***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

I was going to try and get to this game last night, but wasn't able to.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

STrib: Five high school juniors who lead Minnesota's football class of 2020

Aidan Bouman, Buffalo, QB: A classic pro-style dropback passer who stands 6-5, with a strong arm and off-the-charts football IQ. Committed to Iowa State.

RaJa Nelson, Lakeville North, RB/DB: A jack-of-all-trades who does everything well — run, catch, return kicks, cover receivers and tackle in space.

Craig McDonald, SMB, WR/DB: Good field-stretcher at WR but at his best in coverage, with four interceptions and 16 passes defensed in 2018.

Jalen Suggs, SMB, QB: There are rumors that Suggs, a dual threat with a strong arm and exceptional running ability, may forgo his final season to prepare for basketball.

Jonathan Mann, Rosemount, WR: Long and lean (6-4, 190) with excellent ball skills and the speed to turn short gains into long ones. Committed to Minnesota.

https://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/978567

Go Gophers!!

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie reports that Pitino went to Suggs' practice last week:

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

In the Grinch style response, one needs to ask Doogie why Pitino is even bothering since there is no chance he can ever land a decent local recruit, and if he does, it's because he lucked out or the recruit was overlooked.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!
This kid is getting scholarships from the top SEC football teams and there's rumors he's forgoing his senior football season to pursue basketball? how athletic/talented/skilled is this kid? sounds like the next Joe Mauer

This kid is getting scholarships from the top SEC football teams and there's rumors he's forgoing his senior football season to pursue basketball? how athletic/talented/skilled is this kid? sounds like the next Joe Mauer

Suggs is easily the best athlete to come out of this state since Mauer. Quite frankly, nobody really comes that close. Hard to compare the two as I would say that Mauer had a better arm and was a better overall QB, but Suggs is easily faster and more athletic and it shows with how he dominates on the court. Tremendous talent and I hope one of the Gopher coaches(Fleck or Pitino) can keep him here.

Suggs is easily the best athlete to come out of this state since Mauer. Quite frankly, nobody really comes that close. Hard to compare the two as I would say that Mauer had a better arm and was a better overall QB, but Suggs is easily faster and more athletic and it shows with how he dominates on the court. Tremendous talent and I hope one of the Gopher coaches(Fleck or Pitino) can keep him here.

Wonderful athlete. Recruiting has a long ways to go. If he accomplishes half of what Mauer got done it will be a massive success.

I haven’t had the chance to watch Suggs yet, but I don’t doubt you are right. I wonder how far behind Tyler Johnson would be though. Three sport athlete that led his team to state in football and basketball. Great ups and quickness

I haven’t had the chance to watch Suggs yet, but I don’t doubt you are right. I wonder how far behind Tyler Johnson would be though. Three sport athlete that led his team to state in football and basketball. Great ups and quickness

Johnson was way under valued, tremendous athlete. Only Dave Winfield rivals Mauer as he was mid major basketball, top one or two in the country in baseball and top 10 in the country in football.

Chip: Minnehaha Academy's Jalen Suggs can pick his college and one of two sports — or both

Jalen Suggs is a high school athlete with appealing college options. Lots of them.

The Minnehaha Academy junior is one of the nation’s top quarterbacks and top point guards. He is being recruited by the bluest of blue-blood programs in both sports.

He holds football scholarship offers from Ohio State and Georgia, and basketball offers from Kansas and Gonzaga. He has taken football recruiting visits to Alabama and Notre Dame and communicates regularly with Duke’s basketball coaches.

The general assumption is that Suggs faces a dilemma in choosing a sport for college. Football or basketball. Either or.

Why choose? Why not play both?

“It’s definitely a possibility,” Suggs said.

http://www.startribune.com/minnehah...lege-and-one-of-two-sports-or-both/503668832/

Go Gophers!!

If he is still thinking of playing football at the college level, then he is probably not thinking about skipping his senior football season.

One of those rumors is definitely wrong.

If I am him I just focus on basketball.. Playing two sports isn't a serious option after college, and basketball players stand to make more money than football players in a less violent game. Not sure if he would expect to play QB in college, but if he doesn't change positions, it may be hard to crack the starting lineup of these programs..

If he does want the best of both worlds, then Minnesota is probably the best option.

Jalen Suggs liked this tweet

He has fantastic football offers. Blue bloods and others think he is playing football. Not even offering in basketball. Ohio State thought they had him but Meyer leaving affected that. Harbaughs have a relationship with him. Should get really interesting.

Maybe if Fleck and Pitino get together and let him play both sports he'll choose MN.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Those guys saw a FUN game and a FUN brand of basketball played by the Gophs last night.

High Low action for the bigs

Amir in transition for athletic wings

Dupree playing tough defense for 3/d guys

Curry with some solo post moves

Gabe with a youngster getting buckets

Crowd going crazy for a couple local kids....

Those guys saw a FUN game and a FUN brand of basketball played by the Gophs last night.

High Low action for the bigs

Amir in transition for athletic wings

Dupree playing tough defense for 3/d guys

Curry with some solo post moves

Gabe with a youngster getting buckets

Crowd going crazy for a couple local kids....

Suggs had to like McBrayer's lobs and picture himself making those with a better handle!

great timing to show up and give one of the best offensive perfomances of the Pitino era.

Does anyone have an idea what Jalen is leaning towards (60% chance football vs 40% bball)? As a fan of both Gopher football and basketball I don't care which one he picks as long as he picks Minnesota.

Does anyone have an idea what Jalen is leaning towards (60% chance football vs 40% bball)? As a fan of both Gopher football and basketball I don't care which one he picks as long as he picks Minnesota.

It seems like he’s a lean towards basketball if he has to choose as he’s probably a one and done but it definitely seems he’s strongly considering playing both sports in college. If he were to play both, the Gophers have a pretty strong case to make. I’m not sure whether they grew up together or not but he’d been playing with Kaden Johnson and Terry Lockett for a few years before Lockett transferred to Spire in Ohio and those two seem to be Gopher football leans right now. Then on the basketball side, Oturu, Gabe, Curry, Carr etc. will still be around while Pitino seems to be in a good spot with Dawson Garcia in the 2020 class and there’s also Dainja who he plays AAU ball with.

There’s no denying that the talent will be there if he wants to stay home.

Looking at his build and his rankings in each sport, he'd be smart to go Basketball first and dump football. more cash in a quicker time period.

It seems like he’s a lean towards basketball if he has to choose as he’s probably a one and done but it definitely seems he’s strongly considering playing both sports in college. If he were to play both, the Gophers have a pretty strong case to make. I’m not sure whether they grew up together or not but he’d been playing with Kaden Johnson and Terry Lockett for a few years before Lockett transferred to Spire in Ohio and those two seem to be Gopher football leans right now. Then on the basketball side, Oturu, Gabe, Curry, Carr etc. will still be around while Pitino seems to be in a good spot with Dawson Garcia in the 2020 class and there’s also Dainja who he plays AAU ball with.

There’s no denying that the talent will be there if he wants to stay home.

If his vision is one and done, he is about basketball. And basketball only. Virtually impossible to one and done it in football, and probably impossible to do it while playing both sports in college. It would be cool to see another Charlie Ward, but big time sports seem to have so many more injuries now than in the past that the injury risk is just too high for likely future pros.

If his vision is one and done, he is about basketball. And basketball only. Virtually impossible to one and done it in football, and probably impossible to do it while playing both sports in college. It would be cool to see another Charlie Ward, but big time sports seem to have so many more injuries now than in the past that the injury risk is just too high for likely future pros.

Unless the rule changes, it actually is impossible to be one and done in football.

Hell, just on the differences in player unions in the NBA and NFL alone, playing basketball is a no-brainer. The NFLPA is the worst (by far) of the 4 major league sports. Can't get their players guaranteed contracts, there's a hard salary cap, large rookie contracts were effectively killed with the last CBA, and they ceded absolute authority to the commissioner over all conduct issues. If Jalen has a choice between the two sports, he should run far away from a career in football and toward one in the NBA.

‪I totally agree that if any of us were in his shoes, We wouldn’t even think twice about it and would drop football. But until he officially quits football, I think we still have to view it as a possibility in his recruitment. He got invited to and all indications are he will compete in the Elite 11 QB competition so he hasn’t given it up yet. Especially with Kyler Murray’s recent success, I could see a situation where we see more and more two sport athletes carrying it over to college. The likelihood of Jalen doing it is probably slim (especially with the two seasons overlapping) but at the same time sometimes their competitiveness takes over as it did with Murray. ‬

Top Bottom