GIF video of Cliff Alexander picking up Illinois hat and then putting on KU hat

By fan base meaning local fan base

Let's just agree to disagree on whether Reid was at all disrespectful to the University of Minnesota, accept that my post was a joke, and move on, shall we?

The joke is only amusing if the situations are comparable. Which they aren't except in your mind.

I think a majority of those kids are from Chicago. Champaign is nothing like Chicago. It's a couple hours away and has a very rural feel for a big time campus. I personally think Illinois' campus is one of the worst in the B1G. Their basketball arena is kind of ****ty too. So I'm not surprised they have trouble keeping all the big time Chicago talent.

I agree with you. I have been there a couple times and it is nothing special at all, and you are right, it does not have an urban feel at all.

I'm sorry, but if he really did do that on purpose, then in my opinion, that is just beyond pathetic. There's picking a school, and then there's being a cruel d*ckhead about it, and that hat action (if intended), would certainly fall into the latter category, of simply acting just an utter ass and apparently simply just because you can.

I like to think I've a pretty wide and generous sense of humor, but I find nothing at all 'humorous' in such a display as that, but see rather a petty, spiteful and mean-spirited act of a true punk, and would hope he might someday get beyond such a weak display of character and decency as that.

Him and his family are either lying or they're not very smart (or maybe both?). You don't say how much you like and respect Groce and Illinois, then do that. People just don't think things through anymore.

Him and his family are either lying or they're not very smart (or maybe both?). You don't say how much you like and respect Groce and Illinois, then do that. People just don't think things through anymore.

Yeah they do. The kids have been given too much power and the process goes on so long. I could not imagine being a coach today. Hopping on planes all over the world hat in hand begging a16 or 17 year old to play for me. I guess that is why they get the big bucks.

Yeah they do. The kids have been given too much power and the process goes on so long. I could not imagine being a coach today. Hopping on planes all over the world hat in hand begging a16 or 17 year old to play for me. I guess that is why they get the big bucks.

I'm sorry but I don't feel bad for a guy that's making millions of dollars off of these kids.

I'm sorry but I don't feel bad for a guy that's making millions of dollars off of these kids.

And here I always thought they were paid millions for being a coach.

You're right. I'm sure no one begged Magic Johnson or Patrick Ewing back in the '80s. Those were surely the good old days, where no one had an ego and the power was totally in the coach's hands.

You're right. I'm sure no one begged Magic Johnson or Patrick Ewing back in the '80s. Those were surely the good old days, where no one had an ego and the power was totally in the coach's hands.

If you believe that, I have a plot of land in Afghanistan that you may be interested in investing in.

So if what Cliff did was rude, how about Quentin Snider committing to Illinois and then signing with Louisville instead? Wouldn't that make Snider an even worse person?

So if what Cliff did was rude, how about Quentin Snider committing to Illinois and then signing with Louisville instead? Wouldn't that make Snider an even worse person?

WHO CARES!!!

I can guarantee that nobody begged Magic Johnson in the 80's.

Absolutely

My problem with what Alexander did was completely unnecessary. It totally contradicts what he and his family said: that they really like and respect Groce and Illinois.

Nope. If schools can keep recruiting when a guy commits then a player has every right to continue being recruited.

Now Cliff Alexander is a dick any way you slice it.

That was pathetic. Way to be gracious for your offer by kicking the university in the nuts on your way out.

You only do this if you pick the hometown school and spurn the blue blood. Pretty classless IMO

i felt the same when Josh Perkins said the university of Gonzaga, its GU, not U of G, and that video was hilarious, but the local illinois fans constantly get screwed over with Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis, Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor and now Cliff Alexander all seeing greener grass elsewhere, they would be a top 5 program if they got there talent to stay home

You would think Depaul would have more pressure than Illinois to sign the Chicago kids

Honestly, I see the Quentin Snider signing switch to be more hurtful to Illinois. Out of the blue seemingly he signs with Louisville when Illinois was expecting him to sign with them instead. And surely Illinois had spent weeks if not months planning on Snider being their PG in this class and recruiting like it. Now, the rug is pulled out from under Illinois by Snider. Alexander never committed to Illinois and they knew all along they were in a battle and had no assurances of getting him, and surely they were more prepared to move on from him going elsewhere than Snider.

Honestly, I see the Quentin Snider signing switch to be more hurtful to Illinois. Out of the blue seemingly he signs with Louisville when Illinois was expecting him to sign with them instead. And surely Illinois had spent weeks if not months planning on Snider being their PG in this class and recruiting like it. Now, the rug is pulled out from under Illinois by Snider. Alexander never committed to Illinois and they knew all along they were in a battle and had no assurances of getting him, and surely they were more prepared to move on from him going elsewhere than Snider.

I think what hurt Illinois the most and what was the biggest dick move are two different arguments.

I think what hurt Illinois the most and what was the biggest dick move are two different arguments.

Ditto.

What Alexander accomplished with the sophomoric hat escapade was to simply extend an utterly unnecessary and completely uncalled for slap in the face to a coach and program and fan-base which had treated him with nothing but kindness, so in that regard it was just a plain sh*tty and mean-spirited move indicative of a person fundamentally lacking in common decency as well as character, while Snider on the other hand simply made a life and basketball decision for himself. He changed his mind, as young men of that age are often prone to do, but he did so without feeling the need to rub it in the face of the team he ultimately spurned, and therein lies the difference.

I don't care whether that happened to a rival and opponent of my team or not, as it is not whom it happened to, but rather that display of cavalier behavior and casual cruelty which lies so deeply offensive to me and many others, and to see his father there yukking it up beside him and acting as if this were the greatest and most original hijink in all of history, it made me feel vaguely nauseated at just how fricken lame and crappy humanity can be, and how as the wheel spins, such disrespect eventually and surely will be 'rewarded' exactly as it deserves to be, or so I can only hope.

Rotten thing to do but I laughed when the kid exclaimed F---!

Sometimes you just know how that feels.

Ditto.

What Alexander accomplished with the sophomoric hat escapade was to simply extend an utterly unnecessary and completely uncalled for slap in the face to a coach and program and fan-base which had treated him with nothing but kindness, so in that regard it was just a plain sh*tty and mean-spirited move indicative of a person fundamentally lacking in common decency as well as character, while Snider on the other hand simply made a life and basketball decision for himself. He changed his mind, as young men of that age are often prone to do, but he did so without feeling the need to rub it in the face of the team he ultimately spurned, and therein lies the difference.

I don't care whether that happened to a rival and opponent of my team or not, as it is not whom it happened to, but rather that display of cavalier behavior and casual cruelty which lies so deeply offensive to me and many others, and to see his father there yukking it up beside him and acting as if this were the greatest and most original hijink in all of history, it made me feel vaguely nauseated at just how fricken lame and crappy humanity can be, and how as the wheel spins, such disrespect eventually and surely will be 'rewarded' exactly as it deserves to be, or so I can only hope.

Well put. A pox on that dude.

Top Bottom