***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

I don't know how to post a dang tweet...……..

but Tre Williams replied to Marcus Fullers Tweet about Pitino doing an in home visit with Suggs saying "Let's make it happen twin" with a hand writing emoji

he certainly wont hurt our chances to get Suggs!

On twitter you can click embed tweet on the tweet itself, copy/paste the embed link here

I think many gopher fans, and pitino himself realized he took few too many character risks. Character risks paid off for Hoiberg as I mentioned.

The keep pitino crowd, which I'm a luke warm member, is excited about last years class and seeing if he can surround them with other kids and view that as legit progress. I'm not overall happy with 6 years.

I'm not asking for national title, I'm asking for consistent NCAA tourney runs along with some runs in tourney.

I think Pitino can do it, I also understand why it's hard to understand that faith.

What I do know (or 100% believe) that changing coaches every 3-4 years hoping to strike Chris Beard is tough way to go.

Agree with every word of your post and i apologize for not sticking to the thread.

Agree with every word of your post and i apologize for not sticking to the thread.

They all get derailed. Getting Suggs will only help the program

I don't expect roster of 100% MN players or him to get every (or even most of) blue chip kids, but he needs to win occasional one. Last years class was a great start, and hopefully not exception

I'm optimistic on Suggs

I take issue with those who want to evaluate Pitino based solely, or largely, on his six-year record. I think one needs to look beyond that to consider what has contributed to that record and whether he shows signs of maturing into a top-level coach. A big factor is the fact that he was not ready to be a Power 6 coach at the time Norwood Teague hired him. He made recruiting errors and they have cost us. His recent recruiting, though, in my opinion, has vastly improved. In terms of his on-court record, in his first season, with inherited talent, he won 25 games and finished 7th in the Big Ten. The next year he won 18 and finished in a 10th place tie, then dropped to 8 wins and 13th place. He then popped back up to 24 wins in the 2016-2017 season and a 4th place Big Ten finish. His fifth season began with great promise and lofty national rankings only to explode with injuries and a crippling suspension. Without the loss of 4 of his top 6 rotation players that year, I believe he would have continued on the trajectory that he began the prior year, and that would have resulted in a stronger showing this year.
There is merit in the contentions of some that there needs to be pressure to achieve at high levels of success, and that, as a fan base, we should not be content with mediocrity. But there is also, in my opinion, a need for program stability to permit it to reach those levels. Constantly starting over is unlikely to be successful. The question is whether Pitino has the potential to take us where we all want to go, and I think he does. I think he is smart, learns quickly, communicates well, and handles adversity and criticism well. I also think he has demonstrated integrity and decency. Long-term, those are the ingredients of a successful coach.

I take issue with those who want to evaluate Pitino based solely, or largely, on his six-year record. I think one needs to look beyond that to consider what has contributed to that record and whether he shows signs of maturing into a top-level coach. A big factor is the fact that he was not ready to be a Power 6 coach at the time Norwood Teague hired him. He made recruiting errors and they have cost us. His recent recruiting, though, in my opinion, has vastly improved. In terms of his on-court record, in his first season, with inherited talent, he won 25 games and finished 7th in the Big Ten. The next year he won 18 and finished in a 10th place tie, then dropped to 8 wins and 13th place. He then popped back up to 24 wins in the 2016-2017 season and a 4th place Big Ten finish. His fifth season began with great promise and lofty national rankings only to explode with injuries and a crippling suspension. Without the loss of 4 of his top 6 rotation players that year, I believe he would have continued on the trajectory that he began the prior year, and that would have resulted in a stronger showing this year.
There is merit in the contentions of some that there needs to be pressure to achieve at high levels of success, and that, as a fan base, we should not be content with mediocrity. But there is also, in my opinion, a need for program stability to permit it to reach those levels. Constantly starting over is unlikely to be successful. The question is whether Pitino has the potential to take us where we all want to go, and I think he does. I think he is smart, learns quickly, communicates well, and handles adversity and criticism well. I also think he has demonstrated integrity and decency. Long-term, those are the ingredients of a successful coach.

LETS TALK ABOUT SUGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Full court press is on for Beekman. There are not 5 better point guards in that class.

My friend, I have said the same thing in different words over and over. May those who have ears listen. You are speaking God's words here.

What are the Gophers chances of landing Suggs? Or do you think he is stringing us along like Hurt did?

What are the Gophers chances of landing Suggs? Or do you think he is stringing us along like Hurt did?

0% not even trying to be funny. It has been rumored for a while that he is trying to go prep then enter the draft if the rule does not allow him to go straight out of High School. I know some of the people in the know (not trying to troll or bs about it) and He has teammates (Chet Holmgren & Prince) who are both interested in the U but Jalen isn't

0% not even trying to be funny. It has been rumored for a while that he is trying to go prep then enter the draft if the rule does not allow him to go straight out of High School. I know some of the people in the know (not trying to troll or bs about it) and He has teammates (Chet Holmgren & Prince) who are both interested in the U but Jalen isn't

Funny. Different people in the know sharing different things. Who knows who is really in the know? Your definitive 0% is too strong at this point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"People in the know" said Hurt was going to Memphis, yet he's reportedly down to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and North Carolina. No idea who you know, but a lot of people assume that if you live in close proximity to a player, go to the same school, or have a mutual acquaintance, that somehow means you're in the know. Even having a legitimate personal relationship with a player doesn't mean you know where they're going to college before everyone else.

"People in the know" said Hurt was going to Memphis, yet he's reportedly down to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and North Carolina. No idea who you know, but a lot of people assume that if you live in close proximity to a player, go to the same school, or have a mutual acquaintance, that somehow means you're in the know. Even having a legitimate personal relationship with a player doesn't mean you know where they're going to college before everyone else.

When Hurt signs somewhere other than the U, semenfan will act like he was in the know all along, despite anyone with a brain being virtually certain that he was never going to sign here.

I mean you don't have to believe it. I am just saying what was a discussion after the state tourney with a few people affiliated with Grassroots

I mean you don't have to believe it. I am just saying what was a discussion after the state tourney with a few people affiliated with Grassroots

I'm not saying you're wrong. You could be 100% spot on. I just know that people frequently phrase guesses/speculation in a way that sounds like it's a fact. When people who are in some way associated with a player do that, people mistakenly think they're getting inside info when they really aren't. Not saying that's the case here, but that without a doubt happens. I appreciate you and other people passing along info though.

Is he gonna go prep after his senior year of football because all reports say he definitely wants to play that at Minnehaha? Seems like there is a lot more optimism the last couple months about Jalen staying home and maybe trying to play both.

Is he gonna go prep after his senior year of football because all reports say he definitely wants to play that at Minnehaha? Seems like there is a lot more optimism the last couple months about Jalen staying home and maybe trying to play both.

Unless someone commits early i learned a long time ago that these things are fickle. I have been told by kids and parents that they were a lock for so and so and the next day announce for another school. Smart coaches offer early but do not wait and fill as they go. Blue bloods can wait but others identify a whole bunch of kids they really like and move on when someone takes their spot. We just watched a national title won by a team that missed on their 1st 6 point guard choices and take a 5'7 kid ranked 360 with one offer and he started this year as a true freshman, heating up the ball and filling his role. This staff here is going after a wide range of kids they like. These are teenage kids that often change their mind but the longer they wait, unless they dream of staying home are waiting to see what blue blood rosters are going to look like.

Grassroots is sketchy, I wouldn't trust a ton of what I'd hear from them.

per Marcus:

Who are the best boys' basketball recruits in Minnesota's Class of 2020?

Here are five of the top Minnesota boys’ basketball players in the Class of 2020. The Gophers have made scholarship offers to all five. All are uncommitted.

1. Jalen Suggs Minnehaha Academy G 6-5, 185
2. Dawson Garcia Prior Lake PF 6-11, 220
3. Dain Dainja Park Center C 6-8, 240
4. Ben Carlson East Ridge PF 6-9, 205
5. Kerwin Walton Hopkins G 6-4, 170

http://www.startribune.com/who-are-...ruits-in-minnesota-s-class-of-2020/508785282/

Go Gophers!!

Very low. Gonzaga should be considered the heavy favorites. Duke is the one program that could swoop in and change that from what I hear.

Don’t think he’ll string us along though. Should be verbally committed by the end of the summer at the latest. Think he could decide within the next month or two.

43553f3130a02be12a6cc1fdf1ee4af8.jpg

Looks like we gotta pick up Gresham now [emoji102]

43553f3130a02be12a6cc1fdf1ee4af8.jpg

Looks like we gotta pick up Gresham now [emoji102]

Lol. I really want Gresham anyways, but if it maybe helps our chances with Suggs having Donnell in his ear during his one year here I'm all in!

Top Bottom