PiPress: Bigger has been better, but maybe not this time

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The average weight of Minnesota's starting offensive linemen is up nine pounds since last season. Defensive linemen are five pounds heavier, on average.

And yet, Iowa is bigger than Minnesota up front on both sides of the ball. Hawkeyes running back Mark Weisman, who rushed for 177 yards against the Gophers last season, weighs as much as the average Minnesota starting linebacker, 236 pounds.

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said Tuesday that Kill's team looks more physical than last season.

"I think the big thing is they're a more mature team, to me at least, looking across the line," Ferentz said on a Big Ten conference call. "They were 4-0 last year at this time, but they're clearly a more mature team than they were a year ago. They committed to playing some good young players a year ago -- even before that. They're benefiting from that right now. Looks like the guys are very well coached. They're on the same page, and playing real hard and physically."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24176914/gophers-football-bigger-has-been-better-but-maybe

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

The average weight of Minnesota's starting offensive linemen is up nine pounds since last season. Defensive linemen are five pounds heavier, on average.

And yet, Iowa is bigger than Minnesota up front on both sides of the ball.

I really don't know where Marcus gets his info, but according to Iowa's roster, they have exactly two OL over 300 pounds with the largest being Scherff at 315 (the other being Donnal at 305). I believe all our starters are over 300 with two over 320 (Epping and Campion).

Their DL may be a little larger as they have two DL over 300 (Davis at 315 and Johnson at 310). We have two over 300 (Hageman at 311 and Legania at 308). Our DEs do tend to be on the small side (like 240).

I really don't know where Marcus gets his info, but according to Iowa's roster, they have exactly two OL over 300 pounds with the largest being Scherff at 315 (the other being Donnal at 305). I believe all our starters are over 300 with two over 320 (Epping and Campion).

Their DL may be a little larger as they have two DL over 300 (Davis at 315 and Johnson at 310). We have two over 300 (Hageman at 311 and Legania at 308). Our DEs do tend to be on the small side (like 240).

Which is by design. I guess Marcus should throw that in there.

Which is by design. I guess Marcus should throw that in there.

Question on that: assuming our lighter, faster ends would give us an advantage for rushing the passer, is there something in our scheme that addresses the potential for them to get pushed around in the run game?

The over 300lb argument can be overrated IMO

Scherff may not be a 6-7 340lb monster that we've seen from time to time, but he can hang clean 410lbs 3 times. He's incredibly strong and can move well for his size. I think that can be more important than sheer size

I'll take the very strong 6-4 295lb OG over the flabby 6-5 330lb OG each time Our center Blythe #63 is only 6-3 300lbs but he's a 2 time state HWT champ and pretty damn strong for a Soph.

Iowa State had some sizeable kids up front a couple weeks ago but not all 310-320lb kids are created equal.

Question on that: assuming our lighter, faster ends would give us an advantage for rushing the passer, is there something in our scheme that addresses the potential for them to get pushed around in the run game?

My understanding (which is admittedly less than others on here) is that our D linemen, by design, rush through to the backfield on basically every play, then it's the LBs job to fill the gaps on run plays. So basically, our scheme isn't too impacted by smaller DEs - they're always trying to get past the OL rather than push, then the LBs have to step up

PiPress: Bigger has been better, but maybe not this time

I always feel like I have a rare muscle disorder when I think of Ioaw

seems like our de's job is to blow up plays. and if they do that 1 out of every, let's say 4-5 plays, it will make it rough for iowa to consistently run the ball. (assuming their not gashing us for 8+ the rest of the plays, but rather are getting 4ish yards

Top Bottom