***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

Spokane may not be ranked in the Top 25 places to live, but Gonzaga is consistently ranked in the Top 25 for basketball. Like other posters have stated, kids looking to go play basketball are probably looking for different things such as the quality of the basketball program, whose the head coach, amount of anticipated playing time, etc.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into the actual town the college is located in.

Exactly, I was responding to a series of posts (over time) from built that mentioned how great of an area Spokane was to be in. We had a whole thread about the Zags. I still think they are overrated and don’t have to endure that same grind as a P5 school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly, I was responding to a series of posts (over time) from built that mentioned how great of an area Spokane was to be in. We had a whole thread about the Zags. I still think they are overrated and don’t have to endure that same grind as a P5 school.

Agreed that it not the same grind. Personally i would pick most of the Big 10 , including Minnesota over Gonzaga and it is not even close. But it is not up to me and the vast majority of talented kids are picking Gonzaga over us. They have built a very significant national basketball brand. They hit on a very high rate of kids they put a priority on. They are easily a top 15 program.

Agreed that it not the same grind. Personally i would pick most of the Big 10 , including Minnesota over Gonzaga and it is not even close. But it is not up to me and the vast majority of talented kids are picking Gonzaga over us. They have built a very significant national basketball brand. They hit on a very high rate of kids they put a priority on. They are easily a top 15 program.

I think I'd still choose about every other blue blood over them...They usually play some good non conference games that get good exposure but once their conference season starts you rarely see them on TV. Their conference has gotten better the last 5 years or so, so maybe that changes, but if I was going to bail on the Gophers for a nationally known team I'd pick about every other one first.

Expect to keep losing these kids to just about any school that is similar or higher and shows interest. You need to get to the sweet sixteen 2-3 times in 5 years and then it will change, until then, the only option is to build with guys that aren't as talented in a system made to highlight defense, team play, and toughness. That is the only way out of the hole.

We have a winner.

Spokane is a special place. Gonzaga has such a unique fit in the community and it is the only game in town. The sell a great culture and order. Few a top 20 coach. Private, small , jesuit.

The weather in Spokane is awful. Had to spend the better part of a winter on a job -- gray skies everyday and drizzle -- it wouldn't rain, just drizzle, all the time, every day, all day. Couldn't stand it. Maybe it's a good place to go to school because the weather's so crappy you'd just want to stay in the library and study all day, but it's a lousy place to live. I've lived in Minnesota, Indiana, Florida, New Mexico and for that winter in Spokane. Indiana and Spokane were by far the worst places to be during the winter months.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like Gonzaga is where the young man wants to go to school. Why not? Definitely a small town/campus vibe and they are obviously highly relevant at the national level.

He has to weigh that against playing for the U in the B1G in front of bigger crowds with more TV exposure. I'd like to have him but our program is no slouch and there are a lot of good players out there.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said that Jalen will wait until after the New Year to commit. He said Gonzaga sounds like the leader, but Jalen is keeping an eye on the guys who are playing overseas for a year and that Jalen may take at least one official football visit before he decides.

Go Gophers!!

The weather in Spokane is awful. Had to spend the better part of a winter on a job -- gray skies everyday and drizzle -- it wouldn't rain, just drizzle, all the time, every day, all day. Couldn't stand it. Maybe it's a good place to go to school because the weather's so crappy you'd just want to stay in the library and study all day, but it's a lousy place to live. I've lived in Minnesota, Indiana, Florida, New Mexico and for that winter in Spokane. Indiana and Spokane were by far the worst places to be during the winter months.
Spokane is on the east side of the mountains and is arid. The U.S. average rainfall is 38 inches of rain, Spokane averages 17. I think you lived there during a bad stretch as what you got was something more like Seattle weather. Half of the days are sunny. When I visited (in July however) it was a beautiful town with much to offer. I'd prefer to live in Minneapolis over Spokane but I could see some folks choosing Spokane. It certainly isn't awful like Iowa City or Ames which have nothing to offer in terms of weather or culture.

Spokane is on the east side of the mountains and is arid. The U.S. average rainfall is 38 inches of rain, Spokane averages 17. I think you lived there during a bad stretch as what you got was something more like Seattle weather. Half of the days are sunny. When I visited (in July however) it was a beautiful town with much to offer. I'd prefer to live in Minneapolis over Spokane but I could see some folks choosing Spokane. It certainly isn't awful like Iowa City or Ames which have nothing to offer in terms of weather or culture.

Spokane- cultural center of the northwest![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on what "culture" a person is looking for. One person's paradise is another person's dump, and vice-versa.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said that Jalen will wait until after the New Year to commit. He said Gonzaga sounds like the leader, but Jalen is keeping an eye on the guys who are playing overseas for a year and that Jalen may take at least one official football visit before he decides.

Go Gophers!!

You're on, P.J.!!!

Spokane is cloudy as hell in the winter and its climate overall, is probably worse than the TCs. That said, this would seem to be a minor consideration for a young man choosing a college basketball program.

It's crazy to me that Suggs is one of the highest rated recruits in MN history (11th nationally per Rivals) and hardly is talking about his recruitment, at all. Most presume he'll go to Gonzaga, but are the Gophers even really recruiting him?

Even with Jones Brothers and Matthew Hurt (when most realized we weren't getting them) fans were still following the recruitment, but Suggs' recruitment is oddly quiet.

Go Gophers!!

Funny you mention it Bleed because Evan Daniels just had an article out about Suggs. The longer this drags out, the more likely it seems that he goes overseas and turns pro. I’m not sure anyone else is even pursuing him outside of Gonzaga as most view it as a done deal so the fact that he hasn’t committed there yet is kinda strange. My guess is he turns pro. Hard not to look at the growth RJ Hampton and Lamelo Ball are making with the draft hype they are getting as a result and think he couldn’t do the same. If he’s one and done anyway what’s the point really? Does playing at Loyola Marymount sound that appealing?

What about being on a National Championship contender? Does having to travel back and forth to Australia/NZ/home sound great?

NZ or Oz would be an incredible place to live/work/play, especially for a lot of money. And it's not like he'll be commuting to the Twin Cities every weekend, but when he does he'll be flying first class. I'd take that over living in Spokane and playing school for 9 months.

NZ or Oz would be an incredible place to live/work/play, especially for a lot of money. And it's not like he'll be commuting to the Twin Cities every weekend, but when he does he'll be flying first class. I'd take that over living in Spokane and playing school for 9 months.

I get it. Honestly, it really comes down to the individual. Some will prefer getting paid to play a sport (with no classes). Hard to argue with that. I'd probably prefer waiting a year to get paid, having the college experience, and enjoying the attention of playing for a National Title contender.

Interestingly, there was an article on The Athletic today about RJ Hampton. I'm sure Jalen is following his situation closely (I believe they are friends too). The way I read it made it sound like not a great experience in the moment. He's living in a foreign country with his parents vs living the college life. Think the social aspect of it all would be really tough (his teammates are all much older than him). But maybe that doesn't matter so much these days with technology...

Gonzaga is the only place that Suggs hasn't been to on an official visit going there during this junior and senior seasons. If he goes to college it's basically a done deal to Gonzaga and the Evan Daniels article said he'd be making his college decision on January 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NZ or Oz would be an incredible place to live/work/play, especially for a lot of money.

its a thin league with 9 teams (going to 10) and about 30 games a year. Cap for star players is about $1.1M AUD (about $670K USD) but they have a future stars program and I think Suggs would fall into that program. That cap is about $100K AUD (about $67K USD) but does include living expenses.

its a thin league with 9 teams (going to 10) and about 30 games a year. Cap for star players is about $1.1M AUD (about $670K USD) but they have a future stars program and I think Suggs would fall into that program. That cap is about $100K AUD (about $67K USD) but does include living expenses.

Reading the article it sounds like it’s Gonzaga and he’ll announce during the Sierra Canyon game.... unless he gets a pro offer he can’t refuse. I don’t think $67,000 to play overseas is enough to entice him into losing is college eligibility for one year.

I would think just taking the year off and training daily with coaches would be preferable to 30 games and $67,000.

I get it. Honestly, it really comes down to the individual. Some will prefer getting paid to play a sport (with no classes). ......

What, is he now looking at UNC?

I would think just taking the year off and training daily with coaches would be preferable to 30 games and $67,000.

He could make more than that in endorsements under the new NIL compensation program, with a lot less work. Too bad it's too early.

per Shooter:

As reported months ago, it’s still a good bet that Minnehaha Academy senior Jalen Suggs will accept a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga. And that junior teammate Chet Holmgren will accept a tender to Gonzaga the following year.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

As reported months ago, it’s still a good bet that Minnehaha Academy senior Jalen Suggs will accept a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga. And that junior teammate Chet Holmgren will accept a tender to Gonzaga the following year.

Go Gophers!!
Pardon me for not sporting wood on that news.

Top Bottom