***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

‪I totally agree that if any of us were in his shoes, We wouldn’t even think twice about it and would drop football. But until he officially quits football, I think we still have to view it as a possibility in his recruitment. He got invited to and all indications are he will compete in the Elite 11 QB competition so he hasn’t given it up yet. Especially with Kyler Murray’s recent success, I could see a situation where we see more and more two sport athletes carrying it over to college. The likelihood of Jalen doing it is probably slim (especially with the two seasons overlapping) but at the same time sometimes their competitiveness takes over as it did with Murray. ‬

In his shoes it would be awfully difficult to turn down some of the offers he has.

Q&A with Tre Williams, per Marcus:

Q: How well do you know point guard Jalen Suggs from Minnehaha Academy?

A: That’s my cousin. We’re family. Growing up, I used to go out to Minnesota every single summer since I was 8 years old. My mom had family out there. And I would stay with Jalen’s family, hang out and work out with them. I’ve known them forever. He came to Dallas and played on my team for AAU nationals. So I’ve known him for awhile. My mom and his dad grew up together from middle school. They’ve been close ever since, so we’re pretty much family. We call each other cousins. Blood couldn’t make us any closer.

Q: Wouldn’t it be cool for you guys to play together with the Gophers?

A: No doubt. I’ve been in his ear non-stop. If me and him team up at Minnesota, then it could be big time. He’s just so versatile. He can track more than one defender on every play, which opens up a lot on the court. He can spread the court. He can shoot the ball, get to the rim and he’s athletic. I just feel like at the point, being 6-4, 6-5 being able to get around a defender, it just opens up the court. He’s a good passer as well, so him and I together would be a good duo. I haven’t been back to Minnesota since I came on my visit. But I saw him last summer in Vegas at the Fab 48 and we hung out a bit.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...year-for-nationally-ranked-hs-team/505085472/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

That is LOVELY news. A strong finish in March and winning a tourney game could go a long way with the perception of the program locally

Go Gophers!!

I thought that was Suggs in the background when Murph gave his speech.

What a great game to have recruits at.

Suggs was all smiles watching the players and students celebrate.

A lot of elite recruits would have given the I'm too cool vibe, he seemed to really be enjoying it FWIW.

Go Gophers!!

isn't basketball season over? in what capacity is Pitino seeing Suggs on Thursday?

possibly open gym.....or just as simple as sitting down with him in a conference room or wherever and talking

Nope. Pitino doesn’t recruit 5 stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Hoiberg signs him it’ll be Hoigbergs second ever Minnesota high school signee

You are correct....Fred will build Nebraska with transfers, and he has great connections with Minnesota high school coaches from his days with the wolves ....he will be able to get to some MN recruits not open to Pitino, especially with his NBA pedigree.

You are correct....Fred will build Nebraska with transfers, and he has great connections with Minnesota high school coaches from his days with the wolves ....he will be able to get to some MN recruits not open to Pitino, especially with his NBA pedigree.

Just stop making stuff up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The majority of HS coaches have quit or retired since Fred was with the Wolves (I'm one of them). He never had great "connections" to the HS scene either way. He hates recruiting and relays on his assistants to get the kids. The funny part is the guy he replaced at Nebraska actually did have great connections. Fred's NBA pedigree helps, but getting a MN kid to Lincoln will be a stretch based solely on "connections".

You're love affair for Fred is quite interesting. He hit the gold mine in the transfer market. That market is less rich now and still a huge gamble. Suggs will end up Blue Blood or at the U.

I thought Suggs wanted to play with his cousin Tre' Williams.

The majority of HS coaches have quit or retired since Fred was with the Wolves (I'm one of them). He never had great "connections" to the HS scene either way. He hates recruiting and relays on his assistants to get the kids. The funny part is the guy he replaced at Nebraska actually did have great connections. Fred's NBA pedigree helps, but getting a MN kid to Lincoln will be a stretch based solely on "connections".

You're love affair for Fred is quite interesting. He hit the gold mine in the transfer market. That market is less rich now and still a huge gamble. Suggs will end up Blue Blood or at the U.

I hope you are right! I am not sure I have a love affair so much with Fred. I just think he is a pretty big upgrade over Pitino. I hope I am wrong but I think Pitino has taken the program as far as he can.
The next few months will tell us much. He has a lot of open slots to fill. Does he fill them with the GIJU and Konates who add little bench value or the Akim Spring type of players. I hope he finds the best and loads up with shooters......his judgement on talent is also suspect. either he cannot develop players (jelly) or he does not know how to build a B1G team that really can compete.

I hope you are right! I am not sure I have a love affair so much with Fred. I just think he is a pretty big upgrade over Pitino. I hope I am wrong but I think Pitino has taken the program as far as he can.
The next few months will tell us much. He has a lot of open slots to fill. Does he fill them with the GIJU and Konates who add little bench value or the Akim Spring type of players. I hope he finds the best and loads up with shooters......his judgement on talent is also suspect. either he cannot develop players (jelly) or he does not know how to build a B1G team that really can compete.
Pitino literally built a team that was a #5 seed in the NCAA tournament. You’re the worst troll of the bunch

Why the name calling ! You can look at at many ways and still be a fan. There are dozens of really smart people very close and loyal to the program who do not think Pitino is special at all, who do not see him ever winning this conference or getting to a final 4, we still hope we can be competitive in the conference. We have not been that and that does not make us trolls. There is a third group like me who it is not either or on Pitino, we are lets see one more year to see if there is anything at all there.

Coorection: Pitino doesn't know ho to build a team that can compete in the B1G while dealing with injuries to four of his top six players in the rotation and multiple sexual assault allegations to his B1G Defensive Player of the Year resulting in his suspension.

Really good coaches are able to anticipate these types of setbacks and recruit proper depth on the bench to make up for it!

Imagine for instance, Duke, look at what happened to them without Zion. Now, imagine Zion, Reddish, Barrett and Jones all went down for extended injuries and his other 5* starter was kicked out of school for not wearing his polo collar up like Duke students are supposed to. How far do you think Saint K would have gotten this year? NIT champions? Out in the first round of the NIT?

Face facts Pitino Haters, if not for 100 year bad luck during last season. Pitino would easily be on a 3 year run of NCAA tournament invites. Now go back to ogling women you can't hook up with in Palos Verdes.

Coorection: Pitino doesn't know ho to build a team that can compete in the B1G while dealing with injuries to four of his top six players in the rotation and multiple sexual assault allegations to his B1G Defensive Player of the Year resulting in his suspension.

Really good coaches are able to anticipate these types of setbacks and recruit proper depth on the bench to make up for it!

Imagine for instance, Duke, look at what happened to them without Zion. Now, imagine Zion, Reddish, Barrett and Jones all went down for extended injuries and his other 5* starter was kicked out of school for not wearing his polo collar up like Duke students are supposed to. How far do you think Saint K would have gotten this year? NIT champions? Out in the first round of the NIT?

Face facts Pitino Haters, if not for 100 year bad luck during last season. Pitino would easily be on a 3 year run of NCAA tournament invites. Now go back to ogling women you can't hook up with in Palos Verdes.

What about recruiting high character kids to start, what about installing a defense from the start ? There have to be questions when you are under.400 in 6 years in the conference that are not washed away with if, would have, could have.

Top Bottom