You Would Think This Guy Would Have The decency To Wait Until After Spring Ball

but its on his behalf. Attorneys don't just go ahead and file an appeal without the consent of their client.

but its on his behalf. Attorneys don't just go ahead and file an appeal without the consent of their client.

Not to be mean, but I'm thinking that Jones' judgement could be questioned by being there in the first place. Now add a top notch attorney chatting in his ear. I am sure Gray is very persuasive.

Anyway, I have no problem with this. Like it or not they do have the right to request a second trial. Based on Gray's comments after the trial, I'm surprised he waited this long.

Its not like he hasn't let the program and the school down enough already.

http://www.startribune.com/local/43121357.html

I think he is more concerned with the problems he's facing. Why would he spend any time worrying about the U? It's not like if he's cleared of the charges that he'll be allowed to play again.

I know no one wants to see this in the news anymore b/c it could make the program/U look bad, but anyone who associates this with the current team is looking for a reason to hate. Jones was booted immediately by Brewster and the whole situation was handled well by the U. Its not like the Iowa mess where the University and coaching staff tried to ignore the problem or hush it up.

I think he is more concerned with the problems he's facing. Why would he spend any time worrying about the U? It's not like if he's cleared of the charges that he'll be allowed to play again.

I know no one wants to see this in the news anymore b/c it could make the program/U look bad, but anyone who associates this with the current team is looking for a reason to hate. Jones was booted immediately by Brewster and the whole situation was handled well by the U. Its not like the Iowa mess where the University and coaching staff tried to ignore the problem or hush it up.
+1 :clap:

The rape shield law is actually a very interesting/controversial legal issue and the motion for a second trial very much impacts Jones' life going forward. If he is able to erase his conviction through a plea bargain or a second trial he'll go back to having a clean criminal record -- not to mention the fact that he won't be a felon anymore.

Its interesting to note that Mich State running back Winston, who was convicted of assault and sentenced to six months in jail, will continue receiving his scholarship and even tutoring, while in jail. Danatonio really runs a tight ship.

Its interesting to note that Mich State running back Winston, who was convicted of assault and sentenced to six months in jail, will continue receiving his scholarship and even tutoring, while in jail. Danatonio really runs a tight ship.

They might be legally required to provide the agreed upon aid? I dunno. Are they planning to let him back on the team? Before you toss stones I'd made sure Jones didn't get a similar deal because of a University rule.

I agree this sort of thing looks bad (and could very well be shady) but since we're talking agreed upon aid there might be another explanation.

Earl Gray is very persuasive.
He's one of the top Criminal Defense attorneys in the Twin Cities, and yes, he's going to fight for everything.
And, really, there is no reason to think this should have any bearing on Gophers athletics (it will for some, but it shouldn't). Honestly, I don't know how else they should have handled this.
Also, let me just say I agree with GoAupher's posting.

Whether the conviction gets overturned over not, Jones has already had his life somewhat ruined by what happened. And in the court of public opinion, he'll always be labeled as a rapist regardless of what happens from a legal standpoint.

As it pertains to the U, I don't think that it reflects badly on the program one way or the other. The kid and his cohorts were immediately axed and relieved of their scholarships to the U when they found out about it. The fact that he and the rest of the guys are former U football players adds a certain irony to the situation, but they have long been out of the loop as it pertains to either the football program or the university as a whole.

As stated in a previous reply, I'm not sure that any of us were in his shoes (felt we were innocent) would wait until spring ball is over. For one thing, its not like this is Texas or Alabama spring ball -- our spring ball can barely get a line in the Trib most days. And, why would he wait? If the timing is now for his to get the best deal/date/whatever he (or his attorney) needs to go for it. This is nothing to take so personally ...

is this really worth taliking about?

Old enough to know better but too stupid to leave town and be forgotten. The kid should "hit " the bricks...go back to Ohio.

Its not like the Iowa mess where the University and coaching staff tried to ignore the problem or hush it up.

If I remember correctly Satterfield and Everson where suspended within a few days of the alleged rape. (Alleged only because it hasn't even gone to trial yet.) So it was not ignored. The Iowa athletic department has been cleared of any mishandling of the situation twice. The second was after an an independent investigation by the Stolar Partners of St Louis who also concluded that “numerous and substantial flaws in not only the response of the University of Iowa to the alleged sexual assault at issue, but also in its policies, procedures and practices regarding the same.” Two members of the University staff were fired by University President Sally Mason and she was widely criticized for her role in not showing the board of regents letters sent by the victim's mother.

So no coverup but plenty of errors in judgement concernig the handling of the situation.

horse***t

Ferentz told the woman in question that he would discipline the young man 'in-house' and therefore the police would not be needed.

That is the definition of a coverup.

And just because a university investigated itself doesn't mean anything. It was basically a way for them to cover their own ass. We don't need to pretend one situation was better or worse than the other. But let's not try to pretend that there was nothing wrong in Iowa City either.

you are such a hypocrit nervous why would you post this?????hmmm should i try and put my life back on the right track... or wait for a gopher game to finish which doesnt matter...

Ferentz told the woman in question that he would discipline the young man 'in-house' and therefore the police would not be needed.

Ferentz didn't tell the young woman anything. He attended a meeting along with Barta, campus security, the victim and her parents and yes, they were urged to not to go to the police which the parents decided to do until later.

That is the definition of a coverup.

No, it isn't. Unless you think the parents went along with the 'coverup'.

And just because a university investigated itself doesn't mean anything.

If you'd of read carefully you would have seen the reference to the board of regents and Stolar Group. The University did not investigate itself.

It was basically a way for them to cover their own ass.

You are right -if they had investigated themselves.

We don't need to pretend one situation was better or worse than the other.

Amen to that.

But let's not try to pretend that there was nothing wrong in Iowa City either.

As I wrote in my original post two people were fired and the Stolar Group (there's that name again) found multiple issues with the way it was handled. Hardly an attempt on my part to say that there was nothing wrong.

If I remember correctly Satterfield and Everson where suspended within a few days of the alleged rape. (Alleged only because it hasn't even gone to trial yet.) So it was not ignored. The Iowa athletic department has been cleared of any mishandling of the situation twice. The second was after an an independent investigation by the Stolar Partners of St Louis who also concluded that “numerous and substantial flaws in not only the response of the University of Iowa to the alleged sexual assault at issue, but also in its policies, procedures and practices regarding the same.” Two members of the University staff were fired by University President Sally Mason and she was widely criticized for her role in not showing the board of regents letters sent by the victim's mother.

So no coverup but plenty of errors in judgement concernig the handling of the situation.

I really didn't mean that last comment as a big slam against Iowa and if Ferentz's role was exaggerated in the early reports I read in the Iowa papers then my bad. I was just trying to reinforce my point that the U handled our mess well and that anyone who questions that should look at what happened at Iowa for an example of what not to do (which you definitely acknowledge).

Top Bottom