2009 Schedule TV prediction

gophersfan

Reaction score
ok here is my prediction on what TV will look like for each game.

Sept. 5 at Syracuse - ESPN2

Sept. 12 Air Force - Big Ten Network

Sept. 19 California - ABC

Sept. 26 at Northwestern - Big Ten Network

Oct. 3 Wisconsin - ABC (College Gameday live from Minneapolis Minnesota)

Oct. 10 Purdue - ESPN2

Oct. 17 at Penn State - ESPN

Oct. 24 at Ohio State - ABC

Oct. 31 Michigan State - Big Ten Network

Nov. 7 Illinois - ESPN2

Nov. 14 South Dakota St. - Big Ten Network

Nov. 21 at Iowa - Big Ten Network

so here what i think our TV schedule will look like. i hoping for a College Gameday for the Badgers border battle game.

i think this is a pretty good list. would prefer to swap the networks you have listed for the syracuse and air force games. other than that i like it. nice work.

the reason i have Syracuse as a ESPN 2 game, becuase Minnesota is the road team. and the big ten network only show home games of the big ten teams, no road game.

the reason i have Syracuse as a ESPN 2 game, becuase Minnesota is the road team. and the big ten network only show home games of the big ten teams, no road game.

I never knew that, interesting.

My critiques:

@ Syracuse: While there are few games that day between major conferences, I'd say the odds are against BTN. Syracuse is typically a cellar team which hurts the chances.

Air Force: BTN seems likely, especially since they can have multiple games on depending on the viewing area.

@ Cal: Don't foresee an ABC game for this one, this weekend has many big out of conference games in store that involve B10 teams.

@NW: BTN very likely.

Wisconsin: Gameday? I wouldn't get too carried away but it will probably be a 2:30 ABC showing. There aren't too many intriguing match up's that weekend which helps this game.

Purdue: I'd guess BTN, Iowa vs. Michigan is at night and Wisconsin at Ohio State will probably be 2:30. Mich St. and Illinois would most likely get the ESPN2 slot which leaves the BTN.

@ Penn State: I'd guess ABC at 2:30, possibly ESPN at 7. It all depends on how each team is playing. That weekend doesn't have too many marquee match ups.

@ Ohio State: Probably the ESPN2 slot at 11 am because Michigan State and Iowa are at night while Penn State at Michigan will probably be ABC at 2:30. This leaves Minnesota with this time.

Michigan State: Quite likely this will be at 2:30 on ABC. Both teams should be solid next year and that weekend doesn't have anything else that is too exciting.

Illinois: This one will either be on BTN or ESPN2 at 11. Unfortunately the Penn State and Ohio State game cannot start later that 2:30 because of new B10 rules regarding night games in November. This adds another game to the BTN and it could be either Minnesota and Illinois or Iowa and NW.

SDSU: BTN without a doubt.

@Iowa: BTN at 11 because of the BIG games on this weekend.
This really helped figure it out:
www.bigtennetwork.com/sports/football/Schedule.asp?SEASON_ID=187&SPORT_ID=17

Edit:
@ Iowa is a mistake, I think that game will be 11 on BTN because of the big games which I missed, somehow.

Wisconsin: Gameday? I wouldn't get too carried away but it will probably be a 2:30 ABC showing. There aren't too many intriguing match up's that weekend which helps this game.

Other match ups that Saturday:

USC at Cal
LSU at Georgia
Florida St. at Boston College
Penn St. at Illinois
Oklahoma at Miami (FL)
Auburn at Tennessee

I'd love to see it, but I'm not counting on it.

Some additional thoughts on gophersfans post and mittens22's response...

@ Syracuse:
@ Syracuse: While there are few games that day between major conferences, I'd say the odds are against BTN. Syracuse is typically a cellar team which hurts the chances.
I think you mean Syracuse hurts our chances for ESPN2 b/c as gophersfan noted, this game can’t/won’t be broadcast on BTN. I’d agree with you if this was a home game…it has BTN written all over it. But if we’re not on the Deuce than that means this game is either ESPN or higher (highly unlikely) or is on ESPNU, Classic, or 360. I suppose ESPNU is a possibility, but I think gophersfan has nailed this one. Syracuse’s suckitude screams 11am (Central) kickoff.

Air Force
Air Force: BTN seems likely, especially since they can have multiple games on depending on the viewing area.
Agree on BTN, but I’m betting this one is a night game and gets the whole network to itself. The Big 10 is not going to schedule some another game to run on BTN at the same time…not for the TCF opener.

California
@ Cal: Don't foresee an ABC game for this one, this weekend has many big out of conference games in store that involve B10 teams.
Game is not at Cal. :) Not sure what big games you are referring to. MSU plays Notre Dame but that is about the only game that I’d rate above this one. You could argue that Arizona/Iowa is as big of a matchup given that Zona just made a bowl game for the first time in forever and Iowa is a “sleeper team”, but I think we’d get higher billing in this case. NW/Syracuse is not a bigger game and everyone else is playing cupcakes/MAC. Since MSU is playing @ ND, that game is on NBC. I think its between us and Iowa for the 2:30 regional ABC broadcast and I think we take it.

@ NW – Book that 11am BTN timeslot.

Wisconsin – Agree that Gameday is probably wishful thinking. It’s the best bet we have for Gameday in the first season of TCF but I’m not seeing it unless both teams are undefeated (and even then I think it’s a stretch). I think the 2:30 ABC is possible, but there is also the Michigan/MSU game to contend with. I suspect that one of these 2 games gets the 2:30 ABC while the other gets pushed to primetime on ESPN or ESPN2.

Purdue – Either ESPN2 or BTN with an 11am kickoff.

@ Penn State – This one is a crapshoot. The 3 best B10 games this weekend are Gophers@PSU, Iowa@UW, and NW@MSU. If we’re undefeated or 5-1 and PSU is undefeated then we would probably get top billing otherwise I'd say Iowa/UW.

@ Ohio State
@ Ohio State: Probably the ESPN2 slot at 11 am because Michigan State and Iowa are at night while Penn State at Michigan will probably be ABC at 2:30. This leaves Minnesota with this time.
Agree with the 11am kick, but we’d probably be on ESPN instead of the Deuce in the scenario you describe.

Michigan State – ABC if we’re doing well. 11am ESPN/ESPN2 if we’re not.

Illinois
Illinois: This one will either be on BTN or ESPN2 at 11. Unfortunately the Penn State and Ohio State game cannot start later that 2:30 because of new B10 rules regarding night games in November. This adds another game to the BTN and it could be either Minnesota and Illinois or Iowa and NW.
Certainly no better than ESPN at 11am for this one. The only games I see as for sure BTN matchups are W. Mich@MSU and UW@IU. I’m betting Purdue@Mich also goes BTN while our game or NW@Iowa duke it out for ESPN.

SDSU - This is what BTN was made for. Meh.

@Iowa – Probably BTN. I’m interested to see what happens to OSU/Mich if the Penn State@MSU game has B10 title/BCS berth implications. One of these two games gets 2:30 ABC while the other goes to 11am ESPN. I could see us sneaking onto ESPN2 here, but its probably BTN and definitely an 11am game.

I used this to help me figure things out. A little easier to go through than the one you linked to mittens (IMHO).

GoAUpher
Nice input and thanks for some of the corrections, I knew there would be a few!

just so you know guys. each team is require to be shown once on the Big Ten Network during conference play. non conference does not count toward the requirement.

just so you know guys. each team is require to be shown once on the Big Ten Network during conference play. non conference does not count toward the requirement.

I'd forgotten about that requirement...I look forward to the day when we only have 2-3 games a year (including NC) on BTN versus 6-8. :)

I doubt we get a College Gameday, there would need to be signifigant buzz around the program (and around Wisconsin) for them to come here. The stadium helps, but won't bring in the big guns without some help on the field. If both teams are undefeated/ranked at that time it is possible, but I would still think very unlikely.

I doubt we get a College Gameday, there would need to be signifigant buzz around the program (and around Wisconsin) for them to come here. The stadium helps, but won't bring in the big guns without some help on the field. If both teams are undefeated/ranked at that time it is possible, but I would still think very unlikely.

An even less likely scenario in which Gameday would be more likely to show would be if we were undefeated/1 loss and ranked in the teens versus an undefeated and higher ranked Michigan State squad. I could see a Gameday appearance for that even though there isn't a natural rivalry to play on. Something to dream about, but obviously I don't see it happening. :)

An even less likely scenario in which Gameday would be more likely to show would be if we were undefeated/1 loss and ranked in the teens versus an undefeated and higher ranked Michigan State squad. I could see a Gameday appearance for that even though there isn't a natural rivalry to play on. Something to dream about, but obviously I don't see it happening. :)

And right after I post this completely unlikely scenario BTN goes and makes it official by selecting the MSU game as a 7pm Primetime contest. :eek:

Air Force

Agree on BTN, but I’m betting this one is a night game and gets the whole network to itself. The Big 10 is not going to schedule some another game to run on BTN at the same time…not for the TCF opener.

And I was wrong here too. The Illinois/Illinois State game is also airing on BTN at 6pm Central on 9/12.

Other match ups that Saturday:

USC at Cal
LSU at Georgia
Florida St. at Boston College
Penn St. at Illinois
Oklahoma at Miami (FL)
Auburn at Tennessee

I'd love to see it, but I'm not counting on it.

My money is on ESPN Gameday being at Georgia that weekend with a slight possibility of Miami.

We are not an ESPN Gameday team... yet.

The earliest I see us getting Gameday is if we are ranked in 2010 when USC comes to town.

so far. i am 2 for 2 with my tv picks. i got Air Force and Michigan State right.

College GameDay may like the story line of the new stadium, but they will only consider being in Minneapolis if we beat Cal. Most likely we would have to be undefeated just to be under consideration. And with Cal a Top 10-12 team, it will be a challenge to stop them, specifically there great running back.

Top Bottom