Wall Street Journal on Falling Student Attendance

It could simply be that the next generations are going to be less sports crazy than the current generations of adults.

Twitter and face book will be the decline if the Western civilization as we know it. That and the " Fox song " Winston Churchill would say: " This isn't our finest hour "

There's no lost generation. Just because they're not cramming into the stadiums doesn't mean they're not watching on TV. The big money is not made at the gate anymore. Would be nice to be in Georgia's position of averaging 12,000 students with 10,000 fewer undergrads and 9,000 fewer graduate students.

Twitter and face book will be the decline if the Western civilization as we know it. That and the " Fox song " Winston Churchill would say: " This isn't our finest hour "

True...Now if they would just play some George Harrison, the students would be flocking to the stadiums.

From the article:

Declining student attendance is an illness that has been spreading for years nationwide. But now it has hit the Southeastern Conference, home to college football's best teams and supposedly its most fervent fans, giving athletics officials reason to fret about future ticket sales and fundraising.

As it turns out, Georgia students left empty 39% of their designated sections of Sanford Stadium over the last four seasons, according to school records of student-ticket scans. Despite their allocation of about 18,000 seats, the number of students at games between 2009 and 2012 never exceeded 15,000.

Winning isn't even necessarily a solution. The average student crowd to see last year's Georgia team—which finished the season ranked No. 5—was almost 6,000 short of maximum capacity. Even at Alabama, 32% of student seats went unused by students between 2009 and 2012, when the Crimson Tide won three national championships. Alabama coach Nick Saban wrote a flattering letter last week in the student paper to recruit students back.

GO Gophers!!

The more the game is geared to TV, the more difficult it is to enjoy in person. That and internet availability. Most kids can't go 10 minutes without the ability to text, or pull up internet content and many stadiums get overwhelmed with connectivity ability. I always struggle at TCF Bank Stadium, and there is no chance of connectivity at half time, when everyone is trying to access their phones.

That and all the time spent watching the dude in the red cap direct when the teams can actually play... shorter attention spans are getting challenged to the limit.

They are still outdrawing Our gopher student section by 5 thousand. We can't fill the 10k student section unless they give them away. I think the University should make the tickets free for students until the team is better. I think the the students would go if the tickets were free.

Why is it so hard to get data reception on a cell phone at TCF? I have verizon and it works great at Target Field and the Metrodump. At TCF I get nothing. This doesn't help matters.

Why is it so hard to get data reception on a cell phone at TCF? I have verizon and it works great at Target Field and the Metrodump. At TCF I get nothing. This doesn't help matters.

Too many phones are fighting for a cell tower. Since Target Field and the Metrodome are close to downtown, there are probably more towers in the general area.

That is William Henry Harrison, the 9th President of the United States.
That is one of the basic problems of the Next Generation. History is null and void in the minds of the twitter crowd. Wait-What fits right in.

My bad, thought it has Benjamin.

Not surprised that they left us out of this article, as it doesn't help their point any about SEC schools. We pack in 30,000 students to each game, even if it's a nobody. It's a culture you create - students can and do go without their phones and beer for three hours during a game.

Because the giant rail yard Northeast of the stadium is a cell phone wasteland.

Top Bottom