Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fall Signing Day - 2014 Class

Post tweets, articles, and video in this thread.

3. Default

4. Default

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GopherHole Staff View Post

Already got the hat he needs I see lol

A squirrel, a hulk and an assassin walk into a room. Stop me if you've heard this one...

Welcome, recruits!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    A squirrel, a hulk and an assassin walk into a room. Stop me if you've heard this one...

Welcome, recruits!
    +1

Go Gophers!!

FSN: Richard Pitino’s first recruiting class includes pair of three-star preps

“All three I think fill specific needs that we wanted to address when losing guys like Mav (Ahanmisi), Austin (Hollins) and Malik (Smith),” Pitino said Wednesday. “I think all three bring different things to the table, so we’re excited about them.”

Pitino said Martin eventually wants to play the small forward position, but will begin at Minnesota as a power forward.

“I told him, I said, ‘Josh, by all means, if you want to become a four who can shoot the basketball and dribble the basketball with your athleticism and how hard you play, we both benefit from it,’” Pitino said. “We’re going to try to continue to try to develop him into that type of player. He’s got an unbelievable motor on the court, and it never stops. It starts at warm-ups and it doesn’t end until the final buzzer sounds.”

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colleg...99&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like Pitino has known about Carlos Morris for a while. He also seems to be genuinely excited about Martin and Mason.

Marcus records just about every interview he does and puts them up on this website called tout. A lot of great videos, check them out:

http://www.tout.com/m/rmn4w5?ref=twty804i

Ok, I'm going to post this question: (not trolling - just want to hear opinions)

If Tubby had signed the same class, how would fans have reacted? My gut tells me people (including some of the regulars on this board) would have been ripping Tubby for not landing any of the "Big 3" and signing another crop of mid-level recruits.

Look - I'm no recruiting guru. I really have no idea how good these players are, or how good they might become. I'm just saying that Pitino seems to be getting at least a neutral reaction to this class, but if Tubby had signed the same class, I think the perception would have been very different.

This is NOT a rip on Pitino - it's more about perception than reality.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Ok, I'm going to post this question: (not trolling - just want to hear opinions)

If Tubby had signed the same class, how would fans have reacted? My gut tells me people (including some of the regulars on this board) would have been ripping Tubby for not landing any of the "Big 3" and signing another crop of mid-level recruits.

Look - I'm no recruiting guru. I really have no idea how good these players are, or how good they might become. I'm just saying that Pitino seems to be getting at least a neutral reaction to this class, but if Tubby had signed the same class, I think the perception would have been very different.

The big difference is that this is essentially Pitino's first class and he had limited time to recruit players in this class. He's been on the job for what, 7 months only?

This is a good class not a great class. I'd feel the same way about this class under Pitino as I would with Tubby. Leaving out the Big 3 factor though, since Tubby would have had years to recruit them.

16. Default

Not a fair comparison at all. Pitino had like 6 months to recruit these guys. If he gets the same type of class next year that would be different.

17. Default

I think it's a good class, if we can land studs such as Jarvis, and Big Al next year and Amir in 2016. When Mason and Martin are Juniors and seniors, we could have some special teams. I do think this year and next year will be years where we are hovering between 8 and 10 wins in the big ten.

Quote Originally Posted by GophersOnTheRise View Post
    Not a fair comparison at all. Pitino had like 6 months to recruit these guys. If he gets the same type of class next year that would be different.
    Essentially Pitino had 6 months to recruit two classes, all before really coaching one game at MN.

I think the fact that he has no track record at MN(and FIU is a major step down) is a bigger factor than the limited time to cultivate relationships.

19. Default

I get what you are saying. Only thing I'd add is that it isn't over yet. Pitino made that as clear as can be when talking about the 3M's. I've mentioned this before, he seems like the kind of guy who looks for every avenue to get a player. Almost more like a GM/Coach. I think he wants to win and win now. He's young, unproven and he's hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by station19 View Post
    Essentially Pitino had 6 months to recruit two classes, all before really coaching one game at MN.

I think the fact that he has no track record at MN(and FIU is a major step down) is a bigger factor than the limited time to cultivate relationships.
    +1