recruiting

NateDawgUM

bored with recruiting talk
Reaction score
Why do grown adults pay attention to recruiting?

I keep seeing people who are all torn up and angry about KIDS switching their college choice (OH NO!)

And then I see people who are equally elated when a kid commits because they have a certain number of gold stars next to their name.

I've trailed off my use of this board because it seems to be more and more about recruiting, and quite frankly, I don't give a crap about a guy until he hits the field. It's the coaching staff's job to find the best fits for our program.

Let the kids decide where they want to go to school on their own time frame. Hold off your cheers and jeers until they hit the field.

Adults pay attention to recruiting the same reason you (presumably an adult) pay attention to 20 year olds running around a field in pads trying to hit other 20 year olds. If you trivialize recruiting, then you can just as easily trivialize the sport itself. So let's repharase your entire post using the logic of someone that calls themsvels "NateDawgUM"

Why do grown adults pay attention to 18-21 year olds running around an open grassy area carrying synthetic leather?

I keep seeing people who are all torn up and angry about KIDS dropping a synthetic leather ball (OH NO!)

And then I see people who are equally elated when a kid runs very fast because they have a certain number of points next to their team name up on a big scorebard.

I've trailed off my use of this board because it seems to be more and more about what 18-21 year olds do on Saturday afternoons, and quite frankly, I don't give a crap about a guy until he hits another 20 year old very hard.

In other words "NateDawgUM" get over yourself and if you enjoy certain aspects of sport, then great. It's all in good fun.

I'm guessing its because many fans realize that recruiting is vitale to the success of the program. Its actually very important which players 'hit the field' and their talent level. We follow recruiting because we knew a 4* Micheal Carter hitting the field is probably much better than a 2* unknown kid hitting the field

Great post Go4.

Recruiting is important because it makes a huge impact on how you do on Saturday's - simple enough.

Because the football offseason is longer than the season itself. What else am I going to read about at work?

Why do grown adults pay attention to recruiting?

I keep seeing people who are all torn up and angry about KIDS switching their college choice (OH NO!)

And then I see people who are equally elated when a kid commits because they have a certain number of gold stars next to their name.

I've trailed off my use of this board because it seems to be more and more about recruiting, and quite frankly, I don't give a crap about a guy until he hits the field. It's the coaching staff's job to find the best fits for our program.

Let the kids decide where they want to go to school on their own time frame. Hold off your cheers and jeers until they hit the field.

THANK YOU, NATE! I think the same way you do. Other than the general trendline, I do not care about recruiting, nor do I get myself all wound up about it.

Here I thought it was soley a function of keeping the other teams' fans out of the stadium.

Can we please drop the whole discussion regarding ticket sales? I understand that you got ripped by others on this board for selling tickets to a Badger fan, but alluding to it on every post since then is not really necessary is it?

It's over and done with as far as I'm concerned. How others feel is up to them, but if you keep bringing it up all the time, it's just going to further inflame the board.

Adults pay attention to recruiting the same reason you (presumably an adult) pay attention to 20 year olds running around a field in pads trying to hit other 20 year olds. If you trivialize recruiting, then you can just as easily trivialize the sport itself. So let's repharase your entire post using the logic of someone that calls themsvels "NateDawgUM"

Why do grown adults pay attention to 18-21 year olds running around an open grassy area carrying synthetic leather?

I keep seeing people who are all torn up and angry about KIDS dropping a synthetic leather ball (OH NO!)

And then I see people who are equally elated when a kid runs very fast because they have a certain number of points next to their team name up on a big scorebard.

I've trailed off my use of this board because it seems to be more and more about what 18-21 year olds do on Saturday afternoons, and quite frankly, I don't give a crap about a guy until he hits another 20 year old very hard.

In other words "NateDawgUM" get over yourself and if you enjoy certain aspects of sport, then great. It's all in good fun.

Snap! NateDawg - seriously?

selling tickets

Why would any Gopher fan sell their tickets to a becky or pigeon fan 5 months before the game. You would be better off selling to Gopher fans this early out. If it get closer to the game time and becky is the only one that will give you your price, then go for it. You will still have to live with yourself in the morning.

GO4: Caring about who carries a ball into an end zone is a little different from caring about which 17 year olds signs a sheet of paper.

But I find myself caring less and less about the outcome of the games as I age. I have no impact. I find myself more drawn to hanging out with my friends and enjoying the atmosphere of the day.

So you don't really care all that much about football in general anymore? You are just taking the opportunity to act self-righteous and judgmental? Cool! Thanks! :rolleyes:

I care, I just don't take it personally.

I've always taken the opportunity to be self righteous and judgmental around you rubes so this shouldn't come as any sort of shock.

Sometimes a response is so on point that it needs to be quoted.

recruiting is to college ball what Free Agency and the draft are to the NFL.

Do you pay attention to those?

It's the lifeblood of the program. It's not an exact science, but if track the top 20 "rated" recruiting classes every year, you may just see a correlation to the perrenial top 20 every year.

there are other elements involved like coaching and how kids develop, etc, but recruiting is a HUGE indicator of future success for a program.

for you to even ask why do people care is an obvious indication that you don't understand how college football works.

Recruiting

I am certainly more interested in reading about recruiting than seeing pictures of Natedawg at the bar on road trips.

I am certainly more interested in reading about recruiting than seeing pictures of Natedawg at the bar on road trips.

At least I'm not some anonymous internet person posting personal attacks.

I just think the mob of grown men fawning over 17 year old boys is a little creepy, but then again, with Brewster, that's what Gopher Football has become.

We suck on the field, but we have so many shiny stars on for-pay websites, yay!

If it bores and creeps you out, just don't read the recruiting threads. It's a big part of college football, but its not entertaining to everyone.

I find myself caring less and less about the outcome of the games as I age. I have no impact. I find myself more drawn to hanging out with my friends and enjoying the atmosphere of the day.

No flame--because I don't think anything is wrong with that--but if that is the way you feel you should consider getting GH to open up a tailgating board and you can talk about the tailgate.

I care, I just don't take it personally.

I've always taken the opportunity to be self righteous and judgmental around you rubes so this shouldn't come as any sort of shock.

This is soooo Nate. Very funny stuff...

So you go from asking why people pay attention to recruiting to contending that those who do "love and cherish" recruiting articles, and are "fawning" over young men? Simply, get over yourself.

I think your thoughts say a lot more about you than those that follow what's going on with Minnesota's recruiting.

And you'll have to excuse me for not knowing you are naturally one of those self-righteous and judgmental types. I'm sorta new here. But thanks for the admission. I'll know not to put much stock into any of your posts in the future.

GO4: Caring about who carries a ball into an end zone is a little different from caring about which 17 year olds signs a sheet of paper.

But I find myself caring less and less about the outcome of the games as I age. I have no impact. I find myself more drawn to hanging out with my friends and enjoying the atmosphere of the day.

Nate, I'm having a hard time figuring you out on this one. First, you don't care about recruiting, but you care about the games. Okay, fine. But now, it sounds like you don't really care much about the games either. So what do you care about? Hanging with friends? Gameday atmosphere? Drinking lots of beer?

And then you state that we suck on the field anyway under Brewster and that all we talk about is guys with stars next to their names on pay-for-service websites. Are you a fan or aren't you? Do you support the team or not? At this point, sounds like you're more along for the ride than anything else.

Gotta step in here...

Nate, I'm having a hard time figuring you out on this one. First, you don't care about recruiting, but you care about the games. Okay, fine. But now, it sounds like you don't really care much about the games either. So what do you care about? Hanging with friends? Gameday atmosphere? Drinking lots of beer?

And then you state that we suck on the field anyway under Brewster and that all we talk about is guys with stars next to their names on pay-for-service websites. Are you a fan or aren't you? Do you support the team or not? At this point, sounds like you're more along for the ride than anything else.

There's no doubt that Nate is self righteous and judgmental - trust me, we've gotten into many arguments/debates.

However, what Nate is a true Gopher fan, and I have never, for one second, questioned that. He was on about a 3-4 year streak where he went to every single BT football game. Even when he moved from Minneapolis to Chicago, he spent his time and energy (and $ - it's not cheap), making sure he made it to the majority of games to support his team. Unlike many fans, he's not one to support the coach, he supports the program, and he's supported Gopher Football for many years. Let's face it - we don't have a very strong fanbase. Personally, if I can't get Nate to go with me to a game, I pretty much can't get ANYONE to go - and I know a lot of posters on this board and Gopher fans, and I never see the dedication to go to games from anyone else. I'm not saying that's the only way to support your team, many people can't attend all the games - but I'd defensively say, if Nate wasn't a true Gopher fan, he would not have spend the countless hours, effort and money to cheer on his team (and trust me, he cheers as loud as anyone).

I think the point that he's trying to get across is it's an experience. People that just come and go to the games, don't get to enjoy all of that. I've met some of my good friends from tailgating. And I'm not just talking about drinking, I'm talking about hearing their stories, being able to talk about the team, etc...things you can't do with all of your friends. I remember, I used to be CRUSHED after a Gopher loss, but after so many tough years, you learn to enjoy the entire experience, not just the game. Don't get me wrong, the beginning of last season was incredible, and it made it 10 times more fun to be winning, but even if we don't - we're still going to support the team, and enjoy the ride.

We may be some of the only people that believe it's really is about the journey - and when you win, it is just that much sweeter.

Lady, I for one don't question Nate's fanhood. The problem I have with what he is saying is the insinuation that if you follow recruiting, it somehow makes you an immature doofus. The two of you obviously enjoy tailgating, and while I think tailgating is stupid and a waste of money, and is something I have never done nor plan to do in my life, my philosophy is "to each their own," and I would never come on here and say something like "Why do grown adults sit around a parking lot and drink too much and act like idiots?" Obviously, people who enjoy tailgating would find that offensive, much in the same manner that those who enjoy recruiting (myself included) are offended by the suggestion that we are belittled by those who do not.

There's no doubt that Nate is self righteous and judgmental - trust me, we've gotten into many arguments/debates.

However, what Nate is a true Gopher fan, and I have never, for one second, questioned that. He was on about a 3-4 year streak where he went to every single BT football game. Even when he moved from Minneapolis to Chicago, he spent his time and energy (and $ - it's not cheap), making sure he made it to the majority of games to support his team. Unlike many fans, he's not one to support the coach, he supports the program, and he's supported Gopher Football for many years. Let's face it - we don't have a very strong fanbase. Personally, if I can't get Nate to go with me to a game, I pretty much can't get ANYONE to go - and I know a lot of posters on this board and Gopher fans, and I never see the dedication to go to games from anyone else. I'm not saying that's the only way to support your team, many people can't attend all the games - but I'd defensively say, if Nate wasn't a true Gopher fan, he would not have spend the countless hours, effort and money to cheer on his team (and trust me, he cheers as loud as anyone).

I think the point that he's trying to get across is it's an experience. People that just come and go to the games, don't get to enjoy all of that. I've met some of my good friends from tailgating. And I'm not just talking about drinking, I'm talking about hearing their stories, being able to talk about the team, etc...things you can't do with all of your friends. I remember, I used to be CRUSHED after a Gopher loss, but after so many tough years, you learn to enjoy the entire experience, not just the game. Don't get me wrong, the beginning of last season was incredible, and it made it 10 times more fun to be winning, but even if we don't - we're still going to support the team, and enjoy the ride.

We may be some of the only people that believe it's really is about the journey - and when you win, it is just that much sweeter.

thanks for the reply GopherLady. I was just seeking clarification because it was hard to figure out from the posts he made earlier. I for one hold the same viewpoint when attending a Gopher game or when watching a game with friends. And I'm very happy that Nate is a true Gopher fan. The more, the merrier in my eyes!!!:)

I was just having a hard time making the connection. But I trust your "information," just like I do with anything else you post. :D:D

Top Bottom