Frank Ragow, jeff jomes both move up to 4 stars on ESPN

Do you ever go back and read any of your posts? I dont think i have seen anyone on this board that is more full of himself. You try so hard to come off as so intelligent. Not working.

When people say things like "X offer got him up to 4 stars or 5 stars", the implication is that offers weigh so heavily to the detriment of everything else that it is effectively the sole determinant.

That's not ridiculous hyperbole or anything.

They evaluated Kendrick [sic] Brewster? Really? Where is the alternate Rivals where you see this analysis? The Rivals I see shows Brewster with no evaluation. http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Kendrik-Brewster-104904 Perhaps you can see some other super-secret Rivals that none of the rest of us can?

The rest of the players you mentioned all have Division I offers. So which is it? Do they give early evaluations to players who are Division I prospects (like Gordon, Johnson, and Woods) or do they "barely know who to evaluate until a kid receives BCS offers"? Which one? It can't be both. You can't even keep your own story straight within the same post. You need to refine your troll game.

I noticed Frank retweets a lot of Arkansas tweets, wouldn't shock me if he ends up playing for Bert.
Why would a kid from from Minnesota want to play in a state where the state song is the dueling banjos music from Deliverance. And play for bert enema who has no chance to win in the SEC.

Do you ever go back and read any of your posts? I dont think i have seen anyone on this board that is more full of himself. You try so hard to come off as so intelligent. Not working.

At least I'm not a troll.

Simply because a recruit is bumped in star ranking after receiving a high offer is not an indication that star rankings are decided based upon offers. Conclusions based solely on such is poor logic.

It simply could be the services identify who to evaluate based on whether they've received offers or not. A good business is going to focus on what their customers focus on. Thus, if Alabama or Notre Dame and like offer a kid, well, they provide the most subscribers, so they are going to give the kid an evaluation or maybe it may warrant a reevaluation.

Of course that doesn't mean they are not determined by offer lists either. It's simply is proof of nothing.

Just to be clear: there is a lot of gray area as far as a ranking is concerned. Sometimes Bama kids end up with 2 or 3 stars. Sometimes Minnesota kids end up with 4. The ranking is based on numerous factors, some objective and some subjective. Most of us are simply saying that offer lists can factor somewhat into the equation.

Only one person is making the absolute grand statement that offers lists play no bearing whatsoever on the ranking that any football recruit receives.

Why would a kid from from Minnesota want to play in a state where the state song is the dueling banjos music from Deliverance. And play for bert enema who has no chance to win in the SEC.

Well he is visiting there this weekend, and if you have seen his twitter he seems to really like Arkansas. That being said I have no idea why anyone would want to play for that dbag or live in Arkansas for 4 years of their young life.

I certainly hope we get Jones but if he ends up with academic issues or goes elsewhere I kinda think that is what it is. Ragnow is the bellweather of this class. We need to get thim into the fold.

Just to be clear: there is a lot of gray area as far as a ranking is concerned. Sometimes Bama kids end up with 2 or 3 stars. Sometimes Minnesota kids end up with 4. The ranking is based on numerous factors, some objective and some subjective. Most of us are simply saying that offer lists can factor somewhat into the equation.

Only one person is making the absolute grand statement that offers lists play no bearing whatsoever on the ranking that any football recruit receives.

I have little doubt that one person you're referring to has a ragged-eared US News And World Report College Ranking Edition that he used to select his institution of higher learning and probably proudly boasts that his school was ranked 3 spots ahead of "X" institution. That guy.

Can obsession with ill-defined, misleading, and in some cases rigged rankings in education and sports be healthy, or lead to feelings of self-loathing and doubt (your average gopher fan on GH)? I guess the ranking process gives us something to argue about...

Whatever happened to our Rivals 5.9 4* Hayo Carpenter? Same numbers as Jeff Jones. How did the wise men derive that ranking?

I have little doubt that one person you're referring to has a ragged-eared US News And World Report College Ranking Edition that he used to select his institution of higher learning and probably proudly boasts that his school was ranked 3 spots ahead of "X" institution. That guy.

If you must know, I applied to 3 universities (University of Minnesota, Harvard University, and Brown University), was accepted to all 3, and after much hand-wringing, chose to attend the University of Minnesota over Harvard University so that I could: a. be within driving distance of my family; b. enjoy the experience of a large public school after graduating in a high school class of 12; and c. continue to sate my lifelong obsession with the Vikings and Twins.

Were I obsessed with school rankings, why would I attend Minnesota instead of Harvard? Also, where have I ever stated or implied that I'm obsessed with the rankings? Correcting misconceptions about the methodology in no way states or implies that I am obsessed about the rankings themselves, and further neither states nor implies that I think the rankings are infallible. Unlike many Gophers fans here, I realize that the rankings are a good (but not exact) predictor of future win-loss records. So yes, I do follow them, because I want the Gophers to do better in them which will make it more likely that they'll win in the future. I'm sorry if that offends you.

Can obsession with ill-defined, misleading, and in some cases rigged rankings in education and sports be healthy, or lead to feelings of self-loathing and doubt (your average gopher fan on GH)? I guess the ranking process gives us something to argue about...

Whatever happened to our Rivals 5.9 4* Hayo Carpenter? Same numbers as Jeff Jones. How did the wise men derive that ranking?

Gee...how did you come up with your user name?

Boo-hoo.

Perhaps you should direct your ire instead at the coterie of malcontents who object vociferously every time I dare to make correct and accurate statements on this Gopher football-themed message board.

Please count me among the coterie!

From an ESPN article on recruiting:
If you want an interesting case of the difference between the power names versus the rest, consider this case, with a little-known DE/TE out of British Columbia, Trey Henderson. Two years ago, Henderson was a rising two-star player out of Canada. (Most ratings systems go up to five stars, the level that perhaps 20-30 total players can reach out of hundreds.) He'd verbally committed to Washington State in the fall and planned to sign with the Cougs until a week before Signing Day. That was when USC learned that one of their own verbal commitments, a player from Tennessee, had decided to stay home. Next thing you know, Henderson is on a plane to Los Angeles. After his weekend trip, he went with the Trojans.

A few days later, Scout.com had elevated Henderson's status to three stars while his ranking at the position of TE shot up nearly thirty places. When he was merely a WSU recruit, Henderson was ranked in the 60's. Now a Trojan, he was upped to a respectable 43. The reasoning was obvious. If USC, a program that Pete Carroll likes to acknowledge only recruits blue chip caliber kids if they're out of state, thought Henderson was worth a scholarship…then he must be that good.

Essentially, it matters to the rankings services not just if a kid is good, but if Saban, Kiffin, Carroll, Stoops or some other power program agrees.

(Should be noted: if a USC rep called your ratings service and told you, "This kid is going to be special," wouldn't you take another look? Wouldn't you find some tape? If a program routinely sends a handful of their best into the first round of the NFL Draft each year, that makes a difference. Would you trust your own video, sometimes just a mish-mashed 10 minutes of highlights often spliced together by a high school coach … or do you trust the word of a program who so rarely misses? Bottom line: who recruits a kid matters in terms of where he's ranked. A lot.)

Dude, why can't you be the bigger man and just let sh!t go. You know there's a gray area in life, right?

So, now we have a Gopher coach (that dpod doesn't care what his thoughts are) and ESPN refuting dpod. But, I'm sure he'll twist it.

Top Bottom