***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

So when are you going to give us your insight on the wonderful things about the program? So far, you have only posted your criticisms of Pitino.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your not telling the truth. I have noted several things he has done well several times. Best staff he has had, games where the scouting board and prep were excellent, several strong recruits. Not afraid to call it the other way either. Denying problems will fail. I despise how the program was built from the standpoint of character and lack of identity. I have been very disappointed that there is not a central identity that we hang our hat on everyday. I have despised the poor kenpom results and he now aknowledges that as all have known for years how critical that is to winning conference titles, advancing in the tourney,getting to final 4's and even winning the national title. Except for UCONN it has been a requirement. Defense carries you when shots are not falling and they call out character, build a mental and physical toughness. He has been good in the community, he has been terrible in the winning games category, getting guys to the NBA, being a big 10 title contender.

I have no inside scoop or anything of the sort, just wishes. It would be he first time I have heard a power five school allow a player to play football and basketball, I imagine it would not be an easy task for any parties involved but it has to be possible.

That's silly. It wouldn't even be the first time at Minnesota.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you, I am young and didn't follow gopher sports that close until 7 years ago or so

One of my favorites was Dave Winfield. Played basketball and baseball. I think his scholarship was for baseball. I doubled in broomball and ice fishing - but not on scholarship.

The kid is a one and done basketball player so this seems like a moot point. If he's playing at all at QB as a true freshman that's also juggling another sport, the football team has a problem.

The kid is a one and done basketball player so this seems like a moot point. If he's playing at all at QB as a true freshman that's also juggling another sport, the football team has a problem.

There is always a spot on the team for a playmaker

One and done? I’m not convinced he’ll be in the nba that fast. I think 2 or 3 years much more likely.

One and done? I’m not convinced he’ll be in the nba that fast. I think 2 or 3 years much more likely. It really depends on where he pays.

One and done? I’m not convinced he’ll be in the nba that fast. I think 2 or 3 years much more likely. It really depends on where he pays.

He's a composite top 10 recruit in the country and consensus top 15. Those guys usually are one and done.

There is a real chance he plays both football and basketball at the U. Fleck is the pitchman and Suggs is listening. It would be amazing having a 5-star walk-on b-ball player haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that Suggs is likely not a 1 and done. He is very talented but right now his game is based on overwhelming opponents with his size, strength, and athleticism. Doesn’t quite have the polish that most 1 and done guards do, may take an additional year in college to develop before he will be a lottery pick.

At the same time, I think Suggs is the most likely of the recent 5 star MN players to stay home and play for the Gophers. Purely conjecture but I think he is a real Gopher fan and wants to rep the team he grew up rooting for. Similar to Oturu in that regard. He just strikes me as different than the other 5 star kids. I’m probably wrong but I just have a good feeling that Jalen will finally be the one who stays home.

I agree that Suggs is likely not a 1 and done. He is very talented but right now his game is based on overwhelming opponents with his size, strength, and athleticism. Doesn’t quite have the polish that most 1 and done guards do, may take an additional year in college to develop before he will be a lottery pick.

At the same time, I think Suggs is the most likely of the recent 5 star MN players to stay home and play for the Gophers. Purely conjecture but I think he is a real Gopher fan and wants to rep the team he grew up rooting for. Similar to Oturu in that regard. He just strikes me as different than the other 5 star kids. I’m probably wrong but I just have a good feeling that Jalen will finally be the one who stays home.

Does he have "MINNESOTA" tattooed across his back like Jarvis?

Does he have "MINNESOTA" tattooed across his back like Jarvis?

Perhaps more importantly, what club team does he play for? If it’s D—1, I am skeptical . One of the others, maybe. A commitment from him could e a big draw for other guys.

Perhaps more importantly, what club team does he play for? If it’s D—1, I am skeptical . One of the others, maybe. A commitment from him could e a big draw for other guys.

He plays for Grassroots

Does walking on as a basketball player affect him in any way?

No but if he's on scholarship for football, I imagine the football coach would want him to play the whole season which would mean he would miss the first half of the basketball season.

More importantly, his signing might help get the other studs from Minnehaha Academy!

how does it? Darius Garland signed at Vandy, didn't play and will be a lottery pick. Suggs will be a 1 and done easily if he chooses. Probably best MN player since Tyus and is has a game suited for the NBA.

how does it? Darius Garland signed at Vandy, didn't play and will be a lottery pick. Suggs will be a 1 and done easily if he chooses. Probably best MN player since Tyus and is has a game suited for the NBA.

Better player, bigger, quicker than Tyus. How anyone thinks he’s not one and done caliber is beyond me. That doesn’t mean he will choose to do so. If NBA rules change, he is one of the players consistently mentioned who has the talent to get drafted out of high school.

It’s funny how people undervalue a kid because he’s from “here”, even though he has been a dominant player beyond the state for years.

Suggs will be a one and done. I’m honestly surprised he didn’t reclassify to get to the NBA sooner. I think football had something to do with that.

He is physically so gifted. Big, strong. Ready for D1 and beyond right now

Your not telling the truth. I have noted several things he has done well several times. Best staff he has had, games where the scouting board and prep were excellent, several strong recruits. Not afraid to call it the other way either. Denying problems will fail. I despise how the program was built from the standpoint of character and lack of identity. I have been very disappointed that there is not a central identity that we hang our hat on everyday. I have despised the poor kenpom results and he now aknowledges that as all have known for years how critical that is to winning conference titles, advancing in the tourney,getting to final 4's and even winning the national title. Except for UCONN it has been a requirement. Defense carries you when shots are not falling and they call out character, build a mental and physical toughness. He has been good in the community, he has been terrible in the winning games category, getting guys to the NBA, being a big 10 title contender.

You don’t have to stoop to calling me a liar.

If you have made these comments it has been in passing and I missed them. It was nice of you to summarize those points, but again you use most of your post for criticism.

It look like one could summarize most of your criticism into the growing pains of a young coach that got his shot to early. This is his first time running a team and his initial ideas about identity obviously were morphed based upon personnel and experience. He discussed having a tough nose defense and that identity started to show in some games at the end of this season. Adding more defensive minded, athletic players will go a long way in cementing that identity. He is one of the first ones to admit that he reached and failed those first few years on recruits that hurt the team. Some other reach recruits had character issues, but they didn’t stay with the team long. For the most part, Pitino has recruited some very high character guys!

Just asking, do you have a grudge against Pitino because he got the job instead of some other “friends of yours” that you though should have got it? Just wondering, because you seem to have too much of a preconceived bias against him then someone with your experience should. He is a young coach, when do we get to the point that you don’t hold all of his “learning years” against him and start judging him by the current level of performance?

If you have made these comments it has been in passing and I missed them. It was nice of you to summarize those points, but again you use most of your post for criticism.

It look like one could summarize most of your criticism into the growing pains of a young coach that got his shot to early. This is his first time running a team and his initial ideas about identity obviously were morphed based upon personnel and experience. He discussed having a tough nose defense and that identity started to show in some games at the end of this season. Adding more defensive minded, athletic players will go a long way in cementing that identity. He is one of the first ones to admit that he reached and failed those first few years on recruits that hurt the team. Some other reach recruits had character issues, but they didn’t stay with the team long. For the most part, Pitino has recruited some very high character guys!

Just asking, do you have a grudge against Pitino because he got the job instead of some other “friends of yours” that you though should have got it? Just wondering, because you seem to have too much of a preconceived bias against him then someone with your experience should. He is a young coach, when do we get to the point that you don’t hold all of his “learning years” against him and start judging him by the current level of performance?

Pitino doesn't need you to be his white knight. He has a highly compensated position that inherently brings criticism along with it. He will be criticized on this board. Deal with it.

No but if he's on scholarship for football, I imagine the football coach would want him to play the whole season which would mean he would miss the first half of the basketball season.

I see why Fleck would feel that way but if he were to come here and play both sports I'm sure he would make it clear that basketball would be his priority since it makes more sense for him long term, and Fleck would understand he's not getting the minimum of three years out of players he is used to move him to a pass throwing WR type role, with limited practice time in the fall.

Top ten basketball recruits do not play situational football. Hard to get an insurance policy for your NBA career if you are subjecting yourself to potential head to head collisions.

Top ten basketball recruits do not play situational football. Hard to get an insurance policy for your NBA career if you are subjecting yourself to potential head to head collisions.

I actually agree with you that he probably should drop football, but if he loves both sports and wants to play both in college that may be an option.

Just remember: IT'S ALL HYPOTHETICAL!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

No grudge, my friends in coaching got better jobs and far exceeded Pitino's record. How long do you think he should get to lets say finish top 3 in the conference just once ? What about the no identity issue in 6 years, or now finally paying attention to efficiency ! As for character, we let bad ones in over and over again while other schools would not touch them. The current performance was a under .500 conference record again. My firm has tracked what and how coaches build early and how those translate to early success if your ever going to. I did say i support bringing him back for one more try but our family did vote to keep the tickets, lower the gift and give to our programs by level of success. I am sick and tired of being a under .500 team, i want conference titles, i want what UW did.

No grudge, my friends in coaching got better jobs and far exceeded Pitino's record. How long do you think he should get to lets say finish top 3 in the conference just once ? What about the no identity issue in 6 years, or now finally paying attention to efficiency ! As for character, we let bad ones in over and over again while other schools would not touch them. The current performance was a under .500 conference record again. My firm has tracked what and how coaches build early and how those translate to early success if your ever going to. I did say i support bringing him back for one more try but our family did vote to keep the tickets, lower the gift and give to our programs by level of success. I am sick and tired of being a under .500 team, i want conference titles, i want what UW did.

I still don’t know why you are here. You post on Gopher message boards and are a Gopher season ticket holder but all you want to do is talk Badgers and wish the Gophers were the Badgers. Why don’t you just take the leap and join a Badger message board and buy tickets to the Kohl Center. You would be far happier and we’d no longer have to put up with your whining about the Badgers when we just want to talk about the Gophers.

If you insist on staying, at least change your damn user name.

Top Bottom