***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

Reaction #1 to getting a scholarship offer.

"I just got an offer from school XXXX to play DI football, I told all you haters I was the greatest, Jimmy you doubted me, go pound sand"

Reaction #2

"I have received an offer from school XXXX and will remain humble in the knowledge that this is only an opportunity, and I must honor their faith in me with continued effort and dedication"

Not misused, just leans a little churchy for me personally. Seems like players are equating getting a scholarship and remaining humble before God on the same plateau.

And why should one care if it sounds "churchy". Does that offend you more than if someone uses references to another personal choice that illustrates what they've chosen to believe in or support?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Ah Marcus focusing on kids the Gophers have no shot at.

Does he have an editor basically telling him to track all local kids or is that just his shtick?

And why should one care if it sounds "churchy". Does that offend you more than if someone uses references to another personal choice that illustrates what they've chosen to believe in or support?

I don't think he said he was offended. He said it sounded a little "churchy" for him. It could be for a variety of reasons. It's pretty cliche'.
As far as someone referencing any other personal choice, it probably would feel the same.

If every other student athlete said "I want to thank my parents for my genetics and myself for my hard work and not some fictional god." I think some people would find that kind of "atheisty". Like I said, if every other student said it, you might have an opinion. Maybe not.

Suggs uses the word humble in the way it is used in the bible. Nothing wrong with he and his family taking values in what many consider a wisdom text. Of course the U has a chance but it should be noted that he and his family are very much interested in the Stanfords and Dukes of the world. Love his game but there is much to be done. No doubt he will do it as he is driven in a way that is rare.

Ah Marcus focusing on kids the Gophers have no shot at.

Does he have an editor basically telling him to track all local kids or is that just his shtick?

Well that's just stupid. Have you not noticed we are ranked top 15 nationally by just about everyone and have very high end talent returning and coming in the next two classes and there is a crazy amount of MN high school talent recently. Not to mention a brand new practice facility coming in. What are your reasons?

Well that's just stupid. Have you not noticed we are ranked top 15 nationally by just about everyone and have very high end talent returning and coming in the next two classes and there is a crazy amount of MN high school talent recently. Not to mention a brand new practice facility coming in. What are your reasons?

I bet he was also one of the people who said we had no shot at Amir.

I bet he was also one of the people who said we had no shot at Amir.

Suggs is on pace to be quite a bit better than Amir and is more on the Tyus, Trent, Rashad, Hurt level. He's #7 in the country on future150.com and Courtside films tweeted out that he could be the #1 class of 2020 player. If he stays course with how good people think he'll be, he'll have offers from every blue blood in the country like those other guy.s

Suggs is on pace to be quite a bit better than Amir and is more on the Tyus, Trent, Rashad, Hurt level. He's #7 in the country on future150.com and Courtside films tweeted out that he could be the #1 class of 2020 player. If he stays course with how good people think he'll be, he'll have offers from every blue blood in the country like those other guy.s
Sounds like too much to choose from. Might as well just stay home

I'm not going to bash kids for wanting to leave the state and go to one of the Blue Bloods of The Moment, but at some point I wish they would realize that they are real deal and could CHOOSE to make the University of Minnesota a power school if they just all decided to stay home. I wish they had the same pride in our state that I do. Basketball is such a simple sport (in terms of roster management) - it only takes 2 or 3 players to make a team elite. I have much more sympathy for football players that decide to 'ride the coat-tails' simply because one player (maybe outside of a QB) rarely can move the needle that much. Seriously, just stay home and live in a world class city and then you can whore yourself out in NBA.

But, insecurity and lack of faith in oneself is very prevalent in the sport of basketball so I don't expect it to change anytime soon. Unfortunately, I believe that we will have to build our program on the backs of kids from other parts of the country...then our stars will finally think it is acceptably 'cool' to stay home.

I'm not going to bash kids for wanting to leave the state and go to one of the Blue Bloods of The Moment, but at some point I wish they would realize that they are real deal and could CHOOSE to make the University of Minnesota a power school if they just all decided to stay home. I wish they had the same pride in our state that I do. Basketball is such a simple sport (in terms of roster management) - it only takes 2 or 3 players to make a team elite. I have much more sympathy for football players that decide to 'ride the coat-tails' simply because one player (maybe outside of a QB) rarely can move the needle that much. Seriously, just stay home and live in a world class city and then you can whore yourself out in NBA.

But, insecurity and lack of faith in oneself is very prevalent in the sport of basketball so I don't expect it to change anytime soon. Unfortunately, I believe that we will have to build our program on the backs of kids from other parts of the country...then our stars will finally think it is acceptably 'cool' to stay home.

Right because Johnson(from team leadership perspective), Coffey, Oturu, Lynch(After he came back), and Michael Hurt are not solid pieces? We are building with both players from MN and outside. If you can't see that you're looking only for your own narrative.

Right because Johnson(from team leadership perspective), Coffey, Oturu, Lynch(After he came back), and Michael Hurt are not solid pieces? We are building with both players from MN and outside. If you can't see that you're looking only for your own narrative.

Yes, Coffey and Oturu are amazing pieces and I applaud their loyalty. Lynch was/is great, but he's not really what I'm talking about as he was very much under-recruited by everyone, and I'm not sure Michael Hurt will ever really be a factor (unless he plays a part in getting his brother here). We might be starting something, and I hope it continues. I just don't understand the mindset of the star, local basketball player...most seem to want to be the follower instead of the leader (I guess it is easier). That's my only point.

Yes, Coffey and Oturu are amazing pieces and I applaud their loyalty. Lynch was/is great, but he's not really what I'm talking about as he was very much under-recruited by everyone, and I'm not sure Michael Hurt will ever really be a factor (unless he plays a part in getting his brother here). We might be starting something, and I hope it continues. I just don't understand the mindset of the star, local basketball player...most seem to want to be the follower instead of the leader (I guess it is easier). That's my only point.

Gotcha, and I would argue that if you put Coffey and Oturu in the star category along with Sims(#50), Ruevers(#64), Tyus, Rashad, Ried as far as difference makers from the state we're 2/7 in recruiting local difference makers so far (Tre will add to that list) under pitino. The national average for top 25 players(I don't know stats for top 50 or top 100) staying in state is around 28% from math I did last year(I could find my old post on that if you'd like) so we're right about that same percentage... why should we be any different than the national average? Yes it'd be nicer to get more players to stay home but you can't get upset about what we have done under pitino.

Gotcha, and I would argue that if you put Coffey and Oturu in the star category along with Sims(#50), Ruevers(#64), Tyus, Rashad, Ried as far as difference makers from the state we're 2/7 in recruiting local difference makers so far (Tre will add to that list) under pitino. The national average for top 25 players(I don't know stats for top 50 or top 100) staying in state is around 28% from math I did last year(I could find my old post on that if you'd like) so we're right about that same percentage... why should we be any different than the national average? Yes it'd be nicer to get more players to stay home but you can't get upset about what we have done under pitino.

I guess I just have a fantasy that since we are located in such a cool city surrounded by nothingness that these young kids would have more pride in their origins, and the foresight to see that if they all just stuck together they could make this program every bit as attractive as, let's say, Kansas. But, again, I won't totally blame these kids as it took me until my early 20s (and moving away for college) to understand just how special Minneapolis is.

Minneapolis is a incredible place. Kids pick colleges for tons of reasons. I have lived all over the world and can say that i am not provincial in the least and actually think kids benefit by going away. Especially if that is a school like Stanford or a school and program like Duke. There is a reason the best of the best try and get to those places. It is more difficult to get in and the opportunities at Stanford right now are better than anywhere in the world. If it is hoop centric then Kansas is a incredible choice and at the same time if a kid wants to stay home and do something that has never been done here BRAVO ! Nothing wrong with whatever they choose. I went to UCLA and it was one of the best choices i ever made. I hope for a out of state or out of country kid.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus' article on MN vs Duke recruiting:

Odds are that it could be four straight years Krzyzewski offers a Minnesotan with Suggs. Duke’s staff watched the five-star point guard this summer, as did Kansas and Arizona. But word is the biggest challenger for Suggs might be Kentucky, who even saw him play and win a gold medal for the U-16 national team in Argentina.

http://m.startribune.com/will-the-g...ng-battle-with-duke/440565623/?section=sports

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I was actually sitting near him in the second half. Found it a little strange he wasn't surrounded by coaching staff / players... seems like a typical high schooler and just wanted to hang out with his boys and I'm sure he was hanging with players in first half, just found it kind of odd you have the #1 2020 prospect in the building and he isn't being completely bull rushed. Guess we're playing it cool :cool:

Top Bottom