***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

I'll always remember when we beat Purdue and Pitino, Murphy and Dupree all gave speeches at the end and Suggs was standing up, clapping, smiling and looked like he really enjoyed that moment.

I think that was the first and only time I've ever seen a recruit at a game actually clap and stand up when the gophers have success. Most if not all other recruits that I've seen usually just watch with a blank face in an unbiased fashion.

I honestly think Jalen loves MN and really really wants to stay. He wants to play football for fleck. He wants to be a hometown legend. It's in his language, his actions.

However, I feel his mentors and influences keep telling him that financially, its better to leave the B1G, leave Pitino who is teetering on the edge every year and go to a brand name school who churns out NBA players.

Guys like Matt Hurt had his dad essentially make the decision for him and say you won't go to MN.

Unfortunately this situation usually plays out where the player keeps MN in top 3 but picks a blue blood right at the end to pacify the locals.

Dont get your hopes up

“I would say it’s between Gonzaga, Minnesota and Marquette,” said Suggs. “I think those are the three frontrunners. Those are the three schools that I’m closest with and have some of the best relationships with.”

However, Suggs isn’t quite ready to cut his list down just yet.

“There are some other ones involved,” he said. “Michigan is emerging. I’ve talked to coach Juwan Howard a lot lately. Iowa and Iowa State are still in the mix. They’ve been in my recruitment, pretty much ever since my seventh grade year. So, we’ll see.”

In terms of visits, Suggs is working to plan an official to Gonzaga with commits Dominick Harris and Julian Strawther.

“We’re trying to find the dates for that,” he said. “Nothing set right now.”

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/06/18/jalen-suggs-names-three-frontrunners-in-his-recruitment/

Go Gophers!!

Let him play football too! Then Marquette and Gonzaga are eliminated.

Let him play football too! Then Marquette and Gonzaga are eliminated.

Would totally be worth it, we get him every year by the time the conference schedule is in full swing and couldn't leave until after his junior year if he wanted to declare for the NFL draft :clap:

It's really refreshing to not see Michigan State, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, or Arizona on his list.

I honestly think Jalen loves MN and really really wants to stay. He wants to play football for fleck. He wants to be a hometown legend. It's in his language, his actions.

However, I feel his mentors and influences keep telling him that financially, its better to leave the B1G, leave Pitino who is teetering on the edge every year and go to a brand name school who churns out NBA players.

Guys like Matt Hurt had his dad essentially make the decision for him and say you won't go to MN.

Unfortunately this situation usually plays out where the player keeps MN in top 3 but picks a blue blood right at the end to pacify the locals.

Dont get your hopes up
Except he hasn't listed any of the bluebloods and they're recruiting him hard. He already told coach Cal to **** off. He may not come here, but we won't lose him to the usual suspects. Marquette and Gonzaga would give him a experience similar to what he's getting at Haha acadamy, so I'm little worried there. I think Fleck and Pitino would be willing to share him, best walk on since Dave Winfield. Winfield's and the Suggs are the pride of the Central High

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jalen is a one and done basketball player, there's no reason for him to play football.

Jalen is a one and done basketball player, there's no reason for him to play football.

Totally agree. I'm not sure fleck is starting a one and done QB either especially when it will be ZA and TMs junior and rs junior seasons. The one thing I could see him doing is being a gimmick type WR/RB/ATH that can run, catch, and pass. Being a bit of a gimmick allows him to do more work on basketball where he will be a pro once BB season starts. Fleck would have to be on board to have football be the second sport

Totally agree. I'm not sure fleck is starting a one and done QB either especially when it will be ZA and TMs junior and rs junior seasons. The one thing I could see him doing is being a gimmick type WR/RB/ATH that can run, catch, and pass. Being a bit of a gimmick allows him to do more work on basketball where he will be a pro once BB season starts. Fleck would have to be on board to have football be the second sport

if he's hoping to be a one and done BB player, there is legitimately zero incentive to play football for both him and Fleck where Suggs could get hurt and Fleck gets him for a half season before he starts BB and costs him a full scholarship (and hurts the team APR)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Love to see him in maroon and gold. Show the home town fans you want to be a legend in the making! Go Gophers

Dont get your hopes up

If I were Jalen, first I would consider football over basketball.

There are only 60 draft slots in the NBA draft and there are many more great/good players competing for roster spots who end up in the G-league or overseas.

If he chooses football, I'd love to see him don Gopher Maroon and Gold.

There are only 60 draft slots in the NBA draft and there are many more great/good players competing for roster spots who end up in the G-league or overseas.

Even though he's better at basketball, football is harder on your body, and NBA players get bigger contracts than NFL players?

Even though he's better at basketball, football is harder on your body, and NBA players get bigger contracts than NFL players?

Jalen Suggs is the #11 rated basketball player overall, and the #316 rated football player overall (9th ranked dual threat QB).

Football is way more of a crapshoot -- it is way harder to predict how players will develop. So maybe Jalen has a higher ceiling in the NFL if he could make it as a star QB, but he has a way lower floor which is to go undrafted/get hurt because football is so physical.

Basketball is much easier to project who will be in the NBA draft based on their HS profile. Yes, there are always surprises like Ja Morant and Jarrett Culver, but the majority of NBA picks were highly regarded recruits.

If I were Jalen Suggs I would pick the NBA over the NFL 10/10 times.

Except he hasn't listed any of the bluebloods and they're recruiting him hard. He already told coach Cal to **** off. He may not come here, but we won't lose him to the usual suspects. Marquette and Gonzaga would give him a experience similar to what he's getting at Haha acadamy, so I'm little worried there. I think Fleck and Pitino would be willing to share him, best walk on since Dave Winfield. Winfield's and the Suggs are the pride of the Central High

Go Minutemen!!!

Guaranteed contracts in NBA with a minimum salary of $800K/year.

Mostly non-guaranteed money in NFL where you can be waived or cut at almost anytime.

Factor in the body damage quarterbacks take and I'd say the NBA is probably the better choice.

Trevor Mbakwe (career Euro player) will make more money played basketball than most later draft picks make playing football. They have longer careers and higher salaries (often).

I hope he picks the one that he loves the most. He is really a unique kid and there a countless ways to make a lot of money.

GopherHole Q&A: Jalen Suggs Talks Minnesota, Gonzaga, Team USA and More

https://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/1029743

That didn’t sound good for the home team! The Zags look like the team that has his attention. Had to prompt him to talk about the U and then it was more of a generic response.

If he has already made up his mind, hopefully it is soon, so Pitino can focus on players that want to be at the U. I really hope he plays for the U, but it would be a shame to have spent so many years working with a local player and then have them move on to “greener pastures”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like it is trending towards Gonzaga. In the last few weeks there have been 4 crystal ball predictions on 247 all saying Gonzaga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, Jalen would be a huge get and I think there's interest and we will legit be in it to the end, but I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get him. We have some very good guards in the program, were also in on some good in state and out state talent. I think Garcia is by far the most important player in this class. Anyways, a lot can happen between now and November when he wants to sign

Don't get me wrong, Jalen would be a huge get and I think there's interest and we will legit be in it to the end, but I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get him. We have some very good guards in the program, were also in on some good in state and out state talent. I think Garcia is by far the most important player in this class. Anyways, a lot can happen between now and November when he wants to sign

On one hand, I'm with you and builtbadgers on this point. On the other hand, even he would have to admit that the two UW teams that were legitimate national title contenders were so because 5-star players put them over the top (Brian Butch and Sam Dekker).

On one hand, I'm with you and builtbadgers on this point. On the other hand, even he would have to admit that the two UW teams that were legitimate national title contenders were so because 5-star players put them over the top (Brian Butch and Sam Dekker).

Daniel Oturo's freshman year was better than any year Brian Butch had at Wisconsin. Wisconsin's growth was Bo's ability to find certain Chicago and other regional kids who fit the culture (Tucker, Taylor, Leuer, Bohannon) that were way more monumental than Butch's play. If anything Butch is a great example of an awesome local kid who didn't "pan out". Our fan base rips Amir for what he did, they would've tortured Butch for not living up to his potential and blah blah blah. He's a great example that stars don't lead to championships and final fours. I'd argue that Butch's willingness to redshirt was instrumental as it lead to a really good string of big men have him that followed suit and developed with the extra year to grow physically and mentally.

The Wisconsin team that went to the National Title game had only 5 Wisconsin kids (not counting walk ons) and really only played 3 a ton of minutes. Decker was hugely important for that no doubt, but the idea that it was carried by Wisky kids is false as well. Kaminsky, Hayes, and Jackson were all out of state guys.

I want MN kids to be here and would love if Jalen took the challenge, but respect if he doesn't. I do think we have had a better shot at him than others recently. The changes in the game just make it hard to keep kids in state. It's significantly easier to do with guys like Suggs, but Virginia and Nova are examples that it can be done with out of state guys. I just want kids who want to be MN gophers.

Garcia just got offered by North Carolina. I'm sure he's going to consider the drastic sanctions the NCAA is about to rain down on them though.

I certainly hope he is still considering joining the local team!

This article makes it seem like he’s going to Gonzaga.

Top Bottom