Joel Bauman

GopherGod

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has seen him play extensively and their thoughts on him. He seems to be starting to gain some interest from several D1 programs around the country. I know that he was a guest at the Nebraska Spring game this past weekend.

I watched him play in the section championship game vs. Minneota. He didn't seem that flashy except for a couple plays but still got over two hundred yards. But if you carry the ball over 30 times a game you will have to break a couple open. I thought he ran pretty tall and was a big target, and it didn't seem like he broke that many tackles. I think he has more of a body for a wide receiver with his height and doesn't weigh a whole lot. I don't think he would really amount to much at division one but you never know i guess. I go to school at RTR and I think Kyle Minett was a lot better but maybe it's just based on my home school. Who knows?? Maybe I'm wrong about him? He still has another year left, so maybe he will improve a lot.

I'm originally from the SW MN area and have some relatives that watch him play. Their thoughts on him are that he is very good for the level he plays at, which is class A ball the lowest level. As far as his physical make-up. They said he has "short squatty legs" and that he isn't as fast as people make him out to be. They said he stands out because he is physically superior to almost all of the players at his level, but at a 4A or 5A he would just be a GOOD player on his team and not stand out like he does at class A. Probably better suited for the NDSU/SDSU level of ball.

...I personally have never seen him play though, just passin on some thoughts of guys that have watched him.

He's supposedly getting looks for LB from a number of D1 schools

That's wierd considering when i watched they only had him in on defense for about half the time and if i remember right it was at mostly cornerback. But who knows. But like Hooligan said he's great for class A but wouldn't be great in 4A or 5A.

That's wierd considering when i watched they only had him in on defense for about half the time and if i remember right it was at mostly cornerback. But who knows. But like Hooligan said he's great for class A but wouldn't be great in 4A or 5A.

i am not defending Bauman but more class A. Yes the big schools have better athletes in general, but every once in awhile there is a great athlete that comes through the smaller schools. It just comes down to numbers, when you have 900 kids coming through the school every year your going to have more studs but every once in awhile a gem will pop up in a small one. Yes these players play lesser talent, but some blossum when they compete with better players. For now i will give bauman the benifit of the doubt

Being from that area I haven't really seen him play that much. But he's not all that big and he's not very flashy. When he has played defense it's been safety or sometimes CB. Most of his production is from playing at a low level. Not really sure how he'll adjust to D1. His production is due to the offense that is run and when you touch the ball that many times you're going to put up big numbers. With his size I could maybe see him as a safety but has a frame to put on some more weight. He's one of those guys where it makes me wonder what he could do in a higher class of football. I think he'd still put up some pretty good numbers but not those that he's putting up at KMS. I'm not really sold on how well he'd do with the jump from class A to D1. When I'm back home I'll have to ask around get some more info. As of right now he'd be a guy where if you take a flier on him he could help the team most likely on the defensive side, a low risk high reward type player.

Bauman

Saw him play once when a friend dragged me to a game. Guess he is a good wrestler and from I saw he should focus his time there. He would make a good special teams at EP or CDH. Just does not have the size or speed to play D1. Probably a hard working kid, but it is a huge jump to the top HS teams in MN, then another big jump to HS football at a place like FL, TX or CA, then a HUGE jump to D1. I just saw little to make me believe he is D1 talent. I hope I am dead wrong and he turns out to be an All American at Minnesota. I hate to critique a HS kid who just works hard to be the best athlete he can be, but when you get promoted like this young man, it kind of goes with the territory. Wish him all the very best in the future.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There must be something that D1 coaches see that intrigues them and warrants attention and probably invites to evaluation camps. I would guess it will be coaches that decide and not an internet message board.
________
Vaporizer Wholesale

I'm originally from the SW MN area and have some relatives that watch him play. Their thoughts on him are that he is very good for the level he plays at, which is class A ball the lowest level. As far as his physical make-up. They said he has "short squatty legs" and that he isn't as fast as people make him out to be. They said he stands out because he is physically superior to almost all of the players at his level, but at a 4A or 5A he would just be a GOOD player on his team and not stand out like he does at class A. Probably better suited for the NDSU/SDSU level of ball.

...I personally have never seen him play though, just passin on some thoughts of guys that have watched him.

irony... "short squatty legs." Since Joel is known for his long legs that description caught my eye. He was even given the nickname "long legs" at a MN camp if i recall correctly. Some say he will project out as a OLB. Could be interesting to see the transition.

Top Bottom