All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

Zahui with 11 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 blocks in a win tonight versus Kansas. Banham and Riche score 26 and 20 respectively.

The big Swede is a " player ". Going too have to attend a couple of Big Ten games this year.

First TV game:

Thursday Dec 5 vs Miami

Big Ten/ACC challenge - BTN at The Barn

I went to the game on Sunday vs Navy.

The Gophers only dressed 9 players, and only 6 got significant playing time.

The minutes went like this:

Noga - 40 (but sat out one whistle)
Mullaney - 39
Banham - 38
Zahui (pronounced Zowie) - 29
Riche - 27
Hirt - 24
Hedstrom - 3
McDaniel - one whistle

Bailey is still recovering from something and didn't dress. Once she returns, I envision a seven player rotation with the 3 frontcourt players splitting their 80 minutes pretty evenly, and Bailey getting around 20 minutes and the other 3 splitting the other 100.

Gophers trash Loyola (IL) 80-36 tonight. Ramblers are coached by Sheryl Swoopes now. Minutes were evenly distributed between the 9 with Bailey still out. I don't even believe she was at the game due to illness. Can't risk it spreading with Hawaii trip this weekend and Bailey is not going to Hawaii.

Gophers women's basketball: U advances at Rainbow Showdown

"HONOLULU -- Rachel Banham scored a season-high 36 points as the University of Minnesota women's basketball team defeated Chattanooga 63-62 on Friday night in the Waikiki Beach Marriott Rainbow Wahine Showdown."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_24627549/u-advances-at-rainbow-showdown

20130207__130207_Banham,%20Rachel-c.jpg

MN has a significant size advantage over Hawaii and Borton can't figure out how to pass the ball to her posts. Very sad to watch.

Hawaii hits a three with no time left to send the game into OT.

That may be the worst coaching job I have ever seen. Hawaii wins in OT 77-71 without a player over 6-0 tall.

Bantam hits an NBA-range contested three with 4 seconds left in the game to break the tie in what seems like a game winnerand Banham looked to be a game-winner again. But Hawaii hits a buzzer-beating three, forces overtime, and wins easily in overtime.

Hawaii wins in OT. Lucky line-drive, banked-in three by Hawaii to tie it with no time left in regulation. Unreal.

Banham needs some help out there. Can't do it all herself, especially in the Big Ten.

Banham finished with 24 pts. Very impressive yet again. But Borton continues to do a horrendous job with a talented team. Her offensive scheme is more stagnant than Tubby's. Teague should show her the door; it's long overdue.

What a waste. We have a player like Banham and can't get two or three decent players around her. That's all we would need to compete at a high level in the Big Ten. My God, just a travesty.

IMO, there is enough talent there to compete. The inconsistent play under Borton is what is so frustrating. Now Riche, who was very good last year, is having her troubles. Less than 20 minutes against Hawaii? Another thing that happens under this coach. Seniors, instead of shining, play like they are tired of the whole routine and can't wait to get out of there (Fox, Ellis-Milan, Buford).

This team should be good enough to finally get back to the tournament. What gives me hope is that Norwood proved with Tubby that isn't good enough to keep your job when the program has stagnated.

IMO, there is enough talent there to compete. The inconsistent play under Borton is what is so frustrating. Now Riche, who was very good last year, is having her troubles. Less than 20 minutes against Hawaii? Another thing that happens under this coach. Seniors, instead of shining, play like they are tired of the whole routine and can't wait to get out of there (Fox, Ellis-Milan, Buford).

This team should be good enough to finally get back to the tournament. What gives me hope is that Norwood proved with Tubby that isn't good enough to keep your job when the program has stagnated.

I'm not sure the timing allows a change. The Gophers have an incoming recruiting class of 5 players. Carlie Wagner is a top 100 player in most all the rankings. ESPN at 54 in the country. Bluestar has her at #100 and Grace Coughlin at #89. Josie Buckingham at 6-5 is not in the ESPN database.
She is listed as the 172 best overall on bluestar. Tory Jacobs #179. Rangie Bessard at #259. On ESPN the three others included are ranked above Coughlin.

So, While not likely anyone's TOP 10 recruiting class...it is a significant class especially when compared to some recent past efforts. Will administration blow that up or wait another year and see?

Borton isn't going anywhere, which is disappointing. The team has consistently been average to below for several years now. She supposedly has a nice recruiting class coming in next year, but I've gotten to the point of "I'll believe it when I see it on the court" when it comes to Borton and her recruits. Nevertheless, I'm sure Teague will give her the chance to coach next year's freshmen for at least another year.

If this year's team under-performs, I wouldn't be surprised if New Norwood* pulls the plug.

* I just had to try that.:cool02:

Same problem as last year. Lady Gophers don't play defense. You don't give up 70 plus points against the Rainbows
who don't have a player over 6 feet.

If this year's team under-performs, I wouldn't be surprised if New Norwood* pulls the plug.

* I just had to try that.:cool02:

Be careful, be very, very careful, 19, or wren will file charges against you for trademark infringements.

First TV game tomorrow - Thursday.

VS Miami 8 PM BTN

Top Bottom