All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

station19

Reaction score
Will Banham have some help this year?

How about some updates from those that follow the women closely.

Will Banham have some help this year?

How about some updates from those that follow the women closely.

As always, hopeful, although Borton makes it harder and harder each year. If they're going to make a move and actually get into the tourney this year, someone else is going to have to develop to help out Banham and Riche, who's actually pretty good and always fun to watch. Mullaney and Bailey played well at times last year as freshmen but were inconsistent. I'd hope that Hirt would be more of a factor, but coming off a couple of knee injuries, she really wasn't. At one time, she was very highly regarded and definitely has a scorer's mentality. Big question is how the center from Sweden will be, Zahui (?). Looks imposing at 6' 5". Have no idea if she is athletic enough. So there are some possibilities, but who knows?

Assuming two freshmen guards aren't going to do much after Borton whiffed on one of the best senior classes ever in Minnesota. Riche is on crutches last I read but nothing serious, supposedly, and Mullaney might still be sidelined with concussion issues.

Interesting, that Borton now has a blog so young Richard already might be influencing Pam who isn't exactly great at the PR side of coaching either. I'd guess this is the year her team has to make some noise or Norwood is going to pull the trigger on her. Very possible the only thing that saved her last year was that he didn't want to deal with her while getting rid of Tubby. If he had been around long enough to watch the dwindling attendance, the inconsistent play, and the lack of improvement especially among juniors and seniors, Borton would already be history.

Thanks Mulligan. I'm curious about the Swede myself.

How much is left on Borton's contract?

Is this Amelia's beat also?

They've been raving about the Swedish big girl for quite some time. If she turns out to be nothing more than a pedestrian recruit/roster filler, that wouldn't bode well for the head coach.

28 pts, 19 reb., 4 blks, 2 assts for the Swede against Winona tonight. Certainly gonna check the box score on Saturday against Moorhead.

Open at Creighton (25-8 last year) on Nov. 9, home to Charlotte (26-6) on Nov. 13.

Need Riche' back. Only 10 on the roster total.

28 pts, 19 reb., 4 blks, 2 assts for the Swede against Winona tonight. Certainly gonna check the box score on Saturday against Moorhead.

Open at Creighton (25-8 last year) on Nov. 9, home to Charlotte (26-6) on Nov. 13.

Need Riche' back. Only 10 on the roster total.

Holy crap...the Swedish Shaq!!! :)

So with Maryland coming to B1G next year do we boo Brenda Freese or cheer her?

28 pts, 19 rebounds, and 4 blocks in her first college game? We have a two-headed-monster now!

It's only Winona State but could we have the makings of the next Whalen/McCarville combo? Sure wish Borton could keep the other top in-state talent that went elsewhere to surround them.

There is no reason with two very strongposts in Zahui B. (6'5") and Riche (6'3") as a frontcourt that we shouldn't out rebound every team. I'm very hopeful that we can break into the big dance this season. :)

Freshman from Sweden stars for Gophers women in basketball exhibition

"But Zahui B. clearly stole the spotlight. She played 32 minutes, more than anyone else for Pam Borton’s team. She was 11-for-18 from the field, and 6-for-11 from the free-throw line. And she dominated the boards, getting 14 more than anyone else on either side."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/229806581.html

I am impressed by the schedule put together by the women's team this year. They host Kansas (Sweet 16), Miami (NCAA Qualifier), UCLA (NCAA 2nd round) and Auburn (WNIT Semi-finalist).

Compare that to the men's schedule.

GRRRR

I saw an interview with Coach Borton where she said she is going to have to "teach her players how to win"!
Nothing Coach has done since 2004 would indicate she knows how to win so teaching it might be difficult.

The Gopher women's program could be so very good if we had an inspirational, active coach. Pam said after the mass defection few years back that she was not going to recruit any kids that might have an attitude. That pretty much concedes she's unable to handle kids with egos and that leaves out quite a lot of quality athletes.

I think Coach Borton loves the comforts of mediocrity. JMO

Banham named preseason All-Big Ten at media day yesterday.

Preseason Coaches Team

Klarissa Bell, Sr., G, MSU
Rachel Banham, Jr., G, MINN
JORDAN HOOPER, Sr., F, NEB
MAGGIE LUCAS, Sr., G, PSU
Courtney Moses, Sr., G, PUR

Preseason Media Team

Samantha Logic, Jr., G, IOWA
RACHEL BANHAM, Jr., G, MINN
Jordan Hooper, Sr., F, NEB
MAGGIE LUCAS, Sr., G, PSU
Courtney Moses, Sr., G, PUR

Nebraska picked to win the conference followed by Penn State and Michigan State.

ESPN Predicted order of finish in Big Ten:

4. Minnesota (18-14): If any team in the Big Ten is ready for a jump, it's the Golden Gophers. Junior guard Rachel Banham is about to become a household name. If Micaella Riche improves on her solid junior year, and 6-5 redshirt freshman Amanda Zahui B. from Sweden plays like she has in the preseason, Minnesota will reach its first NCAA tournament since 2009.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...8070/women-college-basketball-big-ten-preview

Go Gophers!!

Gopher women opened the season with a win...but does anyone know why Zahui didn't play?

An NCAA violation for one game suspension. Plus is it gave Jackie Johnson a chance for more minutes. From the box score, it appears she played well. 23 turnovers though by the Gophers.

Minnesota has had 7 ESPN top 100 recruits the last two years. Borton has gotten 1 of them. She got the most important one this year in Wagner however. She needs to start feeling the heat. With the talent that comes through this state there is zero reason why we are only good once every 4-5 years.

I saw that Dahlman was averaging 20ish points over the first couple games this season. Man, a Banham/Dahlman back court with Zahui in the middle would've been interesting...

I saw that Dahlman was averaging 20ish points over the first couple games this season. Man, a Banham/Dahlman back court with Zahui in the middle would've been interesting...

Wagner IMO showed she was better than Dahlman in the state championship last season. Nia Coffey was the bigger loss.

Gophers sign 5 to NLIs:

The highly-regarded class includes forward Rangie Bessard (Rosharon, Texas/Manvel HS); center Josie Buckingham (New Richmond, Ohio/New Richmond HS); guard Grace Coughlin (Edina, Minn./Benilde-St. Margaret's School); guard/forward Tory Jacobs (Irving, Texas/MacArthur HS); and guard Carlie Wagner (New Richland, Minn./New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva HS).
Blue Star Basketball has Minnesota's signing class ranked 23rd nationally, with Coughlin ranked 89th, Wagner at No. 100, Buckingham at No. 172, Jacobs at No. 179 and Bessard at No. 260.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111313aaa.html

Only one missing is Terra Stapleton from Ohio. Surprised Blue Star has Coughlin ranked ahead of Wagner.

Home opener is tonight vs. Charlotte BTW.

Gophers beat Charlotte 90-55 tonight.
Banham finishes with 20 points in a little over one half of action for her.
Zahui B. gets 19 points, 12 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, and 2 steals tonight in her collegiate debut!

Thanks for the update, Gameday...excited for this club!

Really a good recruiting class for Pam. Wagner the real deal. I like "B " at the post position. Athletic and quick off her feet for a big gal. Have to keep her out of foul trouble. Really aggressive.

Top Bottom