Please stop playing Sweet Caroline at Gopher Football.

I feel this is pretty fitting. If it were actually to be used, minus all the curse words of course. Not necessarily the greatest "pump up" song, but I digress. The Red Sox used it, worked pretty well for them. (They're also my favorite baseball team. :))

+08

I can dig this.

For those who have tired of "What Does the Fox Say?", good news. You only have to put up with it for another home game. Every season the Gopher Football game production grabs onto what most would consider a dumb, novelty type song. Two years ago it was "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO. Last year it was "Gangnam Style". This year we have the Fox. Next year it'll be something else. If the students like it, then so be it.

As for "Sweet Caroline", if the fans get up and sing and have fun, then it should long continue. The lack of atmosphere and people sitting on their hands has long been a complaint of many. Since we have a song that people get into, there's no reason to stop. So what if Badgers fans think it's their song. Sing alongs to this tune predate Camp Randall in stadiums and in bars and parties in general. For anyone to think otherwise is absurdly delusional. This isn't like the time they played "Jump Around" against Wisconsin at the Dome, a move that almost had me ready to rush the control booth in anger. I'm not a Neil Diamond fan in the slightest, but the appeal of "Sweet Caroline" is impossible to deny.

As for the idea of the song getting played as a dig at Penn State over the scandal, I'd buy that the fan who voted for it potentially had that in mind as an in joke. However, the folks in the U of M athletic department and game production staff come off as generally unaware enough that the reference was likely neither intentional or even noticed on their part. Had someone caught it, I think they might have skipped the tune in order to not possibly insult the visiting Penn State dignitaries.

The canned music is deafening and generally awful - almost as awful as the announcer ("ANOTHER GOPHER FIRST DOWN!"). I remember when the only noise came from the band - much better.

Fans didn't make sounds back then?? wow. :mad: That sounds terribad.

Sweet Caroline is Wisconsin's song?

I think of the Red Sox more than Wisconsin when it is at a sporting event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem with the Ski-U-Mah cheer; just the fact that they think they have to explain it each week. That is lame. 90% of the people at games have already been through the directions at least once. And seriously....we don't need the announcer to chant with us.

We are Minnesotans, we're supposed to be relatively intelligent. They're treating us like we're from Iowa or Wisconsin.

I agree, take the training wheels off. Great cheer.

The canned music is deafening and generally awful - almost as awful as the announcer ("ANOTHER GOPHER FIRST DOWN!"). I remember when the only noise came from the band - much better.

Yep. Agree all the way

And yes I was shocked when they played Sweet Caroline with PSU visiting. I believe that PSU has not allowed this to be played at their home games correct?

Also, would take Sweet Caroline over the Fox song any day.

I'd rather sit in complete silence than hear Sweet Caroline. It's so stale at sporting events it's downright embarrassing.

Embrace our environment...."North Country" by Rocket Club :cool02:

You are entering....NORTH COUNTRY!

Ok maybe not a end of 3rdQ song but they've played it during timeouts before. Hope they continue to do so.

I vote for the song, "Who put the overalls in Mrs. Murphy's chowder."

Dr. Leo Marvin: Are you married?
Bob Wiley: I'm divorced.
Dr. Leo Marvin: Would you like to talk about that?
Bob Wiley: There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him.
Dr. Leo Marvin: [pause] I see. So, what you're saying is that even though you are an almost-paralyzed, multiphobic personality who is in a constant state of panic, your wife did not leave you, you left her because she... liked Neil Diamond?

I feel this is pretty fitting. If it were actually to be used, minus all the curse words of course. Not necessarily the greatest "pump up" song, but I digress. The Red Sox used it, worked pretty well for them. (They're also my favorite baseball team. :))

We've also used this one a few times. Not so much that we were really at the "bottom" (nor was Drake), but rather because Drake is a big fan and recruits eat that up.

We've also used this one a few times. Not so much that we were really at the "bottom" (nor was Drake), but rather because Drake is a big fan and recruits eat that up.

There's one I forgot. Totally skipped my mind that Manziel and Drake are 'boys'. And, yes, people in my age range love this stuff.

Top Bottom