Where are the Klein Haters?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Weren't people calling for his head a few weeks ago, just like Limegrover? To many injuries, getting destroyed on the LOS... Now Souhan is writing about Klein as one of the three coaches Kill was right about when touting his staff.

As Souhan puts it. "Kill raved about three of his assistants in particular when he arrived: Claeys, Limegrover, and strength coach Eric Klein. Now we know this wasn’t just self-congratulatory spin. Claeys and Limegrover have distinguished themselves in Kill’s absence, and Klein’s work has been evident as the Gophers have manhandled two Big Ten teams that have been ranked in the top 25 this season."

"Did anyone ever forsee a day when Gophers quarterbacks would be more physical than Nebraska linemen?"

I was not aware before this week that Klein is the one leading the team onto the field and not Kill or any other assistant coach.

Easy, hot shot. Let's see how we line up and play smash mouth against MSU and Wisconsin before we get too carried away. Claeys very much seems to be the real deal, but let's also not annoint Limegrover after one good game.

Some injuries are just unavoidable, no matter what. But, in general, it seems the injury bug that was sooooo common (especially with the O-line) have gone down considerably. At the same time, the running game has improved and we have seen multiple situations where the Gophers have overpowered their foe. Even my wife, far from a football or strength/conditioning expert, exclaimed the obvious a couple games ago: She said, "It doesn't seem like any of the Gophers are fat, but they look bigger to me." That is Schnauzerette for "The strength and conditioning program at the University of Minnesota football program is in very good hands."

Some injuries are just unavoidable, no matter what. But, in general, it seems the injury bug that was sooooo common (especially with the O-line) have gone down considerably. At the same time, the running game has improved and we have seen multiple situations where the Gophers have overpowered their foe. Even my wife, far from a football or strength/conditioning expert, exclaimed the obvious a couple games ago: She said, "It doesn't seem like any of the Gophers are fat, but they look bigger to me." That is Schnauzerette for "The strength and conditioning program at the University of Minnesota football program is in very good hands."

My thoughts exactly. It's the "conditioning" part that has helped avoid injuries. It doesn't just mean endurance. From videos and in person visits, I've seen that Klein includes stretching and yoga as a big part of the daily routine. I'm sure most guys would initially think the yoga part is wussy.

On a personal level I've incorporated yoga into my weekly routine for about 2-1/2 years. The occurrences of a stiff neck or back have been reduced by about 90%. I haven't had more than about 2-3 headaches in that time as well. I had two dinged up shoulders that were so bad that I couldn't lift my arms any higher than halfway. Nearly all the pain and stiffness has been alleviated. No surgery, no drugs, not even pain relievers.

I think the players' flexibility has greatly helped avoid injury.

FYI, I think Klein has always lead them from the buses across the field to the locker-room. That's the clip they showed. The team enters the gate, locks arms, and walks across the field to the bowl end. It has been a game day routine since day one. I think Klein has always been the leader of that procession.

I was thinking maybe Klein has taken a few tips from Souhan. He also seems be aware of medical issues associated with the team. :rolleyes:

Anyway on a serious note, our team seems to be improving slowly all around. This comes from doing the same thing over and over again and adding the right increments over time. It is really fun to watch how we are growing, especially line play on both sides of the ball. This wouldn't be possible if we only had a few players that were in good shape. We don't take plays off, because of conditioning and that helps us avoid some injuries.

Great points Highwayman. Klein seems to be one of the best in the business. I've been amazed at the lack of player injuries and the speedy recoveries this year. I've also been doing yoga for about six months and see the health benefits and boost to athletic performance it provides (golf is much easier). Amazing that every team doesn't use it as a tool.

Weren't people calling for his head a few weeks ago, just like Limegrover? To many injuries, getting destroyed on the LOS... Now Souhan is writing about Klein as one of the three coaches Kill was right about when touting his staff.

As Souhan puts it. "Kill raved about three of his assistants in particular when he arrived: Claeys, Limegrover, and strength coach Eric Klein. Now we know this wasn’t just self-congratulatory spin. Claeys and Limegrover have distinguished themselves in Kill’s absence, and Klein’s work has been evident as the Gophers have manhandled two Big Ten teams that have been ranked in the top 25 this season."

"Did anyone ever forsee a day when Gophers quarterbacks would be more physical than Nebraska linemen?"

Perhaps the young lineman are starting to mature and hence Mr. Klein looks smarter. If a tall task to have 18, 19 and 20 year olds, try to block 21-23 year old's. It can be boys vs men, like it was last year. Hopefully these linemen keep getting better and become the men that a will be needed to keep winning.

On a personal level I've incorporated yoga into my weekly routine for about 2-1/2 years.

Also:

4ZxN9NM.jpg

Perhaps the young lineman are starting to mature and hence Mr. Klein looks smarter. If a tall task to have 18, 19 and 20 year olds, try to block 21-23 year old's. It can be boys vs men, like it was last year. Hopefully these linemen keep getting better and become the men that a will be needed to keep winning.

Maybe their starting to mature because of his tutelage...

I'm thinking maybe someone needs Yoga Sensitivity/Awareness training. Perhaps our next home game?

Highwayman, are you saying 100% of your pain relief is due to the yoga? Or is it just part of what's helped? Perhaps being the only male in a roomful of flexible females has made your pains go away...? I'm no doctor, or anything. Just askin'....lol

I was critical of Klein. I never said he should be fired, just said I was not impressed. Things are going well, and I hope that continues.

MaxyJR1, have you been as accepting of Souhan's opinions when they did not support those of your own? If you want to call out Klein critics, that's fine, but Souhan's opinion is the last you should be using.

I was thinking maybe Klein has taken a few tips from Souhan. He also seems be aware of medical issues associated with the team. :rolleyes:

Anyway on a serious note, our team seems to be improving slowly all around. This comes from doing the same thing over and over again and adding the right increments over time. It is really fun to watch how we are growing, especially line play on both sides of the ball. This wouldn't be possible if we only had a few players that were in good shape. We don't take plays off, because of conditioning and that helps us avoid some injuries.

Plus Souhan is very fit.

Yes, build a program with 4-5 year guys who are coachable, trainable, loyal, and team-oriented. That's what we're starting to see here.

I agree with you. His jeans are way to tight for mature men like you and me.

Um, define 'mature.' Do you mean age or "showing the mental and emotional qualities of an adult."

Um, define 'mature.' Do you mean age or "showing the mental and emotional qualities of an adult."

killme, the definition is simple..."adequately displays my manhood". In my case, they are way too tight that they make me uncomfortable in my manhood region. :)

My thoughts exactly. It's the "conditioning" part that has helped avoid injuries. It doesn't just mean endurance. From videos and in person visits, I've seen that Klein includes stretching and yoga as a big part of the daily routine. I'm sure most guys would initially think the yoga part is wussy.

On a personal level I've incorporated yoga into my weekly routine for about 2-1/2 years. The occurrences of a stiff neck or back have been reduced by about 90%. I haven't had more than about 2-3 headaches in that time as well. I had two dinged up shoulders that were so bad that I couldn't lift my arms any higher than halfway. Nearly all the pain and stiffness has been alleviated. No surgery, no drugs, not even pain relievers.

I think the players' flexibility has greatly helped avoid injury.

FYI, I think Klein has always lead them from the buses across the field to the locker-room. That's the clip they showed. The team enters the gate, locks arms, and walks across the field to the bowl end. It has been a game day routine since day one. I think Klein has always been the leader of that procession.

my exact thoughts about Yoga, wow was I way wrong.

Top Bottom