James Winston Alleged Sexual Assault Investigation Dashes Florida State's Title hopes

Maybe Delaney will come out with some statement saying Winston should be suspended by the NCAA for character issues. That would be the trifecta for Commissioner Jim.

Remember when the Vikings Chris Cook was lynched for allegedly beating the piss out of his
girlfriend at the time? Based on her word....only for her to later admit she lied about it?

You have this wrong. Yes, technically she recanted but there were strange circummstances in play which caused that. Chris Cook beat the sh!t out of her.

Not really a big surprise. I don't profess to know anything about this particular case, but I do know it's tough to prove sexual assault -- especially against a high profile individual. I'm currently reading a very interesting book about college football called The System, in which the authors devote an entire chapter to sexual assault by players. The consensus of those interviewed (lawyers, coaches, activists, etc.) seems to be that it's all too easy for an athlete to say, "I'm a star...she was a jersey chaser who wanted it," which ultimately makes prosecuting these cases almost impossible -- even when there's physical evidence that intercourse took place. The only cases that seem to get prosecuted are those when a witness is willing to testify that the act was forcible, but in most cases the witnesses are teammates who wouldn't dare sell out one of their own. Fascinating chapter, albeit extremely sad. Great book thus far, btw. Mike Leach is featured prominently, and he sounds like a very interesting fellow...

Not really a big surprise. I don't profess to know anything about this particular case, but I do know it's tough to prove sexual assault -- especially against a high profile individual. I'm currently reading a very interesting book about college football called The System, in which the authors devote an entire chapter to sexual assault by players. The consensus of those interviewed (lawyers, coaches, activists, etc.) seems to be that it's all too easy for an athlete to say, "I'm a star...she was a jersey chaser who wanted it," which ultimately makes prosecuting these cases almost impossible -- even when there's physical evidence that intercourse took place. The only cases that seem to get prosecuted are those when a witness is willing to testify that the act was forcible, but in most cases the witnesses are teammates who wouldn't dare sell out one of their own. Fascinating chapter, albeit extremely sad. Great book thus far, btw. Mike Leach is featured prominently, and he sounds like a very interesting fellow...

It's hard to prove both ways; innocence or guilt. All it takes is an allegation to completely screw someone's life up. Im all for protecting the victim but sometimes its very hard to tell who that is, and we can't assume that everything one woman says is exactly how it happened.

I don't understand how it would matter if physical evidence was found. More often than not its not the sex these guys are disputing, rather the nature in which it took place: consensual or not consensual.

I personally know two girls who were raped at the same setting by fairly well known people in a medium sized community. The people involved were eventually found guilty. However, supporters of the accused made it very difficult for the victims. If there hadn't been two of them there never would have been a conviction. Prosecutors in the Florida case most likely know how difficult these cases can be.

It's hard to prove both ways; innocence or guilt. All it takes is an allegation to completely screw someone's life up. Im all for protecting the victim but sometimes its very hard to tell who that is, and we can't assume that everything one woman says is exactly how it happened.

I don't understand how it would matter if physical evidence was found. More often than not its not the sex these guys are disputing, rather the nature in which it took place: consensual or not consensual.

I knew of two instances of this with people I went to college with. One happened in college, and it nearly ruined the guy's life. I don't know all the details, but I later found out from mutual friends that she made the whole thing up to get back at him for something else. The scariest thing is that she went home after a party with a good friend of mine a few weeks before that, and she could have pulled something similar with him.

The second time was after college, but the woman, who was recently married, got wasted at a party and slept with a guy while the party was going on. The next day she knew that everyone there had seen her drag the guy into the bedroom (she did this a lot in school) and was terrified her husband would find out she cheated on him. So she made up a date rape claim, and literally asked some friends to lie to the police to support her. They did not, and told the truth, and the guy was cleared, but his life could have been ruined as well. Really scary stuff.

You have this wrong. Yes, technically she recanted but there were strange circummstances in play which caused that. Chris Cook beat the sh!t out of her.

Were you there? If not, the burden of proof is on you (and the victim).

Look, I'm all for not beating/raping women. But there are lines that must be made when making accusations and trying someone for it in the court of law (note: I said, LAW and not OPINION). I've lost a childhood friend due to false claims of sexual assault and lets not forget Brian Banks' story.

Duke lacrosse repeat. This was a nonstory from the beginning.

Top Bottom