PiPress: When football returns to campus, game-day festivities will return with it

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The Rouser blaring as the band marches down University Avenue. Cheers led by the placard-carrying Rooters. Fans basking in the sunlight as they meander past socials to Memorial Stadium.

Football Saturdays at the University of Minnesota used to be tradition-filled affairs before games were moved off campus to the Metrodome in the 1980s.

With the return of the game to campus this fall, students, alumni and school leaders are working to re-create that old excitement. TCF Bank Stadium will be brand spanking new when it opens Sept. 12. But everything from how the team enters the field, to what route the band takes to the gates, to what students will yell will be steeped in the university's rich past.

"On game day, when you step onto campus, no matter what part of campus you step on, it's going to feel very different," said Maggie Towle, director of student unions and activities. "It's going to be new and exciting, but we're going to be getting back to the roots of what Memorial was all about."

Many U alumni say moving games to the Metrodome in the early '80s resulted in a disconnect between college football and students.

"There's so many generations of now adults, kids who've gone to the university, gone on and raised families and never really felt that sense of spirit ... that sense of belonging to a tradition that is uniquely Minnesota," said Archie Givens, who wore No. 46 while playing defense for the Gophers in 1964-65.

TCF Bank Stadium is a chance to change all that.

The athletics department, band, alumni and student groups are working on plans that will shape what game days will be like. A campus traditions committee has been meeting regularly to research the customs that have been lost, ways to keep those that have endured and ponder what new ones may develop.

The Past / Memorial Stadium was a brick behemoth that stood through much of the football program's glory years. Teams who made it their home won six national championships.

Game days often were all-day affairs. Fans draped in maroon and gold would mill about campus. Organizations hosted get-togethers.

As the throngs made their way to the Brick House, the growing blare of the marching band parading up University Avenue signaled game time soon would be there.

"If you lived on campus, you would hear the band and see all the people. You couldn't help but come out of your dorm and go to the game," said Andrea Hjelm, a former cheerleader and the 1964 homecoming queen.

By the time fans were in their seats and the marching band had performed its pregame numbers, the stadium was ready to burst, Givens said. His favorite part of game day was the rush of the team running onto the field and hearing the roar of the crowd with the Rouser.

"Those are things that I can still see today, in my mind," Givens said.

In one section was the old Rooter Club: students wearing white jackets and holding up colored cards that showed symbols in support of the Gophers.

"You'd squish together with those people, if it was a cold day, that was kind of more intimate," Hjelm remembered. "It was just great spirit."

Jan McKenzie Anderson, a 1965 graduate, was in the Rooter Club the last two seasons the team was in the Rose Bowl. She recalled the social gatherings held throughout campus before and after the games. Students would go to those sponsored by whatever religious club or fraternity they belonged to.

"Game day was not just going to the game and leaving," said Anderson, who spent her game days socializing at the Newman Club, where Roman Catholic students met.

Game days were all about belonging to something, Hjelm said.

The Future / As TCF Bank Stadium was taking shape, campus leaders decided to study how college football on campus has evolved during the past three decades. Visits were made to schools such as Florida and Ohio State.

From how the band practices and gets through traffic into the stadium to how to house all the alumni parties and tailgating, a lot of details have to be choreographed.

Almost always, the first question asked of the new stadium's traditions committee is whether the band's parade down University Avenue will return. It won't, said Margaret Sughrue Carlson, chief executive of the University of Minnesota Alumni Association and co-chair of the traditions committee.

The parade would tie up traffic at its peak, she noted. And there were concerns construction of the new light-rail line through campus would snarl congestion further on game days, Carlson said.

Band director Tim Diem said the band is working on alternatives to the parade, including a "march-around" similar to how the pep band plays school songs while circling the concourse before hockey games at Mariucci Arena.

The Rooter Club is gone, but officials are considering whether the card tricks or a student pep section could return, Carlson said. And some version of the Victory Walk by the team into the new stadium is likely to be held.

But only so much planning can go into the process of creating, or re-creating, traditions.

"A lot of what's going to happen is going to happen from the students organically," said Towle, who also co-chairs the traditions committee.

Does the first-down chant and routine return from past years at the Metrodome? What song will capture the students' attention most? Will nearby bars and restaurants become tailgating hot spots? Will the massive new scoreboard offer new ways to incorporate cheers and music?

A lot of details have yet to be decided on and worked out, she said.

Gopher's football coach Tim Brewster and his players are excited about the chance to start a new generation of traditions at the U.

"It's a dream come true for the state of Minnesota to get football back on campus," Brewster said. "I think Saturdays at TCF Bank Stadium here are going to be great days for all Minnesotans."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_12168695

Go Gophers!!

If ever I wished I was a high roller who could jet set around the world, it would be for the opening of TCF Stadium. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to connect to the game via the BTN that night, but I also hope that plenty of fans video the proceedings around the campus and stadium on game day and post them on you tube, it'll be a great day for the U of M!

I don't think a march around of the stadium would have the same impact as marching down University Avenue, but what do I know. The light rail claim is bogus since it will hit University south of the stadium anyway, right? So what if traffic gets tied up for 15 minutes?

I agree the band should march down University Avenue. (Warning entering rant) I guess that what our society has become. Everyone wants to spend the smallest time possible to do everything. Get there 15 before the game and leave right after. Also everyone wants to park 3 feet from the front door. I'm sorry but you can get off your lazy fat ass and walk 15 minutes to your seat. And we wonder why our society is overwieght on average.(End Rant) Also having the marching band march down University will punish those that are trying to get there 15 minutes before the and encourage people to get there earlier.

Don't you just love the way they talk about all the traditions returning and then they go on to say but we won't be marching down University and we won't be doing this or that....

The band marching down University Ave really isn't about traffic. During the Memorial years, the band was housed at Northrop, so after getting dressed, they had to get to the stadium - might as well march.

Now the band is housed in TCF. No need to get there from elsewhere. They will do a pregame show somewhere, probably in front of Williams, but marching down University requires them to go somewhere they have no reason to be other than to march.

Do people really think fans would line University anyway? They would cluster up near McNamara and the stadium end and maybe near dinky town if there is a block party going on or something with few people in between. All the parking and access to the stadium is on the opposite side. Why not start a new march around tradition or something where the people are?

The band marching down University Ave really isn't about traffic. During the Memorial years, the band was housed at Northrop, so after getting dressed, they had to get to the stadium - might as well march.

Now the band is housed in TCF. No need to get there from elsewhere. They will do a pregame show somewhere, probably in front of Williams, but marching down University requires them to go somewhere they have no reason to be other than to march.

Do people really think fans would line University anyway? They would cluster up near McNamara and the stadium end and maybe near dinky town if there is a block party going on or something with few people in between. All the parking and access to the stadium is on the opposite side. Why not start a new march around tradition or something where the people are?

I always thought of the march to the stadium as a sort of campus-wide "call to arms", having it only around the stadium where festivities are already taking place seems much too localized. Ask anyone who was at Memorial about the atmosphere and the first thing out of their mouth is usually the march down University.

I’ve been thinking that it would be cool if the Marching Band could break into "platoons" during some of the time before games. One platoon could roam around the tailgating parking lots near the stadium, another could march down the 4th Street go around dinkytown, and march back down University Ave, another could go around Stadium Village to Stub and Herbs, Sally's and McNamara, and maybe another one down Washington ave to the mall, or over to the St. Paul campus.

This way everyone could get a taste of the marching band while still being spread out a little, and the platoons would be small enough to march down the sidewalks without causing traffic issues on congested campus streets. The platoons would give more people the chance to hear all the great music our band plays while they are enjoying their activities before the game, and could lead to great traditions around campus.

The platoons could then meet back together in front of the student entrance of the stadium, do a big march all the way around the outside of the stadium (letting everyone know to head into the stadium), and march onto the field through the large service door near the student entrance.

The only issues I see with this plan is finding a good way to split up the band since the number of each instrument isn't always handy to divide evenly, and also letting the members of the band time to rest because all that marching and playing is very taxing, but I think that the platoons could march, stop and play, and rest periodically and I'm sure restaurants and places would be willing to supply their free entertainment some bottled water and snacks on game days.

GO GOPHERS!

Since the hot topic is naturally the march to the stadium, ill chime in with an idea.

How about the band is split up into, say five groups. Not into instrument sections, but rather groups of the same proportion as the band itself. Now these groups will be strategically placed around campus. At Coffman, Northrop, the Superblock, Dinkytown, and East of the Stadium on University.

Im sure the technology exits, and the coordination can be handled (by the marching band of all people) to start the march at the appropriate time marching and playing towards the stadium. This will gather people from all around campus and start them walking towards the stadium. The groups of band will be small enough to use sidewalks and not block the streets.

Then they all eventually gather and synch up seamlessly at the lawn between Williams and TCF and then they can do their march around the stadium or whatever the case may be. I think that would be a cool thing to see.... many parts of the band coming together and then maybe a good ole rouser when they finally are all together.

Oh my Lord, Farm Gopher! Talk about being on the same wavelength!!

Well I knew great minds think alike, but now we know great minds think gophers.

Yeah but me being five minutes later than you makes me a tool. Oh well, now at least we know its a good idea...

Any band people out there.... you should suggest it to your directors!!

I don't think a march around of the stadium would have the same impact as marching down University Avenue, but what do I know. The light rail claim is bogus since it will hit University south of the stadium anyway, right? So what if traffic gets tied up for 15 minutes?

Don't forget that this probably isn't only the U making the decision. I'm willing to bet that they tried to get this set up and the City of Minneapolis said "nuh uh". Remember, the City isn't even willing to close down 4th street in front of TCF on gamedays. If they're going to be jacka**es abouc closing down the one small section of street that should be closed down no matter what, then of course they'd be willing to be dumb about the most cited tradition about on campus FB.

That said, I really like the idea that FarmGopher and MrGopher have suggested.

Riiiiiiight

The parade would tie up traffic at its peak, she noted. And there were concerns construction of the new light-rail line through campus would snarl congestion further on game days, Carlson said.

Peak traffic huh? On a saturday. Light rail? It seems pretty silly to mislead people as to the reason the band won't march up university to the stadium. It has everything to do with band logistics. Unfortunately the new band home is at the end of the parade route(TCF Stadium) and not northrup. If it was important to the band and the U to march down university ave they would make it happen, but the fact is it's just not that big of a deal. A new tradition can be a good thing, we'll see.

I always thought of the march to the stadium as a sort of campus-wide "call to arms", having it only around the stadium where festivities are already taking place seems much too localized. Ask anyone who was at Memorial about the atmosphere and the first thing out of their mouth is usually the march down University.

That is true. I just don't think it will be in fall 2009 and after. The center of the pregame experience will not be along University other than right around McNamara/Williams. The band should go where the people will be.

If there is one group on campus that cares about tradition, it's the band. They would not have decided not to march down University Ave lightly. They hear more than anyone the memories of the band heading to Memorial Stadium. If they say it isn't workable, I take their word for it.

As JPII said - it is pure logistics. The band has to have morning rehearsal, get dressed with time to eat, go through inspection, then do some sort of plaza performance before getting inside with enough time for pregame. Adding moving everyone to Northrop and marching back is not worth it.

I know a lot of people loved the march down University, but if the band doesn't think it is workable and decides to establish a new tradition in its place I'm ok with that.

The platoon idea of groups of the band moving around Dinkytown and Stadium Village is a must. It would provide a good opportunity for the band to connect with fans more intimately then they currently do.

I anticipate that some Wisconsin fans will start accusing us of copying them. The badger band breaks up by instrument and marches around and it's very effective. My wife, when she attended Madison, said the band marched through the front door of their house, went through the apartment while playing, then marched out the back door.

I doubt Wisconsin was the first band to do this, but some of their fans will inevitably brag that they did start it. Either way I like the platoon idea a lot and even if Wisconsin was the first to try it, I say smart people ignore pride and do what's best, even if it means copying the competition. While we're well on our way to passing them up on the field, there's no harm in also beating them in a band competition. And we should absolutely not allow their band on our campus.

The platoon idea of groups of the band moving around Dinkytown and Stadium Village is a must. It would provide a good opportunity for the band to connect with fans more intimately then they currently do.

I anticipate that some Wisconsin fans will start accusing us of copying them. The badger band breaks up by instrument and marches around and it's very effective. My wife, when she attended Madison, said the band marched through the front door of their house, went through the apartment while playing, then marched out the back door.

I doubt Wisconsin was the first band to do this, but some of their fans will inevitably brag that they did start it. Either way I like the platoon idea a lot and even if Wisconsin was the first to try it, I say smart people ignore pride and do what's best, even if it means copying the competition. While we're well on our way to passing them up on the field, there's no harm in also beating them in a band competition. And we should absolutely not allow their band on our campus.

F any badger fans who make a big deal out of this. If our band starts heading around TCF during the 2nd half of the game by section playing the Rouser then they can get all high and mighty (as far as I know that is a WI thing). But breaking into smaller "pep" style bands to roam for pregame? Not a unique idea in my mind. Also, should any Badger fan try to talk sh*t with this I recommend pointing out to them that On Wisconsin was written for Minnesota. The words were changed when the composer found out his tune wasn't going to win as Minnesota's song. Just remind them that there is no need to thank us...we're glad to share our leftovers with the needy.

How long until some of this draws the Becky trolls. I'm going to say by...11am tomorrow one of them has their panties in a bunch.

F any badger fans who make a big deal out of this. If our band starts heading around TCF during the 2nd half of the game by section playing the Rouser then they can get all high and mighty (as far as I know that is a WI thing). But breaking into smaller "pep" style bands to roam for pregame? Not a unique idea in my mind. Also, should any Badger fan try to talk sh*t with this I recommend pointing out to them that On Wisconsin was written for Minnesota. The words were changed when the composer found out his tune wasn't going to win as Minnesota's song. Just remind them that there is no need to thank us...we're glad to share our leftovers with the needy.

How long until some of this draws the Becky trolls. I'm going to say by...11am tomorrow one of them has their panties in a bunch.

Actually, I doubt any Badger fans will get their panties in a bunch over this...none of what you mentioned above sounds unique to Wisconsin; nor does it sound like anything they invented. Now, if our band played Jump Around after the 3rd Q, that would seem pretty dumb...the rest is just band stuff - everyone does it.

I think the band should split into 3 equal parts. At about 30-45 minutes before the game. 1/3 of the band marches down University Ave. from Church St. Simultaneously, 1/3 of the band marches up Oak Street from the superblock; and the other 1/3 marches down University from the other end, past the tailgating lots. They merge together in front of TCF, and stream into the stadium, Minnesota March and Rouser blaring...

Actually, I doubt any Badger fans will get their panties in a bunch over this...none of what you mentioned above sounds unique to Wisconsin; nor does it sound like anything they invented. Now, if our band played Jump Around after the 3rd Q, that would seem pretty dumb...the rest is just band stuff - everyone does it.

Trust me, I'll hear about this plenty here in Madison if our band decides to do it. If they were doing it before us, even if they didn't come up with it or if its clearly "band stuff", I'll hear about it. Most of it will be from good buddies just trying to get a rise out of me. But I know enough of the fans in this town to know the kind of BS that a small but vocal minority of them will spout and defend over something silly like this.

I love the idea of the band breaking up into pep bands and go around and fire people up. But if any one thinks that going and playing at the Super Block before about 9:30 is crazy. If you really want to piss off a college student wake them up really early. Also many will be hungover and that makes it even less fun.

If any badger fan ever says the Minnesota Marching Band copied the wisconsin one, you tell them:

"Trust me pal, when our band starts getting drunk all the time molesting each other and getting suspended for it.....THEN you can accuse us of copying."

If the wisconsin band wants to play on our turf, they should have to go door to door around here and admit that they (as a group) are registered sex offenders.

have the band march through the traffic. the cars will be at a stand still any way.

Speaking of traditions the U is going to crap all over and forget, I thought I remember hearing that the ROTC used to fire a cannon at Memorial Stadium, is that right? It would be great if they could again, but I bet that won't happen either.

Band Pre-Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8h2rDUPOWs this is what the Ohio State Band does prior to the games...it's the best I've seen. Being a Gopher Band Alum from the 60's and having waiting this long to see the band march down Univ Ave before the games, why am I not surprised that this is happening. this is also the same band that is the ONLY big 10 band NOT to take a road trip during the season. They can always come up with a million reasons why NOT to do something, but this one really takes the cake. They could easily march up 4th ST to Dinkytown,do a short pep rally, then march back to the stadium on Univ Ave right down frat row. Or they could put on a huge rally like OSU does, in Willliams Arena, (OSU does it in St. John's arena), and then march right across the street to the new stadium. I'm sure they could find another million reasons why they couldn't do that either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8h2rDUPOWs this is what the Ohio State Band does prior to the games...it's the best I've seen. Being a Gopher Band Alum from the 60's and having waiting this long to see the band march down Univ Ave before the games, why am I not surprised that this is happening. this is also the same band that is the ONLY big 10 band NOT to take a road trip during the season. They can always come up with a million reasons why NOT to do something, but this one really takes the cake. They could easily march up 4th ST to Dinkytown,do a short pep rally, then march back to the stadium on Univ Ave right down frat row. Or they could put on a huge rally like OSU does, in Willliams Arena, (OSU does it in St. John's arena), and then march right across the street to the new stadium. I'm sure they could find another million reasons why they couldn't do that either.

I have been at the Ohio State rally in St john's arena...quite a deal and it is a packed house! Very fun and it gets your blood boiling no doubt!

This would not be new for the U. I know that the Trumpet section came to play "Kill, Maim, Pillage, Burn" by our tailgate area for the past few years when we tailgated near The Old Spaghetti Factory. They have been breaking off since at least 2006. They knew our group w/ Sour and PLG and were always more than willing to come by.

the marching band brings nothing to the table

facepalm.jpg

Top Bottom