Souhan: Kill's talented staff stepping up, making him look good

You know. There is a reason Gopherholers have a terrible reputation. It's the butt hurts that think 15 people not clicking on their articles will actually do something.

Souhan wrote a terrible article a month ago. Get over it. This one was pretty good.

The media isn't out to get you. You can take the tinfoil hats off now.

I may be wrong, but, it was my impression that Prexy K extended Coach Kill's contract when he started to hear just what terrible shape the Football Program was in following the Brewster era. I believe that Prexy K realized that this situation was more challenging than he could have imagined.

wren, I agree totally. People give you crap for your diatribes, but occasionally you are right on the money. this is exactly what happened during the transition for Smiling Glen to Rooster Brewster and the whole load of chicken $hit was turned over to Coach Jerry Kill.

Coach Kill and HIS STAFF are gradually turning chicken $hit into chicken salad.

Jerry Kill and HIS Staff have renewed interest from the Gopher Nation, so

GO GOPHERS!!!

I'm rooting FOR Jerry Kill, the man.

0aNtajn.gif

I get Souhan's point, this article is an attempt to say Claeys deserves much of the credit, which he does, I don't think any Gopher fan wouldn't agree with that. He should have just written it that way and not try to discredit Kill though, saying he should now become a baker instead of coaching.

I do agree with one Souhan point here though, that the in game decision making has been better with Claeys in charge. The great unknown though is how much Kill has been communicating from the booth so Souhan shouldn't be automatically giving the credit to Claeys because we don't know how much input Kill has actually had, at least for the NW and NEB games.

+1 was thinking along the same lines. Souhan writes 5 sentences/paragraphs of backhanded attack and then actually starts making sense. He desperately needed an editor on this one. Had he omitted that portion I think he actually makes a decent statement with this piece instead of a half ass article.

I get Souhan's point, this article is an attempt to say Claeys deserves much of the credit, which he does, I don't think any Gopher fan wouldn't agree with that. He should have just written it that way and not try to discredit Kill though, saying he should now become a baker instead of coaching.

I do agree with one Souhan point here though, that the in game decision making has been better with Claeys in charge. The great unknown though is how much Kill has been communicating from the booth so Souhan shouldn't be automatically giving the credit to Claeys because we don't know how much input Kill has actually had, at least for the NW and NEB games.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but we don't know about the bolded (above). It's the old correlation does not imply causation. Sure, the results turned out great, but we have no way of knowing how those games would have played out with Coach Kill on the sideline.

I'm rooting FOR Jerry Kill, the man. Which means I don't think he should be on the sidelines as acting head coach for the Gophers.

Stage will be set fairly well if Claeys continues as "game day" head coach for the rest of the season and they do well. Reclass Kill to a special assistant, Claeys is HC and forward we go.

Otherwise we're dealing with the inevitable.

Which is what, Dr. GW?

You know. There is a reason Gopherholers have a terrible reputation. It's the butt hurts that think 15 people not clicking on their articles will actually do something.

Souhan wrote a terrible article a month ago. Get over it. This one was pretty good.

Not sure why someone deciding to not click on any articles gives Gopherholers a terrible reputation.

Not sure why someone deciding to not click on any articles gives Gopherholers a terrible reputation.

We have the reputation of being over sensitive and hypocritical. There isn't a fan base in Minnesota as sensitive as us.

We have the reputation of being over sensitive and hypocritical. There isn't a fan base in Minnesota as sensitive as us.

You realize the Vikings fans went absolutely ape$hit on Yahoo, Grantland, etc when they were picked ~25 in the NFL before the season right?

We know how that's turning out....

Not trying to start a Vikings vs Gophers fan debate (I'm both), just saying the sensitivity is all over

afurry91, some of us might very well be what you claim, sensitive and hypocritical, but.....we're freaking fans. That being said, Gopherhole is a pretty good source for up to the minute Gopher news. Some really good posters here that share what they know. Media might not like this spot because, frankly, it's quite often a better outlet for info. Heck, they probably lurk on here to find out things.

Edit, sorry got a little sensitive and off topic.

wren, I agree totally. People give you crap for your diatribes, but occasionally you are right on the money. this is exactly what happened during the transition for Smiling Glen to Rooster Brewster and the whole load of chicken $hit was turned over to Coach Jerry Kill.

You call the signed, sealed and delivered deal for TCF BANK STADIUM a "load of...(chicken $hit....)? What kind of crap is that doc?

Well, doc: you must be too deeply into your cups and drinking too much again. What Mason left that Brewster and prexy b and bj macturi with was an ok from the legislators for TCF BANK STADIUM. What that prexy b character turned around and gave the football program was an I.O.U. for the huge Mason buyout just one season after prexy b had bj macturi EXTEND Mason. Then that fool prexy b. hired Brewster? What an impulsive hot-head that darn prexy b. was. We blame badger joel macturi....but prexy b called ALL the shots and he got EXACTLY what he ordered his underling macturi to do. It was a pretty ugly chapter for the office of the prexy at the U of M.

Sober up doc. That stuff's going to do you in.

Just as you left-handed a compliment to me, I have to send it right back to you. That's the way you seem to want to play it doc...so that's the way we'll have to play it, I guess. Be a little more decent doc. Don't drink so damn much doc. You are getting all mixed up...at least that's the way you like to advertise yourself.

afurry91, some of us might very well be what you claim, sensitive and hypocritical, but.....we're freaking fans. That being said, Gopherhole is a pretty good source for up to the minute Gopher news. Some really good posters here that share what they know. Media might not like this spot because, frankly, it's quite often a better outlet for info. Heck, they probably lurk on here to find out things.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with the media's opinion of this place. This is by far the best place for up to the minute Gopher news and discussion. I do think this board can be sensitive at times and the hatred of the local media get so old and so annoying so fast (Except Judd the pessimist. I don't get his shtick). For example, the articles being written about the Vikings are pretty nasty, yet the fan base understands and accepts them as valid. Why? Because they want change. Do you think Gopher fans would react the same way? I don't. We would come with every excuse in the book to defend our team when in fact, a good fan, will continue to support the team yet realize that being critical is perfectly okay and promotes change.

I just don't see the point of all this grudge holding that so many posters seem to exhibit. Move on. Enjoy the season, and dammit learn how to take a compliment from the local media.

One thing I've never understood is how this board never takes the high road. Negative article written about the U? The forum is laced with one liners and personal insults towards the writer. Take the high road. Slinging insults just makes us look bad.

Its funny to me that for how much this board hates Soupcan, his threads always go to multiple pages.

Its funny to me that for how much this board hates Soupcan, his threads always go to multiple pages.

Very true. I think everybody is mad about how fit Jim is. I mean, he is really fit.

Edit, sorry got a little sensitive and off topic.

+1,000. Couldn't have said any of that better. GH rocks, the media read it constantly, and yes, we're hypocritical, we're fans!!

I'm not necessarily agreeing with the media's opinion of this place. This is by far the best place for up to the minute Gopher news and discussion. I do think this board can be sensitive at times and the hatred of the local media get so old and so annoying so fast (Except Judd the pessimist. I don't get his shtick). For example, the articles being written about the Vikings are pretty nasty, yet the fan base understands and accepts them as valid. Why? Because they want change. Do you think Gopher fans would react the same way? I don't. We would come with every excuse in the book to defend our team when in fact, a good fan, will continue to support the team yet realize that being critical is perfectly okay and promotes change.

I just don't see the point of all this grudge holding that so many posters seem to exhibit. Move on. Enjoy the season, and dammit learn how to take a compliment from the local media.

One thing I've never understood is how this board never takes the high road. Negative article written about the U? The forum is laced with one liners and personal insults towards the writer. Take the high road. Slinging insults just makes us look bad.

Other than Gopher wins....what is more enjoyable than one liners and slinging insults?

Other than Gopher wins....what is more enjoyable than one liners and slinging insults?

40 time debates, how recruiting stars are updated, and discussions about how great of a QB Adam Weber was?

I may be wrong, but, it was my impression that Prexy K extended Coach Kill's contract when he started to hear just what terrible shape the Football Program was in following the Brewster era. I believe that Prexy K realized that this situation was more challenging than he could have imagined.

That is correct wren.

The in game coaching seems better because we played Northwestern and Nebraska instead of Iowa and Michigan. It's easier to coach when you have a physical advantage in the trenches. I predict the in game coaching will seem worse against Wisconsin and Michigan St regardless of who is on the sidelines.
Souhan says Kill gets too excited on the sidelines which causes in game mistakes, yet sites no examples. He says the sidelines are more efficient under Claes. He knows this how? I don't think he was at the Neb game and I doubt he has any reliable sources at the U.
This just comes across as written by a guy with an ax to grind.

I might be ostracized but do not think the media is out to get the Gophers. I do think, from what I've read, that Souhan is focusing on writing about Kill in the most despicable way he can. It is not subtle. I am offended. I resent your command to "get over it." I will not. I will try my best to forgive him if he apologizes, but since that's not going to happen, I intend to hold a grudge. The only means I have to adversely affect the Star Tribune is to avoid clicks. If the smaller number of clicks is insignificant and does not harm their ability to sell ads, oh well.

If anyone here agrees with what Souhan has written, then I strongly disagree with them. There's nothing about his column that serves any purpose other than to malign Kill and the Gopher administration. You, afurry91, seem to think the article was complimentary. That, and other things you've written, make me wonder about your motives.

From David Shama’s talk with J Robinson, “leadership isn’t measured just when the leader is present. A test of leadership is whether things “fall apart,” or if they function successfully when the leader is absent.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/national-championships-coach-praises-kill/

Dang, that is a good quote. I really like it. I wonder if Robinson got that from somewhere or it can be attributed to him? Wasn't aware he was an Army Ranger. Possibly learned it in Ranger school?

I might be ostracized but do not think the media is out to get the Gophers. I do think, from what I've read, that Souhan is focusing on writing about Kill in the most despicable way he can. It is not subtle. I am offended. I resent your command to "get over it." I will not. I will try my best to forgive him if he apologizes, but since that's not going to happen, I intend to hold a grudge. The only means I have to adversely affect the Star Tribune is to avoid clicks. If the smaller number of clicks is insignificant and does not harm their ability to sell ads, oh well.

If anyone here agrees with what Souhan has written, then I strongly disagree with them. There's nothing about his column that serves any purpose other than to malign Kill and the Gopher administration. You, afurry91, seem to think the article was complimentary. That, and other things you've written, make me wonder about your motives.

No motives here.Take off the tinfoil hat. I love my Gophs. Just getting sick of the media hatred circle jerk.

You're right, Unregistered User -- I am overly sensitive.

afurry91 - I'm not wearing a hat, don't hate the media, but am very upset (some might say overly sensitive. lol) to Souhan's columns. He has obviously, at least to me, taken a side. I have unabashedly stated on this forum whose side I'm on. I probably should confine my time here to lurking and reading so I don't offend any Gopher fans.

You're right, Unregistered User -- I am overly sensitive.

afurry91 - I'm not wearing a hat, don't hate the media, but am very upset (some might say overly sensitive. lol) to Souhan's columns. He has obviously, at least to me, taken a side. I have unabashedly stated on this forum whose side I'm on. I probably should confine my time here to lurking and reading so I don't offend any Gopher fans.

It was at afurry, not you. I'm with you.

It's too bad. The only stuff I see from the Strib anymore are the cut and paste stuff that gets posted from Joe C. or Amelia. They both do a good job and deserve clicks, but they are not going to get them from me as long as the links direct me to the Strib site.

It was at afurry, not you. I'm with you.

Thanks, Unregistered...um, can I call you Unregistered? Or do you prefer the whole "Unregistered User"? Anyway, I am overly sensitive. To connect with the women in my life, over the years I've tried to get in touch with my feminine side. I kinda have a hard time with it. lol

Top Bottom