***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

I was actually sitting near him in the second half. Found it a little strange he wasn't surrounded by coaching staff / players... seems like a typical high schooler and just wanted to hang out with his boys and I'm sure he was hanging with players in first half, just found it kind of odd you have the #1 2020 prospect in the building and he isn't being completely bull rushed. Guess we're playing it cool :cool:

I get that sentiment too, but he is 16 years old and is about to be a sophomore in high school. The age difference is worth noting, as the difference between college and so. year in high school is light-years. Not saying that the guys didn't hang around him and talk to him, but I'm guessing they don't have all that much in common (at this stage) outside of basketball.

Typical Gopher inferiority complex. This seems to happen every time a kid makes a visit to a big name school. Granted I don't love our odds, but if he did end up coming to MN, do you think he would not take any other school visits?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Suggs is coming to the U, he's not like the ones that left the state. He cominnggggggggggg.

Suggs is coming to the U, he's not like the ones that left the state. He cominnggggggggggg.

That would be amazing. He will have his choice to go anywhere. Tough for me to believe it will be the U, but I will hold out hope until a decision is made.

This is great to hear! I'm trusting your take, mostly due to your long history on this site and other great calls. :cool:

This is great to hear! I'm trusting your take, mostly due to your long history on this site and other great calls. :cool:

I haven't been wrong yet! Said Anthony Nelson and Keyontae Johnson weren't coming here due to our lack of early interest. Said Nebraska was interested in David Alston and he finally decided to go there.

I haven't been wrong yet! Said Anthony Nelson and Keyontae Johnson weren't coming here due to our lack of early interest. Said Nebraska was interested in David Alston and he finally decided to go there.

You know that your posting history is visible, right? What you actually said re: Nelson was, "Signs point to him choosing us very soon."

You know that your posting history is visible, right? What you actually said re: Nelson was, "Signs point to him choosing us very soon."
Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

We also did indeed have early interest in Keyontae Johnson. We were just his third offer, which came last December.

We also did indeed have early interest in Keyontae Johnson. We were just his third offer, which came last December.

Originally I said Nelson was not coming here, then later since everybody was CB to the U, I said signs point to him going here. But turns out my original prediction was correct.

Originally I said Nelson was not coming here, then later since everybody was CB to the U, I said signs point to him going here. But turns out my original prediction was correct.

What was your initial prediction based on?

What was your initial prediction based on?

Pretty simple, we weren't recruiting either one of them that hard. Our priority was Hunter, so all the effort was towards him. Only when Hunter chose Purdue, that we went after Nelson/Johnson hard, but by then that was too late. Just logical that a recruit isn't going to choose you if you really never showed them love before.

Pretty simple, we weren't recruiting either one of them that hard. Our priority was Hunter, so all the effort was towards him. Only when Hunter chose Purdue, that we went after Nelson/Johnson hard, but by then that was too late. Just logical that a recruit isn't going to choose you if you really never showed them love before.

I'm sure we showed them a very similar amount of love...besides its not like the coaches are telling them "hey guys Hunter is our top target but if he goes elsewhere you're our guy...let's wait and see what he decides." They flew both guys to the cities, probably were in convo's with them daily or weekly, traveled to visit them etc. Just because Hunter was ranked higher and we heard more about him earlier doesn't mean we didn't try hard enough on these guys.

I'm sure we showed them a very similar amount of love...besides its not like the coaches are telling them "hey guys Hunter is our top target but if he goes elsewhere you're our guy...let's wait and see what he decides." They flew both guys to the cities, probably were in convo's with them daily or weekly, traveled to visit them etc. Just because Hunter was ranked higher and we heard more about him earlier doesn't mean we didn't try hard enough on these guys.

We'll agree to disagree. Of course the staff isn't going to tell the others that they are going after one guy harder than the next, that's a given. From what I've read (pay guys) and the timeline of events, it was pretty obvious. Went after Hunter first, ONLY when Hunter moved on, then they brought in Nelson/Johnson as the backup.

We'll agree to disagree. Of course the staff isn't going to tell the others that they are going after one guy harder than the next, that's a given. From what I've read (pay guys) and the timeline of events, it was pretty obvious. Went after Hunter first, ONLY when Hunter moved on, then they brought in Nelson/Johnson as the backup.

Right but that's how recruiting goes...I'll rephrase a little...every organization has their top targets so you're right about that, but they put in time and effort with all of these guys because they need to fill all the spots. I'll simply put it that I disagree that we lost out on these guys because we didn't recruit them hard enough.

There is no way Suggs is coming here. He's already gone. We've never landed a recruit of his caliber.

But, then again, I like our chances. Pitino was on him early, the team is looking really good, and he may want to stay close to family. I think he ends up coming here.

Can't wait until 2019 so I can cherry pick whichever sentence ends up being the right one. You will all be bowing down to my awesome intuition.

There is no way Suggs is coming here. He's already gone. We've never landed a recruit of his caliber.

But, then again, I like our chances. Pitino was on him early, the team is looking really good, and he may want to stay close to family. I think he ends up coming here.

Can't wait until 2019 so I can cherry pick whichever sentence ends up being the right one. You will all be bowing down to my awesome intuition.

You screwed up by making it one post, should've done two

Minnesota sure has had some nice talent coming through the highschool ranks recently. If this kind of talent continues to come, and Pitino keeps the Gophers going in the right direction, he will get these kids to commit here, and it will take the program to great levels.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

A national TV audience will watch two of the country’s elite prep basketball guards Thursday when Apple Valley, led by Tre Jones, plays Minnehaha Academy and Jalen Suggs. The game will be at Apple Valley, starts at 7 p.m. and airs on on ESPN U.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

:clap::clap::rolleyes:

per Shama:

A national TV audience will watch two of the country’s elite prep basketball guards Thursday when Apple Valley, led by Tre Jones, plays Minnehaha Academy and Jalen Suggs. The game will be at Apple Valley, starts at 7 p.m. and airs on on ESPN U.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the reminder about this game. Just set the DVR.

Top Bottom