***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

STrib: Prized recruit Jalen Suggs eyes 'early August' college commitment

Making a verbal commitment to a college in early August and much love for Gonzaga are the top nuggets in a recent recruiting update on Jalen Suggs, Minnehaha Academy superstar guard.

Evan Daniels of 247Sports caught up with Suggs as the incoming senior played with USA Basketball at the FIBA Under-19 World Cup tournament in Greece. The state’s most heralded player, Suggs is ranked No. 14 in the nation in the Class of 2020 and the No. 2 point guard, according to Rivals.com. He led the Redhawks to a third-consecutive Class 2A state basketball tournament title and quarterbacked the football team to a 2018 state championship.

Suggs, who has assistant basketball coaches from Gonzaga, Minnesota and Iowa State evaluating his play in Greece, told Daniels he’s “starting to narrow” his college options and is “getting to the point where I kind of want to make a decision here soon.”

How soon?

“Early August is a good spot for me soon, something that I think I want to do,” Suggs told Daniels. “It’s kind of getting to that point where I’m getting into my senior season and I’ve kind of talked to everyone I’ve wanted to talk to.

Though a two-sport star with an eye on playing both basketball and football in college, Suggs had much more to say about his basketball future.

In the interview, he said Gonzaga is "definitely at the top of the charts, I talk to the coaching staff almost every day. In addition, Suggs said, “I talk to Dom [Harris] and Julian [Strawther], who are two recruits who have committed there for 2020, almost every day.

“I think we’re all going to go on the same trip; we’re planning to go to the North Carolina game,” Suggs said.

http://www.startribune.com/national...es-early-august-college-commitment/512181392/

Go Gophers!!

yeah that article makes it sound like a relatively done deal

Maybe his cousin can convince him to play with him at the U.

per Shooter:

A little birdie says Minnehaha Academy incoming senior five-star point guard Jalen Suggs will commit to Gonzaga for basketball, but isn’t ready to announce because that would eliminate an invitation to the Under Armour All-America football game in Orlando, Fla., in January.

The 6-foot-4 Suggs also is a standout QB but will play basketball in college, then try to head for the NBA draft after one year. Suggs has played well for the U.S. Under-19 basketball team in the current World Cup in Greece.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/06/charley-walters-future-looks-bright-for-minnesotas-3m-open/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

A little birdie says Minnehaha Academy incoming senior five-star point guard Jalen Suggs will commit to Gonzaga for basketball, but isn’t ready to announce because that would eliminate an invitation to the Under Armour All-America football game in Orlando, Fla., in January.

The 6-foot-4 Suggs also is a standout QB but will play basketball in college, then try to head for the NBA draft after one year. Suggs has played well for the U.S. Under-19 basketball team in the current World Cup in Greece.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/06/charley-walters-future-looks-bright-for-minnesotas-3m-open/

Go Gophers!!

Maybe he isn’t so different than any of the other players that just played lip service to liking the Gophers. From this link, sounds like he may be playing the football crowd. From all accounts, he sounds like a very good guy. Not to sound too harsh, but if he has made a decision than own it and be proud of it and stop deceiving people.

Of course, shooter could just be blowing all of this out of his arse... hopefully he does go to the U, but it isn’t sounding good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe he isn’t so different than any of the other players that just played lip service to liking the Gophers. From this link, sounds like he may be playing the football crowd. From all accounts, he sounds like a very good guy. Not to sound too harsh, but if he has made a decision than own it and be proud of it and stop deceiving people.

Of course, shooter could just be blowing all of this out of his arse... hopefully he does go to the U, but it isn’t sounding good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If that would really eliminate him from playing in the UA game, why would he do that? Will be his last chance to play football and if you have the opportunity to play in an All-American game you'd be crazy not to do it.

I've read from interviews with Suggs that he plans on committing THIS August, not sure where shooter is getting this information that he plans on delaying his announcement until January. Would committing to play basketball eliminate him from this game or the actual signing of the intent letter? If only signing letter of intent disqualifies him, he may verbally commit this summer and wait until spring to sign LOI.

As likeable as he is, I think it may be time to get rid of Pitino. Lots of recruiting misses and constant striking out on nationally ranked MN recruits. At some point something's gotta change. Going 1-15 on ranked recruits in your own backyard isn't going to cut it. Let's face it, he's stunk on the recruiting trail for the most part.

As likeable as he is, I think it may be time to get rid of Pitino. Lots of recruiting misses and constant striking out on nationally ranked MN recruits. At some point something's gotta change. Going 1-15 on ranked recruits in your own backyard isn't going to cut it. Let's face it, he's stunk on the recruiting trail for the most part.

This post is both inaccurate and oddly timed. Our 2019 class is rated well and there is a ton of time left for us to get good 2020 recruits, including instate guys like Garcia, Madsen, and Crowl.

Last edited:

Are you retarded?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1-15?

I've got 5-20 since he got here...maybe a I missed a few. I'd like to see that average closer to .333 but that's all the better you can expect. Kids are not always going to stay home. We lost 4 guys to Duke and one to Stanford.

Wins- Gabe, Oturu, Coffey, Hurt, Omersa, Jarvis Johnson (5)

Losses - Tyus and Tre Jones, Travis, Vaughn, Macura, Sims, Hurt, Nnaji, Terry, Dainja, Reuvers, John, Davison, Wright, Illikanen (15)

Pending- Madsen, Garcia, Crowl, Suggs, Carlson, Walton

Dang too bad, although Suggs has been a Gonzaga lean for awhile it sounds. I really don't think this was a Gophers blew it deal, but more of a Mark Few winning it deal. Gophers did an outstanding job with him and Suggs has great relationships with Pitino, Jeter, and also PJ Fleck. Good luck to him.

1-15?

I've got 5-20 since he got here...maybe a I missed a few. I'd like to see that average closer to .333 but that's all the better you can expect. Kids are not always going to stay home. We lost 4 guys to Duke and one to Stanford.

Wins- Gabe, Oturu, Coffey, Hurt, Omersa, Jarvis Johnson (5)

Losses - Tyus and Tre Jones, Travis, Vaughn, Macura, Sims, Hurt, Nnaji, Terry, Dainja, Reuvers, John, Davison, Wright, Illikanen (15)

Pending- Madsen, Garcia, Crowl, Suggs, Carlson, Walton

Solid data, but yeah my goal is to not even bother with those comments anymore. They are shortsighted and carry no meaning anyhow

Losses: Dainja, Hurt, Nnaji, Wahl, Roddy, Jones x2, Sims, Reuvers, Davidson, Thompson, John, Mar, Wright, Reed Niko, Illkanen, Anim, Travis, Marcura.
Wins: Same.

He's been just an OK recruiter. We lose out way more than we win with the local kids. The perception around town is not great, I know guys here don't want to hear that but it's reality. Richard has had decent classes in the last few years so he get's a pass a little from me. We will see how this year shakes out. Ihnen is the key kid this year, he could be elite.

Losses: Dainja, Hurt, Nnaji, Wahl, Roddy, Jones x2, Sims, Reuvers, Davidson, Thompson, John, Mar, Wright, Reed Niko, Illkanen, Anim, Travis, Marcura.

He's been just an OK recruiter. We lose out way more than we win with the local kids. The perception around town is not great, I know guys here don't want to hear that but it's reality. Richard has had decent classes in the last few years so he get's a pass a little from me. We will see how this year shakes out. Ihnen is the key kid this year, he could be elite.

You can't count kids that they didn't want to go after as losses. Those are choices. I was reluctant to put Illikanen on the list because they gave him a shot and then when he delayed they took Murphy. That's a win. They weren't after Anim and it was a good call. They weren't after Wahl and not much on Roddy either. Not sure how bad they wanted Mar.

They offered all those kids I mentions. I 100% guarantee would have taken Wahl or Roddy.

They offered all those kids I mentions. I 100% guarantee would have taken Wahl or Roddy.

But they offered late after missing on guys. They were fall backs and the kids knew so too. Some want to be priority, some are ok waiting for the dream offer. Wright is a good example of having first chance to commit but chose not to do so. Don't disagree with your perception around town, but I think it will get better with Jeter and Lindsted and if we make the tournament again.

Does everyone who plays high school basketball in Minnesota who we don't get count as a loss? If we landed both Garcia and Dainja, you'd still complain about losing a mid-major big in that class who we didn't even offer.

It sounds like Fleck and Suggs are close and Fleck wanted to sell the U to Jalen as his opportunity to play both football and basketball. Pitino was cool to the idea and it never took off.

It sounds like Fleck and Suggs are close and Fleck wanted to sell the U to Jalen as his opportunity to play both football and basketball. Pitino was cool to the idea and it never took off.

I'm dubious. Pitino would be getting a free player, and moreover, there's at least a minimal chance that Suggs would stay multiple years if he fell in love with playing college football. If anyone wouldn't like the arrangement, it would be Fleck, as the most likely outcome would be him giving away a scholarship for one year to a player who would rarely if ever see the field. Pitino would love to get Suggs and not have to give him a scholarship.

Lol like Pitino would turn down any legal way to get Suggs in a MN uniform, especially one that doesn't require him to use his own scholarship. Knock it off, Suggs is going basketball so he can be a one and done and start making money earlier. It was always the plan.

You guys are so bizarre! The U had a fricken coach in Greece following Suggs and team USA! They are trying very hard to land him. And if he has already decided to go to the sZugs, then why have the U waste all the time and money to follow you around the world?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are so bizarre! The U had a fricken coach in Greece following Suggs and team USA! They are trying very hard to land him. And if he has already decided to go to the sZugs, then why have the U waste all the time and money to follow you around the world?

Fair point, but it's no doubt he's a hard lean to the Zags right now, that doesn't mean things can't change. Anyone arguing and saying the Pitino and staff didn't work hard and use resources on Suggs is just blind and ignorant.

You can't count kids that they didn't want to go after as losses. Those are choices. I was reluctant to put Illikanen on the list because they gave him a shot and then when he delayed they took Murphy. That's a win. They weren't after Anim and it was a good call. They weren't after Wahl and not much on Roddy either. Not sure how bad they wanted Mar.

I agree with the sentiment, but I thought Jonathan nwankwo took illikanen’s scholarship after illikanen seemingly passed. Nwankwo was released from his letter in due to academics and that’s the spot that opened for Murphy. At least that was my recollection.

I also think Anim ended up being a very solid upperclassman for Marquette. Tough to say if that was just good coaching and development on their part though.

I'm dubious. Pitino would be getting a free player, and moreover, there's at least a minimal chance that Suggs would stay multiple years if he fell in love with playing college football. If anyone wouldn't like the arrangement, it would be Fleck, as the most likely outcome would be him giving away a scholarship for one year to a player who would rarely if ever see the field. Pitino would love to get Suggs and not have to give him a scholarship.

This is what the insiders are saying on the pay boards. Fleck's approach was that the best way to get Jalen at the U was a joint effort with him and Pitino pitching the U as his option to be the hometown hero and play both sports. I'd argue that this scenario would be pretty good for Fleck, as he would get Jalen for an entire football season, but Pitino wouldn't get him until late December/early January (assuming the football team is consistently making bowl games). Pitino would only have him for about 2.5 months and decided he wanted to recruit Jalen exclusively as a basketball player. Would Jalen have come to the U if both sports were an option? Who knows, but I can understand the thinking that this would have been our best chance.

Top Bottom