Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    Spokane may not be ranked in the Top 25 places to live, but Gonzaga is consistently ranked in the Top 25 for basketball. Like other posters have stated, kids looking to go play basketball are probably looking for different things such as the quality of the basketball program, whose the head coach, amount of anticipated playing time, etc.

I wouldnít put too much stock into the actual town the college is located in.
    Exactly, I was responding to a series of posts (over time) from built that mentioned how great of an area Spokane was to be in. We had a whole thread about the Zags. I still think they are overrated and donít have to endure that same grind as a P5 school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Exactly, I was responding to a series of posts (over time) from built that mentioned how great of an area Spokane was to be in. We had a whole thread about the Zags. I still think they are overrated and don’t have to endure that same grind as a P5 school.

Agreed that it not the same grind. Personally i would pick most of the Big 10 , including Minnesota over Gonzaga and it is not even close. But it is not up to me and the vast majority of talented kids are picking Gonzaga over us. They have built a very significant national basketball brand. They hit on a very high rate of kids they put a priority on. They are easily a top 15 program.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Agreed that it not the same grind. Personally i would pick most of the Big 10 , including Minnesota over Gonzaga and it is not even close. But it is not up to me and the vast majority of talented kids are picking Gonzaga over us. They have built a very significant national basketball brand. They hit on a very high rate of kids they put a priority on. They are easily a top 15 program.
    I think I'd still choose about every other blue blood over them...They usually play some good non conference games that get good exposure but once their conference season starts you rarely see them on TV. Their conference has gotten better the last 5 years or so, so maybe that changes, but if I was going to bail on the Gophers for a nationally known team I'd pick about every other one first.

Expect to keep losing these kids to just about any school that is similar or higher and shows interest. You need to get to the sweet sixteen 2-3 times in 5 years and then it will change, until then, the only option is to build with guys that aren't as talented in a system made to highlight defense, team play, and toughness. That is the only way out of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Exactly, I was responding to a series of posts (over time) from built that mentioned how great of an area Spokane was to be in. We had a whole thread about the Zags. I still think they are overrated and don’t have to endure that same grind as a P5 school.

We have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Spokane is a special place. Gonzaga has such a unique fit in the community and it is the only game in town. The sell a great culture and order. Few a top 20 coach. Private, small , jesuit.
    The weather in Spokane is awful. Had to spend the better part of a winter on a job -- gray skies everyday and drizzle -- it wouldn't rain, just drizzle, all the time, every day, all day. Couldn't stand it. Maybe it's a good place to go to school because the weather's so crappy you'd just want to stay in the library and study all day, but it's a lousy place to live. I've lived in Minnesota, Indiana, Florida, New Mexico and for that winter in Spokane. Indiana and Spokane were by far the worst places to be during the winter months.

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post

Go Gophers!!
    Sounds like Gonzaga is where the young man wants to go to school. Why not? Definitely a small town/campus vibe and they are obviously highly relevant at the national level.

He has to weigh that against playing for the U in the B1G in front of bigger crowds with more TV exposure. I'd like to have him but our program is no slouch and there are a lot of good players out there.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said that Jalen will wait until after the New Year to commit. He said Gonzaga sounds like the leader, but Jalen is keeping an eye on the guys who are playing overseas for a year and that Jalen may take at least one official football visit before he decides.

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Livingat45north View Post
    The weather in Spokane is awful. Had to spend the better part of a winter on a job -- gray skies everyday and drizzle -- it wouldn't rain, just drizzle, all the time, every day, all day. Couldn't stand it. Maybe it's a good place to go to school because the weather's so crappy you'd just want to stay in the library and study all day, but it's a lousy place to live. I've lived in Minnesota, Indiana, Florida, New Mexico and for that winter in Spokane. Indiana and Spokane were by far the worst places to be during the winter months.
    Spokane is on the east side of the mountains and is arid. The U.S. average rainfall is 38 inches of rain, Spokane averages 17. I think you lived there during a bad stretch as what you got was something more like Seattle weather. Half of the days are sunny. When I visited (in July however) it was a beautiful town with much to offer. I'd prefer to live in Minneapolis over Spokane but I could see some folks choosing Spokane. It certainly isn't awful like Iowa City or Ames which have nothing to offer in terms of weather or culture.

Quote Originally Posted by CoMn View Post
    Spokane is on the east side of the mountains and is arid. The U.S. average rainfall is 38 inches of rain, Spokane averages 17. I think you lived there during a bad stretch as what you got was something more like Seattle weather. Half of the days are sunny. When I visited (in July however) it was a beautiful town with much to offer. I'd prefer to live in Minneapolis over Spokane but I could see some folks choosing Spokane. It certainly isn't awful like Iowa City or Ames which have nothing to offer in terms of weather or culture.
    Spokane- cultural center of the northwest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on what "culture" a person is looking for. One person's paradise is another person's dump, and vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said that Jalen will wait until after the New Year to commit. He said Gonzaga sounds like the leader, but Jalen is keeping an eye on the guys who are playing overseas for a year and that Jalen may take at least one official football visit before he decides.

Go Gophers!!
    You're on, P.J.!!!

Spokane is cloudy as hell in the winter and its climate overall, is probably worse than the TCs. That said, this would seem to be a minor consideration for a young man choosing a college basketball program.

It's crazy to me that Suggs is one of the highest rated recruits in MN history (11th nationally per Rivals) and hardly is talking about his recruitment, at all. Most presume he'll go to Gonzaga, but are the Gophers even really recruiting him?

Even with Jones Brothers and Matthew Hurt (when most realized we weren't getting them) fans were still following the recruitment, but Suggs' recruitment is oddly quiet.

Go Gophers!!