Zagzebski ???

Ha ha, what a joke. Someone should have told Konrad during his first interview regarding his supposed love for the Gopher program to stop talking. That way, he could have saved face. And please stop with the whole "he's a young kid and he changed his mind" crap. I agree at a certain level, but there also comes a time when a kid should stand up and either decide or not and be done with it. All he had to do was not commit at all or stop with the whole "my recruitment is over" crap he was spewing after his initial commit.

But I have no doubt he'll fit right in with Bielema and crew. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.minnesota.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=903549

I hope this doesn't start one of the typical GI vs. GH arguments but it is pretty entertaining to go back and read young Mr. Zagzebski's comments from a couple months ago. Here are a couple of the better quotes from Zach's article on GI.

"I am psyched right now and super pumped to be a Gopher. I had a feeling that an offer was coming and I knew that if it did my recruiting process would be over. I don't care who else offers, I want to be a Golden Gopher." I knew that even if all the schools in the Big Ten were to offer that I would end up at Minnesota," he said. "I felt loyalty from the Minnesota staff ever since they started to recruit me last year. According to Zagzebski, this decision is final. "The way I see it Wisconsin and everyone else had their chance, but to be honest I really never saw myself playing at Wisconsin," he said. "Minnesota is where it is at right now and it doesn't take long to recognize that they are a program on the rise. There is a lot of excitement within the program and I cannot wait to play in the new stadium. I just want to be at Minnesota. My decision is over and I can now focus on one more year of high school ball."

http://www.minnesota.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=903549

I hope this doesn't start one of the typical GI vs. GH arguments but it is pretty entertaining to go back and read young Mr. Zagzebski's comments from a couple months ago. Here are a couple of the better quotes from Zach's article on GI.

"I am psyched right now and super pumped to be a Gopher. I had a feeling that an offer was coming and I knew that if it did my recruiting process would be over. I don't care who else offers, I want to be a Golden Gopher." I knew that even if all the schools in the Big Ten were to offer that I would end up at Minnesota," he said. "I felt loyalty from the Minnesota staff ever since they started to recruit me last year. According to Zagzebski, this decision is final. "The way I see it Wisconsin and everyone else had their chance, but to be honest I really never saw myself playing at Wisconsin," he said. "Minnesota is where it is at right now and it doesn't take long to recognize that they are a program on the rise. There is a lot of excitement within the program and I cannot wait to play in the new stadium. I just want to be at Minnesota. My decision is over and I can now focus on one more year of high school ball."

Bingo. Right on the money Johnny. Kid doesn't know commitment from a hole in the ground. And he apparently also excels in spewing all kinds of untrue crap. It'll be interesting to see what kind of comments he has about this "commitment.":rolleyes::rolleyes:

This isn't rocket science. He was injured. A Big Ten program offered him a scholarship. He took it (a bird in the hand). A better program came along and offered. So he left for the better program. Aren't you guys used to this by now? Nortman, Gilreath, Brendan Kelly (who is having a heck of a Spring).

whats with all the wisconsin hacks coming on this board lately????????

I've never ripped a kid before, but this is different

This kid got an offer while he wasn't 100% back from a serious injury. The Gophers staff showed enough faith in this kid to offer him a scholarship anyways. He then turns around and not only backs out of his end of the deal, but commits to their biggest rival? Absolute garbage, and being 17 doesn't excuse that.

I "cool" on anyone who shows this amazing lack of character.

This isn't rocket science. He was injured. A Big Ten program offered him a scholarship. He took it (a bird in the hand). A better program came along and offered. So he left for the better program. Aren't you guys used to this by now? Nortman, Gilreath, Brendan Kelly (who is having a heck of a Spring).

Ah yes, the Bret Bielema standard of recruiting exemplified. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No character at all, but still telling themselves how great they are. Classic cheese-for-brains spin.

What a freakin tool!!!! I agree with the fact that 17 year old kids should be able to change their minds about something as big as their college decision but I hate people like this!!! If you aren't sure about something then DON'T DO IT, it reflects poorly on the person's character. Shows that he isn't a man of his word and IMHO we don't need him anyways, good players with good character are the type of players who deserve to wear the maroon and gold and help lead us into TCF stadium. Let him go toil in the white and red and I for one will laugh when I see a running back, tight end or wideout from the Gophers put him on his keister. I only hope they show a close up of his face at that moment so we can see the look on his face that I have no doubt will say "S**t I made the wrong decision"

Ah yes, the Bret Bielema standard of recruiting exemplified. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No character at all, but still telling themselves how great they are. Classic cheese-for-brains spin.

So because Minnesota offered him a non-binding oral commitment over 9 months before his oral acceptance could be finalized with a contract, no one else should get involved?

Sorry guys. This is how big boy football has been played for the last couple decades while Minnesota has been a floormat in football. It certainly isn't exclusive to Bret Bielema.

So because Minnesota offered him a non-binding oral commitment over 9 months before his oral acceptance could be finalized with a contract, no one else should get involved.

Sorry guys. This is how big boy football has been played for the last couple decades while Minnesota has been a floormat in football. It certainly isn't exclusive to Bret Bielema.

That's not what anyone here has been saying from what I've read.......I think the general point of everyone is that if you aren't sure of something then don't freaking do it. It was 9 months before it was to become a binding agreement but why tell Coach Brew and the Gophers that you want to be there and you don't care what anyone else has to offer, you want to be a Gopher and that's that if that's not really the case? Leave your recruiting open until you know that you want to be a Gopher, a Becky or whatever else. No one would have cared if he had Minnesota and Wisky as his top two and ended up choosing the dark side on national signing day.......

So because Minnesota offered him a non-binding oral commitment over 9 months before his oral acceptance could be finalized with a contract, no one else should get involved.

Point no. 1: Nobody "offered" him a "verbal" anything. He had a scholarship offer, which he could either accept or decline. Nobody gets "offered" a "verbal." You either take it or you don't. The "offer" is official, regardless of whether the verbal is binding or not. The verbal has to do with letting the coaching staff know where they are at in terms of overall schollies available to offer. And in this case, the kid lied about it. No question about it.

point no. 2: This case has nothing to do with Wisconsin being a "big boy", which by the way is laughable at this point, or whether the Gopher program hadn't won a game in the 2000s. It has to do with what the kid said after he committed the first time around. If he wanted to explore his options, fine, but at least be upfront about it. Rather, he showed an inherent lack of brain power to understand this fact and will now apparently showcase those skills in Madison.

Roch, I was replying to MRJ's stupid crack on Bielema: "Ah yes, the Bret Bielema standard of recruiting exemplified"

Roch, I was replying to MRJ's stupid crack on Bielema: "Ah yes, the Bret Bielema standard of recruiting exemplified"

Almost as stupid as coming over here to flame about it for example???

Look in the mirror.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Point no. 1: Nobody "offered" him a "verbal" anything. He had a scholarship offer, which he could either accept or decline.

You are arguing over semantics....Nonetheless....it absolutely is a non-binding offer from Brewster. If Brewster decides he doesn't like Konrad at any point until the National Letter of Intent Day, he can tell him he no longer has room for him. It is simply not binding.

Rather, he showed an inherent lack of brain power to understand this fact and will now apparently showcase those skills in Madison.

Actually, he excersized his brain quite well in chosing the higher ranked academic school, in his home state, that has currently won 12 of 14 against the school he choose. I think those are pretty good signs of his brain power. :D

You are arguing over semantics....Nonetheless....it absolutely is a non-binding offer from Brewster. If Brewster decides he doesn't like Konrad at any point until the National Letter of Intent Day, he can tell him he no longer has room for him. It is simply not binding.

Actually, he excersized his brain quite well in chosing the higher ranked academic school, in his home state, that has currently won 12 of 14 against the school he choose. I think those are pretty good signs of his brain power. :D

Those darn semantics, always getting in the way!!!!

Well, his brain power is apparently higher than yours, at least in the area of spelling hopefully...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

All this unfriendly banter aside, the real point of my rants is this: I have a problem with people saying unequivocally one thing and then doing another. That really rubs me the wrong way.

In going along with this, my real issue isn't with Bielema or the Badger program per say. Rather, it's with a kid that says one thing specifically, acts hypocritically against it, and then wants to chalk it up to "I'm young and made a mistake." This caused my frustration to take over for a moment, which is my fault entirely as it pertains to Bielema and Badgers (although I'm hardly a fan of either :p).

But my overall point remains. There comes a time when a kid needs to step forward, be a man, and either decide or not and be done with it. That's the real point. Since this kid obviously had another agenda, he shouldn't have committed in the first place. But he did, and then complicated things with some ridiculous statements about how committed he was before turning at the first opportunity. This is also why I wasn't all that upset with Nortman, Gilreath or Kelly decommitting, even though many Gopher fans were. Their decommits weren't, at least as I remember, as hypocritical as this one was.

This case happens to be different, at least from my perspective, because it appeared the kid out-and-out lied about his intentions. That's a big problem in my eyes.

I really don't fault the kid. I fault the people, many of you supposedly adults who try to make an instant hero out of a kid who verbals or says he is committing to a high pressure sales job by a coach of our program need to back off and not take the kid, the coach or the high pressured sales jobs so seriously. Why would you be so nasty to the kid when a high pressure sales job causes him to cave in to a head coach from the flag-ship University in his home state after having caved in to the high pressure sales job from the high pressure coach of a border state? No, it is not shame on him. It is shame on the high pressure tactics that are turned on to these kids by these coaches. Any coach who high pressures and does a sales number on a 17 year old kid can't really expect that kid to not wake up with a bit of buyer's remorse. Beware the high-pressured sales coaches and this is just another reason I get so down on the whole recruiting thing. These kids want their butts kissed and these grown head coaches fancy themselves to be super recruiters and high pressured sales closers. Well, they don't always close the deal.

And, fans need to back off the highs and lows they get because some 17 year old recruit verbals. Wait until that kid shows up, enrolls in classes, puts on the pads and spends a couple of years in the program. Then we will know if a kid is really committed or is just suffering from wanting to "hear the love" and having some high-pressured sales coach telling him what that coach thinks he wants to hear. The scrupples of coaches and recruits and recruits parents actually kind of make a pretty good fit.

Quit high pressuring kids...it's not all it's hyped up to be. A high pressure sales job really is nothing to count on when all is said and done.

Almost as stupid as coming over here to flame about it for example???

Look in the mirror.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey, you still have me on the calling out adolescent young men thing. You won't catch me doing that any time soon.

The kid changed his mind. Deal with it. As I said, this isn't new between these two programs, including players who grew up in the shadow of the Dump.

Yeah, apparently more than you have in the area of spelling...

Are we really going to turn this into a spelling bee? I thought this was a football message board?

They're called typos....I'm sure you've had one from time to time.

I really don't fault the kid. I fault the people, many of you supposedly adults who try to make an instant hero out of a kid who verbals or says he is committing to a high pressure sales job by a coach of our program need to back off and not take the kid, the coach or the high pressured sales jobs so seriously. Why would you be so nasty to the kid when a high pressure sales job causes him to cave in to a head coach from the flag-ship University in his home state after having caved in to the high pressure sales job from the high pressure coach of a border state? No, it is not shame on him. It is shame on the high pressure tactics that are turned on to these kids by these coaches. Any coach who high pressures and does a sales number on a 17 year old kid can't really expect that kid to not wake up with a bit of buyer's remorse. Beware the high-pressured sales coaches and this is just another reason I get so down on the whole recruiting thing. These kids want their butts kissed and these grown head coaches fancy themselves to be super recruiters and high pressured sales closers. Well, they don't always close the deal.

And, fans need to back off the highs and lows they get because some 17 year old recruit verbals. Wait until that kid shows up, enrolls in classes, puts on the pads and spends a couple of years in the program. Then we will know if a kid is really committed or is just suffering from wanting to "hear the love" and having some high-pressured sales coach telling him what that coach thinks he wants to hear. The scrupples of coaches and recruits and recruits parents actually kind of make a pretty good fit.

Quit high pressuring kids...it's not all it's hyped up to be. A high pressure sales job really is nothing to count on when all is said and done.

What examples do you have of any high pressured sales jobs going on by either coach? Otherwise, you are talking out your a--. If you are going to type it, shouldn't you back it up?

boisawhiningpieceofgarbageryan:::get out of here you piece of S$%# you bring nothing to this discussion, people arent pissed he backed out of his verbal they are pissed the comments he made about his verbal. He is not a 3 year old he knew what he said and he shoved it back in the face of a fan base. You seem not to understand that part, maybe we use to big of words??? It doesn't matter what schools are involved, if it would have been the other way around I would have thought the same thing. but you dont get it, so please just do everyone a favor and crack open a miller lite, cook a brat and watch video replays of your old highschool glory days in your trailor park..Thanks

Are we really going to turn this into a spelling bee? I thought this was a football message board?

They're called typos....I'm sure you've had one from time to time.

Sure, from time-to-time. Then again, mine don't come from the zeal to flame on and beat my chest like a gorilla because I want to show a rival how inferior they are.

Hey, you still have me on the calling out adolescent young men thing. You won't catch me doing that any time soon.

The kid changed his mind. Deal with it. As I said, this isn't new between these two programs, including players who grew up in the shadow of the Dump.

Hey, it's what I do!!!!:p:p

Seriously though, this is actually a good point and I agree with it. A lot of back and forth between the two schools over the years and that doesn't figure to change anytime soon.

What examples do you have of any high pressured sales jobs going on by either coach? Otherwise, you are talking out your a--. If you are going to type it, shouldn't you back it up?

Question: Do you not believe this is what goes on? I'm not flaming here, just asking, because I happen to agree with the premise of the original poster, especially as it relates to college football and indeed, college sports on a higher level. Just wondering. :)

Hahahaha what a douche.

Next.

UW is like a hemorrhoid - irritating, but hardly anything to worry about. Next.

ROTFLMAO!

Says a fan of a team that has won 2 of the last 14 contests......If anything is irritating to you, it should be losing your home stadium to North Dakota State! LOL!

EDIT: Nice try on the edit, too.

Question: Do you not believe this is what goes on? I'm not flaming here, just asking, because I happen to agree with the premise of the original poster, especially as it relates to college football and indeed, college sports on a higher level. Just wondering. :)

I fully understand that there is a lot of pressure that goes on with recruiting. But each kid is different. I'm sure not all will respond well to high pressure. So I'm trying to illustrate, that the posters agenda isn't necessarily supported here. Is there a lot of pressure on these kids? Of course. But it's a different topic than making things up with how they went with Konrad Zagzebski's recruiting. Do we know Brewster pressured him? Do we know Bielema pressured him? No on both.

ROTFLMAO!

Says a fan of a team that has won 2 of the last 14 contests......If anything is irritating to you, it should be losing your home stadium to North Dakota State! LOL!

EDIT: Nice try on the edit, too.

You're as much of a tool as Konrad Z, probably worse. Do you really think you need to reply 50 times to this thread? Wisconsin people are all alike. They tend to be dead animal rapers and serial killers; the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree, obviously, in your case either.

Lets face it, Wisc fans used all the excuses in the world why they didn't want KZ, now they love the kid...SHOCKING! Well I issue this statement to all actual Gopher fans, WE DON'T NEED "KIDS" THAT CAN'T KEEP THEIR WORD. WE WANT MEN WHO WANT TO BEAT THE PISS OUT OF ANYTHING THAT IS RED AND WHITE AND MOST LIKELY DRUNK. PEACE OUT KONRAD IT WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED :rolleyes:

To BoOwnsIzzo- Have fun getting all of our left overs from MN from now on. Enjoy getting owned by Izzo like everyone else. Congrats on getting your FIRST commit and good luck trusting him.

Top Bottom