Jedd Fisch says Adam Weber has All-American potential, will be an NFL QB

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update in Shama's Sports Headlines:

Weber Potential All-American QB

It didn’t take much time for new Gophers offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch to become an admirer of quarterback Adam Weber. Fisch was hired in January and he told Sports Headliners earlier this month what he thinks of Minnesota’s redshirt junior quarterback who has been a starter for two seasons, set school records and will be on a watch list of the nation’s better quarterbacks in the fall.

How talented is Adam? “I think Adam is really good,” Fisch said. “Really good with the potential to get great. The ability to have him for two (more) years is really exciting.”

All-American? “Yeah, I think he can,” Fisch said. “I think Adam can be anything Adam wants to be. Right now Adam’s want to is enormous. Right now Adam’s ability to soak up information is awesome, and his effort level is great. So when Adam continues to work together with me on how to become a great quarterback I think that Adam will become a great quarterback, an NFL quarterback.”

Although Weber had off-season surgery on his left shoulder, coach Tim Brewster told Sports Headliners on Friday that his quarterback has recovered faster than anticipated and will run the first team offense in Saturday’s annual spring game (1:30 p.m. kickoff, University of St. Thomas). Weber has practiced this spring but has worn a red jersey, meaning nobody hits him.

None of the quarterbacks in the spring game can be tackled, Brewster said. MarQueis Gray and John Nance, both without college game experience, are the Gophers’ second and third team quarterbacks.

Field goals and kickoffs were a concern going into spring practice because last season’s kicker, Joel Monroe, used up his eligibility. Brewster said he “couldn’t be more pleased with Eric Ellestad,” a sophomore from Armstrong High School. He likes the way Ellestad has been responding to pressure on field goals in practice and said his exceptionally strong leg can put kickoffs into the end zone.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I wish Joel Monroe had used up his eligibility before the 2008 season.

I wish Joel Monroe had used up his eligibility before the 2008 season.
I'm fully convinced that if he makes that chipshot field goal against Northwestern, the team at worst finishes 9-3 last year.

I hope that Fisch is right...

but I wouldn't count on it. In my mind an All American QB can lead the team to victory when all hope seems lost. He can lead great 4th quarter comebacks with his arm (ala Jim McMahon), feet or savvy (ala Joe Montana-I'm not sure that Montana was an All American but I believe he should have been), he can place the team on his shoulders and will them to win. I believe that an All-American QB gives makes the team and fans believe that "we are never out of a game, we will find a way to win and I will lead us there." I've been a Gopher fan since 1971 and I remember that happening once when Billy Cockerham led us back against Michigan State. And Billy was not an All American because he could not do that consistently. All the best to Adam.

but I wouldn't count on it. In my mind an All American QB can lead the team to victory when all hope seems lost. He can lead great 4th quarter comebacks with his arm (ala Jim McMahon), feet or savvy (ala Joe Montana-I'm not sure that Montana was an All American but I believe he should have been), he can place the team on his shoulders and will them to win. I believe that an All-American QB gives makes the team and fans believe that "we are never out of a game, we will find a way to win and I will lead us there." I've been a Gopher fan since 1971 and I remember that happening once when Billy Cockerham led us back against Michigan State. And Billy was not an All American because he could not do that consistently. All the best to Adam.

Yup, each of those quarterbacks had terrible offensive lines in front of them, but they overcame anyways. Get real. Adam is a good quarterback. We just have one of the crappiest offensive lines ever.

well.. to be fair, hes almost done the 4th quarter comeback thing... do you remember Wisconsin the past two years? always seems to go down to our last possession of the game but he throws a pick to end the game.

maybe he'll get it down for the next two years?

well.. to be fair, hes almost done the 4th quarter comeback thing... do you remember Wisconsin the past two years? always seems to go down to our last possession of the game but he throws a pick to end the game.

maybe he'll get it down for the next two years?

I was going to bring up this year's Wisconsin game as well. Weber almost single-handedly won that game. The last scoring drive was incredible. That said, he's got two years of eligibility left to get to that "super star" status that's being referred to in this article...

References to Jim McMahon, Billy Cockerham, and Adam Weber in one thread. I like it...

Its hard to know if Weber will be an AA type of player since we've had a D2 offense lined up around him.

Yup, each of those quarterbacks had terrible offensive lines in front of them, but they overcame anyways. Get real. Adam is a good quarterback. We just have one of the crappiest offensive lines ever.

Clearly you have a point, and I agree he's a good QB. But when his coach starts talking AA, again I'm thinking about guy who can pull a game out for us (as stated he has come close, which is a great sign, but close doesn't count). I hope the heck that he develops into that QB. As you wrote he will need a better line and it would obviously be a huge bonus to have a receiver or two who turn a 12 yard slant into a 65 yard TD. Forgetting the AA thing, I would settle for watching a game and believing that our QB is better than our opponents - Best of luck to Adam and the Gophers!

Actually his coach called him REALLY GOOD with the potential to be great or even an All-American. He still has 2 years left to improve. Get a grip people. No one said he is an All-American right now.

the guy was a SOPHMORE last year. he improved greatly from his freshman to sophmore season, and he should improve from his sophmore to junior. and if he really is the kind of sponge that fisch says he is, then he will be an AA.

Top Bottom