I Should Have Known Better!

DL65

Reaction score
After reading Kent Youngblood's most recent report, I gave in and read the twelve posted comments. What a waste of time, and to think I lost those few minutes forever on such drivel! Their bitterness exceeds their negativity. One person seems to take delight that coach Brewster's house has reportedly depreciated significantly in value because of the economic downturn. Renegades Contrasts and Badger Trolls make for pointless reading. I should have known better! I won't make that mistake again.

Go Gophers!!

No point in reading them, DL65. Just read the info from Kent and leave.

Can you believe that post about property value? One person enjoying the fact that another person has suffered a huge loss in property value in his home. How can the writer enjoy that fact?

:cool:What can you expect from wren? And as far as the badger troll, what a douche he is. I have been posting there, but it has gotten so bad that I'm done. It's too bad, because there are some people on there who actually want to discuss relevant aspects of the team.

Then again, Kent likes to disappear for long stretches without any updates on the team or recruiting process. Definitely not the greatest reporting.

:cool:What can you expect from wren? And as far as the badger troll, what a douche he is. I have been posting there, but it has gotten so bad that I'm done. It's too bad, because there are some people on there who actually want to discuss relevant aspects of the team.

Then again, Kent likes to disappear for long stretches without any updates on the team or recruiting process. Definitely not the greatest reporting.

Someone alluded to this once before, but it seems like the attitude in the comments section diminished his desire to post. Overall I think its a lame reason to avoid giving good updates for long stretches, but it has to be frustrating if he has tried to use the comments to gain insight into what readers of the blog are thinking and instead he has to deal with that BS...much of which is directed at him. Any positive thing he says about the team gets him labeled as a kool-aid drinker (which he most certainly is not).

If I were him, I'd either disable the comments or just completely ignore them.

If I were him I'd ban a couple of the worst offenders that obviously only reduce readership. It is a commercial operation after all. Every once in a while I make the same mistake, but then i know better for at least 3-4 months until my memory fails me.

If I were him I'd ban a couple of the worst offenders that obviously only reduce readership. It is a commercial operation after all. Every once in a while I make the same mistake, but then i know better for at least 3-4 months until my memory fails me.

The problem is that with that blog, there is no username log in. You can call yourself whatever you want, and post whatevr you want. It might get removed eventually, but you could go there right now and do nothing but throw f bombs in a poast and it would be up for most of the day.

Until the trib updates that blog to unique log-ins and ip logging, there is no way to ban people.

freedom of speech

No one should ever be banned from a message board. Its called free speech and no one owns the internet, its public domain.

No one should ever be banned from a message board. Its called free speech and no one owns the internet, its public domain.

That's the great thing about America. Any idiot can say any stupid thing they want because its protected by United States law. But you are correct, it is a public domain and it is their right, so they can pretty much say anything they want, as long as the newspaper moderators think it's okay.

Having said that, some folks take the whole "freedom of speech" idea and the allowable idiocy that results a little too far imo. :p;)

lawrence 21...

...is the clown who thinks websites that charge for premium content are scum. He talks democracy out of one side of his mouth and trashes the right to engage in business for profit out of the other. Silly, stupid little boy.

Internet is public domain? Ummm, no, actually it's not. People buy domain names just like they buy real estate and they have a right to ban people from their domain for disrupting the site just like you have a right to ask someone to leave your private property for disrupting your party, your dinner, your sleep, etc.

Freedom of speech means you can post whatever you want on the internet when it is a site that YOU OWN. It does not mean anyone can come on a site that someone else owns and post whatever garbage they would like. If that was true then I should be able to go on GE's site, 3M's site, or for that matter, the STRIB site and post some crappy article (not a blog comment). Not going to happen. Do you think the STRIB publishes every letter they receive from every crackpot out there?? No, they do not and nor should they. If you want to post whatever you want you should start a blog so it can sit out there in the internet cloud and have your three friends read it.

koppco1 is correct. The 1st amendment prohibits Congress from making any laws "abridging" the freedom of speech. The StarTribune is under no such restriction. In the past, if you wanted to voice your opinion you would write a letter to the editor complete with a full name and address. I miss the days when people voiced their opinions but then stood behind them as themselves. Anonymity is a blessing and a curse.

Kent should just turn comments off.

Can you believe that post about property value? One person enjoying the fact that another person has suffered a huge loss in property value in his home. How can the writer enjoy that fact?

Yea, I read that garbage. My only question is this, what neighborhood had their prop values decrease by 50% (ie- what area does Brew live that this guy assumes his house value was cut in half)??? I'm guessing that guy doesn't know what hes talking about.

Legally, freedom of speech in the Constitution is only protected against governmental action. So if the Strib was owned by the government and they were restricting what you were saying, you would have a cause of action.

Since they aren't, they can ban you or squish anything you say like a bug.

EDIT: Beat me to the punch. Sorry for the redundancy.

Wayne Rendahl keeps popping up with his same mantra. There is something going on with him that is very disturbing. It makes me uneasy and concerned. I don't get upset with him anymore, I just cringe and worry about him. Anyone out there know him personally?

Top Bottom