Sid Hartman: Issues remain with Vikings use of TCF Bank Stadium

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Issues remain with use of TCF Bank Stadium

The Vikings and the University of Minnesota still haven’t decided on all the adjustments that need to be made so the Vikings can play in TCF Bank Stadium for two years while the new stadium is under construction.

“What has to be determined … is what type of field heating system would we use,” said Bagley, referring to whether it will be a blanket tarp system or coils to heat the stadium field. They are also working on what the end-zone seating will look like — whether it’s temporary seating or standing-room-only tickets.

“All of those details are yet to be sorted through and we’re working well with the university,” Bagley said. “Once we get the use agreement, [the] development agreement nailed down with the stadium authority and get our London game done, we will turn our full attention to the university.”

Another question that remains unsolved is how the team will deal with where season-ticket holders will sit in the Gophers’ stadium, compared to their seats at the Metrodome. That same issue extends to the owners of Vikings suites.

“I think there is 36 suites at TCF Bank Stadium,” Bagley said. “We have 80 at Mall of America Field. Those are items that need to be sorted out. The suites, as well as the seats — if you have a 20-yard line seat at Mall of America Field, where does that fit in TCF Bank Stadium? All of that work is being put together and we’re going to have to work through that over the next several months.”

The university and the Vikings also will have to decide how concessions will work for Vikings games compared to Gophers games, especially when it comes to alcohol, and how different sponsors at the two stadiums will be advertised. Bagley insists those details will all be worked out soon.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/225280031.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I haven't been paying attention to this AT ALL, but can't they add temporary seating on the upper concourse behind the upper deck?

I'd hate to block the views of campus and the city out of the open end with temporary Vikings bleachers. That said, there's probably a ton of fire code mumbo jumbo that I haven't taken the time to research.

The UM needs to establish control and insist on what is best for the Gophers. After all, where else can the Queens play? The Fargo Dome?? Or Ames?

Is it too late to ask the Vikings to go away? To be clear to all, I hate the NFL. I hate that they consider themselves non profit, I have read on GH. I hate that as a state we are financing a highly lucrative business cash cow. I hated the Gophers moving to the dome just so the pro sports could get that dump. Frankly, if we are to fund business as a public, whybnot just build 3M a new LED plant in New Ulm for 500MM? Higher return on the overall economy than breaking men's bodies.

Is it too late to ask the Vikings to go away? To be clear to all, I hate the NFL. I hate that they consider themselves non profit, I have read on GH. I hate that as a state we are financing a highly lucrative business cash cow. I hated the Gophers moving to the dome just so the pro sports could get that dump. Frankly, if we are to fund business as a public, whybnot just build 3M a new LED plant in New Ulm for 500MM? Higher return on the overall economy than breaking men's bodies.

It's a rich man's playground with spoiled brats playing in it. It is a colossal waste of taxpayer dollars. It's too bad that Dayton and the legislature couldn't grow a pair and send them packing even though they had nowhere to go. The reality of the situation is that we are stuck with them and the public will be financing this boondoggle for many years to come.

It's a rich man's playground with spoiled brats playing in it. It is a colossal waste of taxpayer dollars. It's too bad that Dayton and the legislature couldn't grow a pair and send them packing even though they had nowhere to go. The reality of the situation is that we are stuck with them and the public will be financing this boondoggle for many years to come.

I've had a cocktail or too, this isn't aimed at you Mngoldengophers1, why can't the U of M say f it and say either you put coils in, or you doing nothing at all? Say we don't want that blanket being an eyesore in the sideline on Saturdsys. Whether or not it would be an eyesore. Screw em, I was/maybe am a big Vikings fan.

How many seats will the Vikings be adding? What if this Gophers team continues to improve and ticket demand improves, the Gophers could benefit by having ~60,000 fans at games maybe?

The Vikings do not play well with others. They fully intend to railroad the U and I won't be surprised one bit when they do just that. The Vikings leadership are strong and aggresive. The U leadership is weak and meek. Not hard to see where this is going.

Issues with playing at TCF? Fits right in with the Minnesota Vikings. "Issues" sums up the Vikings as a whole in the most pc terms possible.

Hey vikes, put in the coils you cheap asses!

Do you know for a fact that it isn't the Gophers say no to the coils? I understand that some of your have a dislike/hate for the Vikings, but this deal in absolutely no way harms the Gophers, it only benefits them (and most likely) their fans.

I haven't been paying attention to this AT ALL, but can't they add temporary seating on the upper concourse behind the upper deck?

I'd hate to block the views of campus and the city out of the open end with temporary Vikings bleachers. That said, there's probably a ton of fire code mumbo jumbo that I haven't taken the time to research.

Won't it only block those currently sitting in the endzone? It's not like they are going to be very high.

Do you know for a fact that it isn't the Gophers say no to the coils? I understand that some of your have a dislike/hate for the Vikings, but this deal in absolutely no way harms the Gophers, it only benefits them (and most likely) their fans.

Totally agree. The U will get stadium upgrades and revenue from the Vikings for use of the facility. I understand there is a lot of dislike in here for the Vikings but this is not going to hurt the University considering the stadium would be sitting empty on these Sundays anyway. The Vikings will do what they can to make it look like their own stadium on their game days but there is no way they will be able to cover all the U of M logos and the TV broadcasts will be full of cut away shots of the University and campus.

The U should hold strong and get the best deal possible but overall this will be a good thing for the University.

Facilities upgrade $$$, Vikings/Wylf as the major donor instead of Sanford ;)

It has been Lester Bagley of the Vikings that has been saying they want to do no heating coils and do the heated tarps thing
like the Buffalo Bills do. If this is what they want to do then why should the U allow them to rip up the exisiting turf so that they
can paint there logo on it. If I were the Gophers I would play hardball with these guys as that is what the Vikings are trying to do.

Could also be that the U doesn't want to pay for the upkeep on the stadium coils once they are put in because the cost for that would be a lot and these systems do deteriorate without maintanance and keeping them operational.
You know the Vikings are trying to worm there way in to getting the parking revenue from game days correct?
All I know is the U should not bend over backwards to hand revenue to the Vikings which is what the Vikings want.
Bagley is a snake type don't trust anything he says because he will do nothing but try and stab the U in the back.

The Vikings do not play well with others. They fully intend to railroad the U and I won't be surprised one bit when they do just that. The Vikings leadership are strong and aggresive. The U leadership is weak and meek. Not hard to see where this is going.

I don't know. Teague is no Maturi. I don't know about the U's lawyers though. In any case, I fully expect the Vikings to try to railroad the Gophers. They've been railroading people all their lives, and then the cry and complain when people punch back. Oh, poor baby Wilfs, you entitled pr*cks!

I say the Gophers should railroad the hell out of them. They have the Vikings over a barrel. Only the legislature can prevent the U from getting a great deal from the Wilfs, and I think the legislature and Dayton prefer the U to the Vikings.

I don't know. Teague is no Maturi. I don't know about the U's lawyers though. In any case, I fully expect the Vikings to try to railroad the Gophers. They've been railroading people all their lives, and then the cry and complain when people punch back. Oh, poor baby Wilfs, you entitled pr*cks!

I say the Gophers should railroad the hell out of them. They have the Vikings over a barrel. Only the legislature can prevent the U from getting a great deal from the Wilfs, and I think the legislature and Dayton prefer the U to the Vikings.

the legislature can't really do jack in my opinion. this is a business deal/usage agreement between two separate entities. the only thing i think the legislature has a say on is with things like who the regents are going to be, and state law level things like alcohol licenese, etc. the stupid politicians should have no say and i don't believe they do at this point.

i personally hope the U railroads the hell out of the vikes, holds them over a barrel wherever possible, and gets whatever they want out of the final usage agreement. not because i have any personal dislike of wilf or bagley (they are just businessmen trying to get the best deal), but because i truly care about the gophers and in my world the vikings are really just an NFL team that happens to be based in minneapolis. i hope the gophers look out for themselves and themselves only from a current and future stand point regarding the stadium and its outside use.

Top Bottom