career, but I never got the sense he was their star. Didn’t watch enough to back that up tho. And speaking of shockwaves, I still have emotional pains from the hope I had for the 2014 class: http://m.startribune.com/elite-point-guard-josh-perkins-keeps-gophers-on-short-list/216835981/

More exposure for sure, better education ? More perks? Coaching actually significantly better ?or can a lot of coaches win at a high level with high level talent? I think with most great players the NBA is going to find you regardless of where you play. For home state schools it’s almost a matter of kids thinking I can’t stay home all the best players are expected to go to blue bloods.

Duke basketball is far better than the U in every respect, including academics, coaching, perks, competitiveness, etc. To attempt to argue otherwise is silly homer nonsense. I love the U with all my heart, but it's barely on the same planet as Duke basketball.

Duke basketball is far better than the U in every respect, including academics, coaching, perks, competitiveness, etc. To attempt to argue otherwise is silly homer nonsense. I love the U with all my heart, but it's barely on the same planet as Duke basketball.
Not arguing just asking. I would think perks should be on an equal playing field money wise? Academics to most kids probably secondary. Of course it’s better, guess my question would be is there anything Minnesota can do to compete with that. Win I suppose ?

As has been proven countless times on this board, the in-state elite players with offers to any blue blood they wish rarely stay home. Not just at Minnesota. At any non-blue blood school. The fact of the matter is the Dukes of the world are a better opportunity in the current college landscape. Any Jones/Suggs/Hurt level recruit would be a major coup for Minnesota and certainly not a major miss if they go elsewhere.

While we can certainly debate other aspects of the job, Pitino's recruitment of ATTAINABLE Minnesota talent has been more than adequate.

Not arguing just asking. I would think perks should be on an equal playing field money wise? Academics to most kids probably secondary. Of course it’s better, guess my question would be is there anything Minnesota can do to compete with that. Win I suppose ?

Perks as in having access to elite facilities, playing all of your home games in front of a rabid crowd, playing most/all of your games on national television, being a god on campus, etc., etc.

Dupree was better than Sacar, we made the right call tyere

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You are being disingenuous by labeling academics as being better for players that only attend enough “classes” to stay eligible for one season of basketball!

You give way too much credit to Puke. All of the P5 schools get similar equipment perks, B1G has as much competition as the ACC. You are way too delusional on how green the grass is in North Carolina.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are being disingenuous by labeling academics as being better for players that only attend enough “classes” to stay eligible for one season of basketball!

The academic profile at Duke is far better than the University of Minnesota. Period.

You give way too much credit to Puke. All of the P5 schools get similar equipment perks, B1G has as much competition as the ACC. You are way too delusional on how green the grass is in North Carolina.

If anything, I'm not giving enough credit to Duke, particularly in comparison to Minnesota, which is the context of the discussion.

The Big Ten last had a national champion in 2000. Since that time, the ACC has had 8 national champion teams from 4 different schools. But yeah, the Big Ten is just as competitive as the ACC.

Oh, and of those 8 national championships, Duke won 3. Minnesota won zero. Minnesota hasn't won a legitimate conference title since 1982. Since that time, Duke has won 12 in a better conference. But you're right - it's really close as to which is the better program.

Last edited:

Agreed. If my son were an elite basketball talent and had offers from the U and Duke, I would advise him to take the Duke offer unless (1) he felt his style of play better fit the Us system and would allow him to showcase his talent better, (2) he was worried about being buried on the bench at Duke, or (3) he cares enough about the sentimentality of going to the same school that both his parents and two if his grandparents hold degrees from to just want to be there. You get one shot at college ball, and Duke offers a lot we don't.

any moron knows they snubbed the u grow up...

In what way did they insult, ignore the U ? They were polite throughout the process. The staffed loved those two, made the offer, followed through. They made a better choice. They picked a better school, a better coach, a better brand. Win more and you attract better players. That is what other coaches have done.

Guys like Oruro who turned down Kansas to play for his home town team in front of friends and family deserve credit from gopher fans for doing so...The very best gopher players have had much better pro careers than the in state platers who snubbed the U because they thought they were too good for the gophers...

Last edited:

You guys are so bizarre! The U had a fricken coach in Greece following Suggs and team USA! They are trying very hard to land him. And if he has already decided to go to the sZugs, then why have the U waste all the time and money to follow you around the world?

Funny but the first week of July when the Greece tournament happened (3rd through the 7th) was a quiet or dead period, sounds like Pitino is going to be slapped with recruiting violations.

Funny but the first week of July when the Greece tournament happened (3rd through the 7th) was a quiet or dead period, sounds like Pitino is going to be slapped with recruiting violations.

It was a global event, Rob Jeter was a fan in the stands, was not actively recruiting that week.

So they can watch as a fan, maybe they have a chance.

It was like any other time a coach comes to a game. I'm sure there were other D1 asst. coaches there too. It's a show of good will and interest. Having Jalen see a coach in the stands watching him in Greece even though they could see him everyday at Minnehaha shows some commitment sure.

They were not the only school there. Zags also had a coach.

In what way did they insult, ignore the U ? They were polite throughout the process. The staffed loved those two, made the offer, followed through. They made a better choice. They picked a better school, a better coach, a better brand. Win more and you attract better players. That is what other coaches have done.
The took the easy road...rather than trying to make their home team gophers great again...they turned them down flat...then Marcus fuller says the twolves should pay top dollar to ty jones in order to keep in state players home...guess what fuller the jones brothers Have shown they do not give a rats arse about playing for the home state programs...

They were not the only school there. Zags also had a coach.

Yes I believe Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd was in attendance as well. The Zags had a huge presence in the tournament with several current players and recruits playing.

Filip Petrusev for Serbia
Joel Ayayi for France
Martynas Arlaskus for Lithuania
Oumar Ballo for Mali
Julian Strawther for Puerto Rico

Guys like Oruro who turned down Kansas to play for his home town team in front of friends and family deserve credit from gopher fans for doing so...The very best gopher players have had much better pro careers than the in state platers who snubbed the U because they thought they were too good for the gophers...

I agree it’s great when in-state players like Oturo stay home, but the U hasn’t had a player drafted since Humphries so it’s pretty hard to say that the very best Gopher players have had much better pro careers than in-state players that went elsewhere when there isn’t recent history of this being true.

The took the easy road...rather than trying to make their home team gophers great again...they turned them down flat...then Marcus fuller says the twolves should pay top dollar to ty jones in order to keep in state players home...guess what fuller the jones brothers Have shown they do not give a rats arse about playing for the home state programs...

You are probably right. Elite Minnesota kids should just shut down their recruitment once it becomes apparent other programs might want them due to this bizarre "obligation" for them to play for the home school. Our pro teams should overpay for players that once had a connection to Minnesota so we as fans can feel good about ourselves. I've had it wrong all along.

The academic profile at Duke is far better than the University of Minnesota. Period.

If anything, I'm not giving enough credit to Duke, particularly in comparison to Minnesota, which is the context of the discussion.

The Big Ten last had a national champion in 2000. Since that time, the ACC has had 8 national champion teams from 4 different schools. But yeah, the Big Ten is just as competitive as the ACC.

Oh, and of those 8 national championships, Duke won 3. Minnesota won zero. Minnesota hasn't won a legitimate conference title since 1982. Since that time, Duke has won 12 in a better conference. But you're right - it's really close as to which is the better program.

If you want to bash the Big Ten (when comparing to the ACC) based on national titles, that's fine. However, this sarcastic statement is VERY wrong. Look up how many finals fours each conference has had since 2000. The ACC has 16. Guess what? The Big Ten has 16, and actually has more since 2009. Someone look up the number of sweet sixteens in the last 10 years. I'd bet the Big Ten has more...

If you want to bash the Big Ten (when comparing to the ACC) based on national titles, that's fine. However, this sarcastic statement is VERY wrong. Look up how many finals fours each conference has had since 2000. The ACC has 16. Guess what? The Big Ten has 16, and actually has more since 2009. Someone look up the number of sweet sixteens in the last 10 years. I'd bet the Big Ten has more...

It's close, but the ACC has one more overall in that time period.

2019 -- ACC 5 (Duke, Florida St, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech), B1G 3 (Michigan, Mich St, Purdue)
2018 -- ACC 4 (Clemson, Duke, Florida St, Syracuse), B1G 2 (Michigan, Purdue)
2017 -- B1G 3 (Michigan, Purdue, wisconsin), ACC 1 (North Carolina)
2016 -- ACC 6 (Duke, Miami FL, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Virginia), B1G 3 (Indiana, Maryland, wisconsin)
2015 -- ACC 5 (Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, NC State, Notre Dame), B1G 2 (Mich St, wisconsin)
2014 -- B1G 3 (Michigan, Mich St, wisconsin), ACC 1 (Virginia)
2013 -- B1G 4 (Indiana, Michigan, Mich St, Ohio St), ACC 2 (Duke, Miami FL)
2012 -- B1G 4 (Indiana, Mich St, Ohio St, wisconsin), ACC 2 (North Carolina, NC State)
2011 -- ACC 3 (Duke, Florida St, North Carolina) B1G 2 (Ohio St, wisconsin)
2010 -- B1G 3 (Mich St, Ohio St, Purdue), ACC 1 (Duke)

Total -- ACC 30, B1G 29
Ten total ACC teams and seven total B1G teams in that span.

Other stats that would probably matter to high-level recuits:
- Since 2000, the ACC leads the B1G 8-1 in national titles.
- About 95 current NBA players played in the ACC, and about 45 in the B1G.
- Over the last five years there have been 37 first-round draft picks from the ACC and 14 from the B1G.

None of this is meant to pour it on the B1G. It's obviously a very good conference. But there is plenty of data to show why the ACC would be preferable for a top 50 type recruit.

Agreed. If my son were an elite basketball talent and had offers from the U and Duke, I would advise him to take the Duke offer unless (1) he felt his style of play better fit the Us system and would allow him to showcase his talent better, (2) he was worried about being buried on the bench at Duke, or (3) he cares enough about the sentimentality of going to the same school that both his parents and two if his grandparents hold degrees from to just want to be there. You get one shot at college ball, and Duke offers a lot we don't.

We also offer a lot to a local kid that Duke doesn't, but you have to have a different mindset. If you go to Duke then you are going to be part of something that is already built. Duke can be a conduit to success if you are good enough to make it there. If you go to Minnesota, you go to build something and you can do it near your family if that is important to you. If you are good enough, then Minnesota will let you shine and the pros will find you, just like at Duke. In fact you might stick out better at Minnesota as a star. Is Duke a better basketball school? Absolutely. Is it a better opportunity than Minnesota? Not necessarily. It depends on the player and the goals. Either way, if you have the ability, the NBA will find you.

Last point- you do have a better chance to win championships at Duke. No doubt. At Duke, it is expected. But what if you do it at Minnesota? You are a legend and a trail blazer. So it's back the mindset. Builder or maintainer- what do you want to be? Most want to be maintainers with their path paved for them. We need a few more builders like Mr Oturu.

Top Bottom