stadium seating question

Donovan

Reaction score
I took a bike ride over to the stadium today, first time since last fall. Looks great! I was surprised how small it looks inside, which is a good thing, much more intimate than the Dome. Here's my question, if I were sitting in the top/last row of the new stadium, what would be the equivalent seat in the Dome?

I took a bike ride over to the stadium today, first time since last fall. Looks great! I was surprised how small it looks inside, which is a good thing, much more intimate than the Dome. Here's my question, if I were sitting in the top/last row of the new stadium, what would be the equivalent seat in the Dome?

If I remember correctly, there are basically the same number of rows. But because of how TCF was designed, you are closer to the field (and you feel even closer than that).

You should be 15 feet closer to the field laterally and about the same distance in terms of height.

If I remember correctly, there are basically the same number of rows. But because of how TCF was designed, you are closer to the field (and you feel even closer than that).

Do you mean TCF Stadium will have the same number of rows as both decks of the Dome? That does not seem right. I was thinking top row in TCF would be about the same distance from the field as maybe the 10 row of the upper deck in the Dome.

Do you mean TCF Stadium will have the same number of rows as both decks of the Dome? That does not seem right. I was thinking top row in TCF would be about the same distance from the field as maybe the 10 row of the upper deck in the Dome.

Like Great Plains said, you will be 15 feet closer to the field. But there are basically the same # of rows per deck at TCF as there are at the dome.

15 feet closer to the field, on campus, under the open sky. what's not to like?

Donovan, it's interesting you mention you thought it looked small inside. I've actually heard a lot of people say that it looks huge, much taller than they expected, looks bigger than 50k seats, etc. Anyone have any insight on why the different perceptions?

Donovan, it's interesting you mention you thought it looked small inside. I've actually heard a lot of people say that it looks huge, much taller than they expected, looks bigger than 50k seats, etc. Anyone have any insight on why the different perceptions?

I think it's proximity to the field. TCF Bank is also steeper, like the design of the X. You are just as high up as in the dome, but closer to the field.

Imagine that with the open end closed, the TCF could seat 80,000. It's hard to fathom, but true.

We sat in row 6 in Kinnick in 2005, which is really close to the field. You would never guess that stadium holds over 70,000 from there.

I think it's proximity to the field. TCF Bank is also steeper, like the design of the X. You are just as high up as in the dome, but closer to the field.

Imagine that with the open end closed, the TCF could seat 80,000. It's hard to fathom, but true.

We sat in row 6 in Kinnick in 2005, which is really close to the field. You would never guess that stadium holds over 70,000 from there.

They will never close the open end. The 30,000 extra seat will come from adding a second deck on the visitor's side and over bowl end.

Most people think it looks bigger than 50,000 seats because alot of stadiums (the dome included) are built into the ground (i.e. the lower deck of the dome is actually underground). TCF starts at the ground level and goes up so it looks much taller than those stadiums from the outside. Have you ever seen the Big House at Michigan from the outside? Not very impressive as its basically a big hole in the ground. The new additions/renovations will change that slightly but TCF looks alot bigger from the outside than the 100,000+ seat Big House (if you can believe it).

Until the Gophers are Consistent Winners

TCF will house the loyal 35,000 very comfortably. I have written this before, but my first glimse at College Football was a game between Nebraska and Hawaii in Lincoln in 1958. Two opposing stands with both ends open. The field house on the East and Law Building on the west. You could have sat anywhere for that game,i remember running up and down the steps, and down the plank seats. By 1965 both ends were closed, and rest is sell outs. When it was announced that they were going to install luxury boxes in the North Stands, they were sold before construction began. Win baby and the end of the stadium will be closed. For Big Ten fans, think of the Horseshoe at Columbus, Ohio Stadium. The open end has been closed and double decked. Its revenue.

TCF will house the loyal 35,000 very comfortably. I have written this before, but my first glimse at College Football was a game between Nebraska and Hawaii in Lincoln in 1958. Two opposing stands with both ends open. The field house on the East and Law Building on the west. You could have sat anywhere for that game,i remember running up and down the steps, and down the plank seats. By 1965 both ends were closed, and rest is sell outs. When it was announced that they were going to install luxury boxes in the North Stands, they were sold before construction began. Win baby and the end of the stadium will be closed. For Big Ten fans, think of the Horseshoe at Columbus, Ohio Stadium. The open end has been closed and double decked. Its revenue.

I don't see them closing the open end. Assuming we win enough to get to 80,000 seats, I don't see why we'd need to get more. 80K is a great size for a college football stadium. We aren't OSU. Besides that fact, the open end is a very unique and positive part of the design. Closing in the end would really change the feel of the stadium as a part of campus. Additionally, there really isn't enough room to squeeze in the footings for an expansion (with a HUGE scoreboard on top) next to the road and still have a usable space for walking. The open plaza is, and will remain a part of TCF.

I agree the outside of the stadium looks quite big (do to the fact it is not dug into the ground like other stadiums). I was referring to the inside of the stadium as I looked in from the open horseshoe area. It just looked more intimate than the Dome.

Top Bottom