***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

Why the name calling ! You can look at at many ways and still be a fan. There are dozens of really smart people very close and loyal to the program who do not think Pitino is special at all, who do not see him ever winning this conference or getting to a final 4, we still hope we can be competitive in the conference. We have not been that and that does not make us trolls. There is a third group like me who it is not either or on Pitino, we are lets see one more year to see if there is anything at all there.

Why can't you seem to see the difference between "loyal people close to the program" and blatantly clear trolls? There IS a difference. This dude has been doing nothing but posting crazy vitriol to get a rise out of people since Sunday. Where was he before that all season? Show us one positive post he has made about the program.

Personally, I always love these ambiguous references like "really smart people very close and loyal to the program."

I'm glad they're really smart, though it doesn't sound like "loyal" is the correct term to use. Fortunately, they don't exist.

JTG

Why can't you seem to see the difference between "loyal people close to the program" and blatantly clear trolls? There IS a difference. This dude has been doing nothing but posting crazy vitriol to get a rise out of people since Sunday. Where was he before that all season? Show us one positive post he has made about the program.

I do not keep track of every poster and every post. I just believe that name calling is the worst part of any discussion. If someone posts nothing but negative they are also not contributing. I see both some really wonderful things about the program but also many things that have been done very poorly. We have a full spectrum just like any other fan message board. We have fans who see Pitino as a great coach and some who think he is the worst coach in college hoops. I see someone who is no better than 7th or 8th in the conference with a chance to be better.

Seriously. Why do people keep engaging with Million2spare? If it's not obvious how much he follows gopher basketball by what he says about the team, look at how he spells the players names. He has no Idea how to spell Coffey!! the freaking leader of the team, in another thread he managed to spell Gas' last name Giju, I bet he doesn't even know Murphy's first name off the top of his head. Yet, he's pretending to know more than Coyle or Pitino. Ignore this guy and move on.

I do not keep track of every poster and every post. I just believe that name calling is the worst part of any discussion. If someone posts nothing but negative they are also not contributing. I see both some really wonderful things about the program but also many things that have been done very poorly. We have a full spectrum just like any other fan message board. We have fans who see Pitino as a great coach and some who think he is the worst coach in college hoops. I see someone who is no better than 7th or 8th in the conference with a chance to be better.

The vast majority of your comments on Richard are negative. That is a fact. See your post above.

Yes, all of what you said is true. Glad you're part of that spectrum of fans. Yet, we are still going to put obvious trolls on blast as well.

Seriously. Why do people keep engaging with Million2spare? If it's not obvious how much he follows gopher basketball by what he says about the team, look at how he spells the players names. He has no Idea how to spell Coffey!! the freaking leader of the team, in another thread he managed to spell Gas' last name Giju, I bet he doesn't even know Murphy's first name off the top of his head. Yet, he's pretending to know more than Coyle or Pitino. Ignore this guy and move on.

The ignore button is indeed a wonderful thing.

Back to the Suggs discussion, I would love to see fleck and Pitino agree to let him play both sports. Fleck would have to allow him to make basketball the priority but I'm sure he could find a place for him as a freshman to make plays somewhere on the offense.

I say freshman because he will be a one and done NBA player.

Agreed. He demonstrated some things this year that show possibilities. Defense improved fundamentally this year and became more consistent as the year went on, they did a better job taking care of the ball overall late in the year, they seem to have really good guys on the team, the team seemed prepared and executed more effectively later in the year.

I think we will learn a lot this next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. He demonstrated some things this year that show possibilities. Defense improved fundamentally this year and became more consistent as the year went on, they did a better job taking care of the ball overall late in the year, they seem to have really good guys on the team, the team seemed prepared and executed more effectively later in the year.

I think we will learn a lot this next year. Also, do think there is a chance at Suggs.

Back to the Suggs discussion, I would love to see fleck and Pitino agree to let him play both sports. Fleck would have to allow him to make basketball the priority but I'm sure he could find a place for him as a freshman to make plays somewhere on the offense.

Of all the sports, football and basketball just don't mix well together. A typical "Fleck" season would have us playing deep into December for a bowl game of some type and that would push Sugg's basketball start into the regular B!G schedule! Not exactly ideal. He would have to pick to concentrate on one sport or the other.

Of all the sports, football and basketball just don't mix well together. A typical "Fleck" season would have us playing deep into December for a bowl game of some type and that would push Sugg's basketball start into the regular B!G schedule! Not exactly ideal. He would have to pick to concentrate on one sport or the other.

I'd let him do it. Take a player of his caliber for 18 of the 20 big ten games and post season? Yes please.

I'd let him do it. Take a player of his caliber for 18 of the 20 big ten games and post season? Yes please.

He would play Every game for Pitino, He would probably skip most of the football practices for basketball, but if he was an early enrollee Fleck could get all of his practice and plays to him in spring ball, continue practicing them with the full team over the summer and let him do basketball once that starts up. I imagine he would be a Hines Ward type WR who could do a double pass or reverse pass trick play.

Seriously. Why do people keep engaging with Million2spare?

Think about it, why would this poster be unbanned and be allowed to go right back to what got them banned in the first place? It's a GH bit, to get clicks/action.

Suggs is a good enough player that I'm sure Pitino is willing to put up with minimal issues that come from him playing football but basketball will need to be the primary sport.

I think Fleck would be okay with it too. I'm sure that if we miss out on Suggs because Fleck was unwilling to share him, the local media would tear him apart and some fans would be very mad about it. Even if Fleck doesn't want Suggs, I think he will take him to keep fans happy. Even if he adds absolutely nothing to the team, it may be worth taking him. But he's athletic enough that Fleck should be able to find some way to use it, even if it's as a backup or not as a quarterback.

He's a good enough player that it would be very bad if he wanted to come here but he went somewhere else because Fleck and Pitino couldn't figure out how to share him.

So when are you going to give us your insight on the wonderful things about the program? So far, you have only posted your criticisms of Pitino.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suggs is a good enough player that I'm sure Pitino is willing to put up with minimal issues that come from him playing football but basketball will need to be the primary sport.

I think Fleck would be okay with it too. I'm sure that if we miss out on Suggs because Fleck was unwilling to share him, the local media would tear him apart and some fans would be very mad about it. Even if Fleck doesn't want Suggs, I think he will take him to keep fans happy. Even if he adds absolutely nothing to the team, it may be worth taking him. But he's athletic enough that Fleck should be able to find some way to use it, even if it's as a backup or not as a quarterback.

He's a good enough player that it would be very bad if he wanted to come here but he went somewhere else because Fleck and Pitino couldn't figure out how to share him.

I doubt many schools would let him play both sports. If he goes elsewhere it would be because he drops football and goes to Kentucky where Cal has great success sending guards to the NBA.

Why the name calling ! You can look at at many ways and still be a fan. There are dozens of really smart people very close and loyal to the program who do not think Pitino is special at all, who do not see him ever winning this conference or getting to a final 4, we still hope we can be competitive in the conference. We have not been that and that does not make us trolls. There is a third group like me who it is not either or on Pitino, we are lets see one more year to see if there is anything at all there.

You're not a troll. You bring factual evidence and are willing for discussion. You're goal is not to rile up people. There is a ton of fair criticism again Pitino and it's all justified. Problem is so many people are so rudimentary with their criticism, but you call them out too. Fan bases have extremes at all sides. Kentucky has fans who think Coach Cal is a bad. Plenty of Wiskey fans were dumping on Gard last year too. Criticism is integral parts of growth and success as long as it's fair and justified and solutions are offered.

I doubt many schools would let him play both sports. If he goes elsewhere it would be because he drops football and goes to Kentucky where Cal has great success sending guards to the NBA.

sounds like we have a leg up if we let him do both. Honestly, I think he'd figure out it was tough to do both, than hopefully join Pitino fill time

sounds like we have a leg up if we let him do both. Honestly, I think he'd figure out it was tough to do both, than hopefully join Pitino fill time

I have no inside scoop or anything of the sort, just wishes. It would be he first time I have heard a power five school allow a player to play football and basketball, I imagine it would not be an easy task for any parties involved but it has to be possible.

I have no inside scoop or anything of the sort, just wishes. It would be he first time I have heard a power five school allow a player to play football and basketball, I imagine it would not be an easy task for any parties involved but it has to be possible.

Sure, skip school

Its possible, but no social life and probably exhausting

For us, but any guy who can even think about that is borderline superhuman anyway. I recall being exhausted in college without a D-1 sports regimen. It's an interesting discussion, but some handler along the line is going to tell him he's nuts and risking a pro career if he tries both. Not likely to happen.

Charley Ward at Florida State. Effective at both but was a late addition to hoops if I recall. Long time ago, too.

Julius Peppers played both at North Carolina. If memory serves, he was pretty good at both.

Bryant Allen played both for us as well for one year, then transferred to Southern Illinois I believe.

Julius Peppers played both at North Carolina. If memory serves, he was pretty good at both.

Didn't say it wasn't possible. I would love to see it. I just think in this day and age, way too many people will be in the ear of the kid to not take the risk, much moreso than even when Peppers did it.

If you play college football, you can't be on scholarship for any other sport so in pretty much all cases, football is the athletes primary sport, then basketball (or whatever sport) is the secondary one. Julius Peppers played basketball for just his sophomore and junior years. Charlie Ward played just 33 basketball games total his junior and senior seasons. It can work out pretty good for the basketball team because they potentially get a good player and don't have to use one of their 13 scholarships.

It just depends on where his heart is and what he really wants to do. If the NBA is his ultimate goal, I see him just playing basketball.

Top Bottom