Frank Ragow, jeff jomes both move up to 4 stars on ESPN

die hard gopher

Reaction score
It's about time raknow moved up to a 4 star, he has had so may good offers for so long, I think the Ohio State offer pushed over the edge and he is now barley a 4 star on that site, Jeff got moved to 181 on espn who previously had him as a 3 star, on a side note JC hausenauer is right below Jeff Jones at 188 on espn which makes me regret not getting him thatch more, if we had JC, Ragnow,and Connor Mayes(who is a 4 star on scout) all blocking for Jeff Jones we would lead the big ten in rushing and take over Wisconsin's role as the dominant power run team in the big ten

It's about time raknow moved up to a 4 star, he has had so may good offers for so long, I think the Ohio State offer pushed over the edge and he is now barley a 4 star on that site, Jeff got moved to 181 on espn who previously had him as a 3 star, on a side note JC hausenauer is right below Jeff Jones at 188 on espn which makes me regret not getting him thatch more, if we had JC, Ragnow,and Connor Mayes(who is a 4 star on scout) all blocking for Jeff Jones we would lead the big ten in rushing and take over Wisconsin's role as the dominant power run team in the big ten

Would have been wonderful to have all those guys but obviously JC is gone and I don't feel good about Ragnow. But, let's slow down on that last sentence. It's not as if Wisconsin has stopped recruiting dominant OL and RBs either. After my post the other day I started looking into their recruiting and they're still in play for Joe Mixon (#1 APB in the country) and have signed a number of top OL as well. They're going to be a force but we're getting closer, I can feel it.

It's hard enough to compete with OSU, but when a local recruit like Hassenaeur pulls an Alabama offer, it's nearly impossible to keep him. To be honest, while he would be nice to have, I am fine with him going with Mayes on board. Would love to see home town Jones stay in-state and be a productive college back.

Right now, we're not on the same recruiting level as WI. They will pull a top-25 class this year. They have also been able to keep the in-state kids at home - something we have struggled with. The difference really is that they have been a winning program the last five years and we have not. Consistently winning will be what gets us higher level recruits.

It's about time raknow moved up to a 4 star, he has had so may good offers for so long, I think the Ohio State offer pushed over the edge and he is now barley a 4 star on that site

They don't rate players based on offers.

Ragnow is heading to Arkansas this weekend for an official visit.

Would have been wonderful to have all those guys but obviously JC is gone and I don't feel good about Ragnow. But, let's slow down on that last sentence. It's not as if Wisconsin has stopped recruiting dominant OL and RBs either. After my post the other day I started looking into their recruiting and they're still in play for Joe Mixon (#1 APB in the country) and have signed a number of top OL as well. They're going to be a force but we're getting closer, I can feel it.

Hasn't Jones already committed to Minnesota?

Keeping Jones and landing Ragnow would be huge.

Yes they do, and a Gopher assistant coach, I forget which one, was quoted as saying this exact thing over the summer in an article that was referenced on this board. It was either Claeys or Sawvel I believe who said it. I'll trust an actual college football coach who is out there recruiting over a know-it-all like yourself.

I noticed Frank retweets a lot of Arkansas tweets, wouldn't shock me if he ends up playing for Bert.

I found the article, and Jay Sawvel disagrees with you. And like I said, I'll take his word over yours. Here's his direct quote...

“If Eric Murray committed to Minnesota, and then got offered by Georgia, he would have gotten another star or two,” Sawvel said. “And it wouldn’t have been because he changed as a player. It would have been because somebody else said he was pretty good, too. That’s why you make your own evaluation.”

Source = Minneapolis Star Tribune, August 17th, 2013

I found the article, and Jay Sawvel disagrees with you. And like I said, I'll take his word over yours. Here's his direct quote...

“If Eric Murray committed to Minnesota, and then got offered by Georgia, he would have gotten another star or two,” Sawvel said. “And it wouldn’t have been because he changed as a player. It would have been because somebody else said he was pretty good, too. That’s why you make your own evaluation.”

Source = Minneapolis Star Tribune, August 17th, 2013

I don't care what Jay Sawvel says. He's a coach, and it's in his own best interest to make it seem like he found a 4-star recruit who only didn't have that rating due to lack of offers. Eric Murray being a solid player now doesn't change the fact that he was a 2-star recruit. He deserved that rating, and it wasn't due to lack of offers. People think that being a 2-star recruit automatically means that they're going to be a 2-star player, or that a 5-star recruit automatically means they'll be a 5-star player. That is not the case. People are confusing rating prospects with rating players.

Think I'm being a "know it all" or not, I don't care. They don't rate recruits on the basis of offers. Period. I have provided plenty of evidence in the past to dismiss this falsehood. Gophers fans want to believe it because the Gophers don't recruit very well according to Rivals rankings.

I don't care what Jay Sawvel says. He's a coach, and it's in his own best interest to make it seem like he found a 4-star recruit who only didn't have that rating due to lack of offers. Eric Murray being a solid player now doesn't change the fact that he was a 2-star recruit. He deserved that rating, and it wasn't due to lack of offers.

Think I'm being a "know it all" or not, I don't care. They don't rate recruits on the basis of offers. Period. I have provided plenty of evidence in the past to dismiss this falsehood. Gophers fans want to believe it because the Gophers don't recruit very well according to Rivals rankings.

You're right, you're not a know-it-all. You just think you know more about recruiting than an actual football coach who does this for a living. And you have never proven anything about this. You've been proven wrong by an expert in this field. Stop digging your hole.

Well, in years past, when a 4 star received an offer of Minnesota, he dropped to a 3 star. HMMMMMMM.......

I don't care what Jay Sawvel says. He's a coach, and it's in his own best interest to make it seem like he found a 4-star recruit who only didn't have that rating due to lack of offers. Eric Murray being a solid player now doesn't change the fact that he was a 2-star recruit. He deserved that rating, and it wasn't due to lack of offers. People think that being a 2-star recruit automatically means that they're going to be a 2-star player, or that a 5-star recruit automatically means they'll be a 5-star player. That is not the case. People are confusing rating prospects with rating players.

What percentage of the rating equation includes offers?

You're right, you're not a know-it-all. You just think you know more about recruiting than an actual football coach who does this for a living. And you have never proven anything about this. You've been proven wrong by an expert in this field. Stop digging your hole.

Wrong. I've never stated or implied any such thing. I know far, far less than him about recruiting. However, I guarantee I know far more than him about how recruiting services assign rankings. He doesn't need to know about that, nor should he, nor should he spend the time researching it. He's an expert at recruiting, not an expert in how recruiting services assign rankings.

Further, even if he were an expert in how recruiting services assign rankings (he's not), his opinion on the subject is not infallible. I've proven in the past plenty of times how it doesn't happen. Go look it up for yourself.

I'm not saying that Jay is wrong. All I will say, is that if rankings are based on offers, then I could do it.

Brandon Lingen is example 1a to disprove Dpo's theory.

3 weeks ago he wasn't ranked and no one at Rivals knew who he was. Immediately following the Gopher offer and his commitment, he became a 3-star recruit.

Yet Dpo insists that offers have no bearing on the number of stars a recruit receives.

It's hard enough to compete with OSU, but when a local recruit like Hassenaeur pulls an Alabama offer, it's nearly impossible to keep him. To be honest, while he would be nice to have, I am fine with him going with Mayes on board. Would love to see home town Jones stay in-state and be a productive college back.

Right now, we're not on the same recruiting level as WI. They will pull a top-25 class this year. They have also been able to keep the in-state kids at home - something we have struggled with. The difference really is that they have been a winning program the last five years and we have not. Consistently winning will be what gets us higher level recruits.

And better recruits get us more winning. UW was a program below us at one time. What allowed them to pass us? What is true in Madison that's not true in Minneapolis?

Brandon Lingen is example 1a to disprove Dpo's theory.

3 weeks ago he wasn't ranked and no one at Rivals knew who he was. Immediately following the Gopher offer and his commitment, he became a 3-star recruit.

Yet Dpo insists that offers have no bearing on the number of stars a recruit receives.

No stars means that they haven't been evaluated. They evaluated him and declared him a 3-star prospect. In order for your comment to make any sense, he would've been a 2-star and then bumped up to 3 after the Gopher offer.

Keep trying.

No stars means that they haven't been evaluated. They evaluated him and declared him a 3-star prospect. In order for your comment to make any sense, he would've been a 2-star and then bumped up to 3 after the Gopher offer.

Keep trying.

And why wasn't he evaluated?

I'm not saying that Jay is wrong. All I will say, is that if rankings are based on offers, then I could do it.

Who here said that's all they take into account? No one. But it's a part of the equation.

Top Bottom