Souhan: Kill's talented staff stepping up, making him look good

Not bad, Mr. Tongue-in-cheek.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

To any strib employee reading this,

I will not click that link. I refuse to click on any link that will bring me to a news site that is tone deaf enough to employ Souhan. I hope your advertisers understand.

Sincerely,
A former Tribune and Star paperboy (back when they were separate)

Souhan has to write his columns the ways he does just to make them long enough for print. He is to lazy to come up with enough substance to write a good piece without backhanded compliments.

Copy paste

There the University of Minnesota goes again, throwing money at the football program.

The Gophers have thrown money at fired coaches. They’ve thrown money at failed hiring processes that left them with their fourth or fifth choice last time around.

They threw money at Jerry Kill when he asked for a raise before he had won a Big Ten game. They threw money at the supposed problem that was featuring a mediocre team from the University of North Carolina on the nonconference schedule. The check to buy out of that game was latticed with zeros.

Locals call Minnesota “The U” not to denote “University,’’ but because you, the students and taxpayers, wind up paying for a lot of wasteful spending.

Now the U is at it again, throwing money at the football program.

This time, the University is on target.

The athletic department is paying defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys a bonus for working as the acting head football coach while Jerry Kill is on medical leave.

Claeys is more deserving of a raise today than Kill was in 2011.

Claeys is a more worthy investment than escaping a nonconference game against a mediocre team.

He has staved off disaster. If this were a movie, he’d be destroying an asteroid hurtling toward earth while exchanging awkward dialogue with Bruce Willis.

A month ago, Jerry Kill could not make the flight to Michigan. Without him, and perhaps because of the shock of his absence, the Gophers lost to the mediocre Wolverines, 42-13.

The Gophers headed into their bye week not knowing whether Kill would coach again this season, or whether the team would win again this season, or whether Kill would ever coach again. In Kill’s stead, Claeys the team’s defensive coordinator, would run the team on game days, and offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover would operate with more independence.

In two games since, with Kill watching from the coaches’ booth, the Gophers have beaten Northwestern and Nebraska.

They beat Northwestern because of Claeys’ calm demeanor and savvy in-game decisions. They beat Nebraska because of Claeys’ calm demeanor and decisions, and because Limegrover unleashed the most intelligently designed and executed offensive game plan the Gophers have seen since Tom Moore and Tony Dungy wore maroon.

Kill’s strength is building and running a college football program. He is the stereotypical Type A leader who lets you see him sweat. That is the conventional wisdom regarding Kill, and it appears to be true.

The past two weeks might have taught us more about Kill. We should have given him more credit for the staff he built, and maybe we should have given him less credit for his sideline work.

Kill tends to become frenzied during games, which may explain some of his questionable in-game decisions since he arrived at Minnesota. With Claeys running the team during games, the sideline has been a calmer, more rational place, and the in-game coaching has improved.

Before the past few weeks, it would have been fair to question whether Claeys and Limegrover had stayed with Kill because of loyalty, or because they couldn’t find better jobs. At this point, both appear to be better coaches when given more responsibility. That speaks well of them as coaches and Kill loyalists.

Kill raved about three of his assistants in particular when he arrived: Claeys, Limegrover, and strength coach Eric Klein. Now we know this wasn’t just self-congratulatory spin. Claeys and Limegrover have distinguished themselves in Kill’s absence, and Klein’s work has been evident as the Gophers have manhandled two Big Ten teams that have been ranked in the top 25 this season.

Did anyone ever forsee a day when Gophers quarterbacks would be more physical than Nebraska linemen? That day arrived last weekend.

Kill might want to supplement the cash bonuses that Claeys is receiving. He might want to bake him a bundt cake, or upgrade his parking spot. If Claeys had not calmly and adroitly managed this crisis, Kill might be heading for a postseason meeting at which the University nudged him toward a career change.

Instead, Kill is receiving praise for building a program that can withstand his absence.

If the Gophers were 0-4 in the Big Ten, the season would be a disaster and Kill’s career might be nearing an end. Thanks to Claeys and the other Gophers assistants, Kill looks, at least for the moment, like a wise builder of programs, one who will be given every opportunity by his bosses to keep his job.

Bake a cake for those assistants, Jerry. Or at least take them to Stub & Herb’s.

I thought Souhan said Jerry had to go? Now he says to bake a cake?

I stick to my word - Souhan needs to go. Worst writer in the Twin Cities.

I thought Souhan said Jerry had to go? Now he says to bake a cake?

I stick to my word - Souhan needs to go. Worst writer in the Twin Cities.

Souhan has a right to his mostly simplistic and even more so incorrect opinions. Even when he was attempting to write something positive about Coach Kill, he managed to make it sound like a slap to the face.

Unfortunately, neither you, nor I will get what we want and that's a media market sans Jim Souhan.

I will not click that link. I refuse to click on any link that will bring me to a news site that is tone deaf enough to employ Souhan. I hope your advertisers understand.

Sincerely,

I, too, have avoided clicking any link to that place. Too bad, since there are things written that I would probably find interesting. Mr. Souhan apparently has continued to opine about this subject despite "the harshest blowback" of his career for his initial column. I'm inclined to agree with his buddy Mr. Kravitz that the Tribune is run by "gutless" editor and "invertebrate" publisher. I wonder why they don't just ask him to write about anything but this topic.

I just delved a little into Kravitz, since the Souhan support article mentioned a piece he wrote called "Tony Dungy as Hypocrite." Since Dungy, of course is a former Gopher, I wondered if there was a connection. I found much critical commentary about Kravitz's ethics. It appears these two are similar in their repulsive perspectives. I'm all for supporting any campaign that could lead to their dismissals.

Locals call Minnesota “The U” not to denote “University,’’ but because you, the students and taxpayers, wind up paying for a lot of wasteful spending.

No, no they don't. That's just you Souhan. The team is winning, and fans are rallying behind the team and behind Kill. I bet that really stings. You thought people were going to line up behind you with pitchforks and torches, and what do you get instead? You get the Gophers winning, and support for Kill higher than ever. That must <u>burn</u>. And of course, the tax payer didn't pay for the UNC buyout, but that fact doesn't fit into your narrative, does it.

Souhan had three "points" in his original article on the subject:

1) Kill's seizures were harmful to the team and would cause the season to be a disaster. The Gophers are 6-2, Souhan's been shown to be wrong.

2) Coaching is bad for Kill's health. Souhan isn't a doctor and isn't Kill's doctor, so this "point" isn't worth a thing.

3) People don't like seeing people have seizures. This one is stupid and offensive, and was really what got him in the most hot water, as it angered a lot of people who didn't pay much attention to the Gophers.

He wants to blame Kill's absence from the Michigan game for the Michigan loss, but credit the wins against NorthWestern and Nebraska to kill being absent? Souhan is talking out of both sides of his face. Make up your mind. The Michigan loss was a blowout, yes, but it was a road loss to Michigan. The Wolverines are 6-1 and ranked #23, so they aren't quite as mediocre as Souhan asserts.

He wants to use Kill's assistants as a tool to attack Kill, but of course, he has to credit Kill with assembling this staff, even Souhan can't avoid that. He wants to create an illusion of a wedge between Kill and his staff that just isn't there.

It's like Souhan is daring the Star Tribune to fire him. Souhan has ample opportunity to eat crow, but chooses instead to double down. Souhan just doesn't have anything to say that is worth reading. If they canned him, they would be flooded with resumes, there would be no shortage of better writers eager to take his place.

I'd have to say everyone should click all over this souhan character's pieces on anything to do with my Golden Gopher Football team during this 2013 season. His initial takes on Coach Kill's situation did MORE to bring the public to support my Golden Gopher Football Program than ANY amount of advertising by the U of M for my Golden Gopher Football Program could have possibly done. Prexy K should beg this souhan character to continue writing his nonsense of going after Coach Kill because of his medical condition. Prexy K has been STRONG and EMPHATIC in his support for Coach Kill. Outside of the panic on this board about what souhan had to say, out on Main Street around the state...and the region and anywhere else that the topc of epilepsy is relevant (That means EVERYWHERE) common, every day people are talking about their admiration for Coach Kill and their compassion for him AND their admiration for the fact that the leadership (Prexy K and our new Norwood AND the Staff that Coach Kill has assembled and kept together) realize that Coach Kill is doing a remarkable job and because his excellent staff has all bases covered. The strength of Coach Kill is embodied within this Staff and their remarkable ability to CARRY OUT duties and CARRY ON with game planning, coaching, and going about the business of competing in Conference Play.

I say: thank you souhan for unwittingly presenting an attack on Coach Kill and my U of M Golden Gopher Football Program at EXACTLY the time that the primary and central characters of the team are rising to the occasion and are making the general public of the state of Minnesota MORE aware of Golden Gopher Football...in a positive light... than I have seen in a very long time.

So: thanks to souhan for his HORRIBLE takes on the situation our GOLDEN GOPHER FOOTBALL FAMILY is dealing so very well with during this 2013 season. He has presented a negative contrast for the STRONG response to the situation of Coach Kill, His staff, the players on our team AND the administrators at the University of Minnesota. Yes, I have been very critical of the administrators at the U of M for MANY things in the past. However, souhan has given the Administrators at the U a spotlighted stage in the publics' eye to really step up and DO THE RIGHT THINGS! And the Staff has shone too...and directed the spotlight exactly where it belongs: on the players who make up our Golden Gopher Football Team!

I don't know how many more games our Gophers will win this season. They already have carried on their mission from last season and have grown, improved and built on the foundation that has been built by Coach Kill, his staff, all the players, the administrators and the loyal fan base. There is much more work to do...but...the work...the progress...each win in the Conference makes the U of M a more competitive Program.

And, with all of his misguided exercises in providing a column, souhan has made our University of Minnesota look better and better and better in the eyes of the common, average, ordinary citizens of the state of Minnesota. The U of M could not have PAID this souhan character enough to be the "truly bad guy..." with all the "stereotypical biases about the human condition in which folks ALL across the country rise above challenges, conditions and health issues. souhan sees the problems....OTHERS have the fight, the courage, the drive, the strength to carry on...to find ways to get the job done...to think outside souhan's narrow boxes and need to say"start all over, yet again, because this is just too tough to figure out..." We LOVE a fighter and we see right through a quitter like souhan.

I am very proud of Coach Kill, his staff, all the players, the fans, and especially the Administrators who are willing to celebrate the human condition and the way people find to carry on and even THRIVE when there are a few challenges and detours challenge an individual or an organization. Isn't it INCREDIBLE to watch great team work and organization, courage, loyalty effort emerge to pave the way for new successes. New stars and leaders are emerging as we watch this story unfold.

This one's for Prexy K and our new Norwood for not flinching, for being public with their support and doing the RIGHT things! We can all be very proud of OUR U of M and OUR Golden Gopher Football Program!

A character like souhan can NEVER defeat our Coach...his Staff...our players...our administrators with his less than human attitudes and columns. No...he just is NOT capable of that. We are witnessing the human will...the human spirit...the will to carry on prevail here. And, isn't it really SOMETHING when ever we get to see the human spirit function in such a public way. But there are SO many folks with challenges out there doing amazing things every day that we never hear about. It has GOT to make you believe that the human spirit is far mightier than the dinky little attempts of the press as is demonstrated by souhan's columns pertaining to this situation. There IS more than one way to get the job done well, souhan. And NEVER forget that as you write new columns.

Beat Indiana!

And, by the way...thanks souhan. You have really helped our University of Minnesota to SHINE!

No student tuition, fees or taxpayer dollars go toward paying for University coach's salaries dumbass. Do some research.

Sincerely,

+1. Not only will I not click on a Souhan article, but I now refuse to click on their entire news site at all because they still employ that shameful, lazy writer. Is he the only person in America rooting against Kill?!

RodentRampage covers it pretty well. My thoughts exactly.

No student tuition, fees or taxpayer dollars go toward paying for University coach's salaries dumbass. Do some research.

I don't think Souhan cares about what is true. It simply suited his agenda, so he used it. Even when the athletics department gets some money from U funds, it's just parking revenue, revenue that wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for athletics events.

The Star Tribune did change one of his headlines. There was an article about Kill "keeping his word", but when the article went to print, the title was changed. Kill hadn't promised what Souhan alleged he had promised. Souhan wanted to promote the idea that Kill had promised that if he had any more seizures that he would resign, but that's not quite what he promised. Souhan's headline, which essentially accused Kill of being a liar if he didn't resign appears to have been too much for the editors.

that article was complete rubbish - this guy is a complete tool

...Thanks souhan.

Well done! The only thing I disagree with is clicking on the site. Doesn't it seem the entire program is better off since we have this villain? It seems our "cause" is even bigger than just football games because of him. This is way more fun for me than I'd be having as a fan of Alabama and being expected to win. Wouldn't it be awesome if the team could keep winning as underdogs? I'm enjoying this football season as much as any I can remember.

Backhanded compliment 100%. This way he gets to save face because he was still right about Coach Kill having to step back/down, and he gets to join in on the popular sentiment regarding Gopher football right now.
I heard him on the radio on a Sunday morning after the Gophers lost to Michigan and he said the program was an absolute joke and the only game they might win this year was against Illinois (huh?).

I really hope the Strib will have Reusse and Souhan retire soon. Fill the positions with guys that want to dig in and cover the team a bit. What about a story about Thieran Cockran from someone like Souhan, or David Cobb...? Spend some time actually covering the players and being around the team. I know that is Christenson's job as the beat writer, but the columnists can also write some human interest stories about the players.

They threw money at Jerry Kill when he asked for a raise before he had won a Big Ten game.

Did Kill really ask for a raise in 2011? That doesn't seem like his style.

Don't click on anything Strib related. I haven't done it for a couple of months and don't miss it a bit. If I were Joe C over at the Strib, I'd be pissed at my bosses that they keep Soupcan around. Soupcan is costing everyone over there even Fatrick who I haven't clicked on in YEARS!

I appreciate those who copy and paste articles onto this site to keep others from clicking on them.

Go Gophers!

Leave it to Souhan to find a way to insult Kill after the Gophers beat Nebraska for the first time in over a half a century.

I think it is clear that Souhan is now in a place where he is getting proved wrong and being made to look foolish by Kill, so he's doing all he can to tarnish Kill's image.

Leave it to Souhan to find a way to insult Kill after the Gophers beat Nebraska for the first time in over a half a century.

I think it is clear that Souhan is now in a place where he is getting proved wrong and being made to look foolish by Kill, so he's doing all he can to tarnish Kill's image.

I thought this too. he can't just say that it was a good win and things. He has to provide snark, back handed compliments and take pot shots at the outset of the article. His life must suck when he needs to keep doing this to stroke his ego or whatever.

But, hey, at least Jim is still fit. I mean like, really fit.

At this point, the die is cast with Souhan. He rightfully got called out for being a ******-bag in his "Kill must go" column and now everything else from here, even half-hearted attempts at compliments, are an effort to spin this in his favor. The funny thing is, he's been proven to be a fool on multiple occasions, and yet he still has a huge ego when it comes to his viewpoints. Hard to come back from both being arrogant and a fool all at the same time.

I may be wrong, but, it was my impression that Prexy K extended Coach Kill's contract when he started to hear just what terrible shape the Football Program was in following the Brewster era. I believe that Prexy K realized that this situation was more challenging than he could have imagined.

Souhan is irrelevant. The Minnesota players and the coaching staff are way above his level, especially in terms of talent and integrity. They are showing him up. He doesn't like this. I suppose he resents that as a writer he has access, yet lacks the ability to make the correct critical judgements about players and coaches. His nasty devisive personality gets in the way of what he should write. He can't even appologize when he's asked.

Gopher Warrior

I'm rooting FOR Jerry Kill, the man. Which means I don't think he should be on the sidelines as acting head coach for the Gophers.

Stage will be set fairly well if Claeys continues as "game day" head coach for the rest of the season and they do well. Reclass Kill to a special assistant, Claeys is HC and forward we go.

Otherwise we're dealing with the inevitable.

I get Souhan's point, this article is an attempt to say Claeys deserves much of the credit, which he does, I don't think any Gopher fan wouldn't agree with that. He should have just written it that way and not try to discredit Kill though, saying he should now become a baker instead of coaching.

I do agree with one Souhan point here though, that the in game decision making has been better with Claeys in charge. The great unknown though is how much Kill has been communicating from the booth so Souhan shouldn't be automatically giving the credit to Claeys because we don't know how much input Kill has actually had, at least for the NW and NEB games.

Top Bottom