Judd Zulgad: Gophers mulling which running back will start at QB Saturday

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Judd:

The most interesting thing will be what happens during the Big Ten season when the Gophers face a team that can stop the quarterbacks from running and force them to resort to the passing game.

Who gets the call if and when that happens?

It's at that point that we might have a controversy about whether Nelson or Leidner is more deserving of being on the field and actually playing what we consider to be the quarterback position.

Until that time, however, Leidner and Nelson are nothing more than running backs taking snaps from center and as long as the victories continue no one is going to get upset about that.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._running_back_will_start_at_QB_Saturday092513

Go Gophers!!

I say start'em all. Line up in the wishbone the first play and then start the rotation until we find our "hot" back.

Go Gophers!

Leidner and Nelson are nothing more than running backs taking snaps from center and as long as the victories continue no one is going to get upset about that.

It's a bit odd to me that so much emphasis is placed on the fact that we haven't passed much. This was almost a badge of honor in the Mason regime - you knew what was coming, but we were going to run the ball down your throat anyway. In Mason's third year (1999), Billy Cockerham had games with these stat lines:

4-15, 36 yds
9-15, 95 yds
6-11, 100 yds
7-16, 123 yds

Three of those games were wins, and one was a three-point loss to Ohio State. So is it simply the style of play, using the read option where the quarterback is expected to carry the ball more, that has folks concerned? Granted, those teams had some guys we knew were capable of stretching the field: Ron Johnson, Luke Leverson, Arland Bruce. But if we can win without throwing the ball, I don't care what it looks like....sign me up.

Judd is an idiot. Mitch was 7 for 8 in his first extended play. Both Nelson & Leidner are better qbs than Cupito.

I've been fantasizing about running the option for about 20 years. So I'm happy with the currently style of play, even if the playcalling leaves me scratching my head.

The truth is that we just don't any wide receivers. Not a news flash.

Count me in as a Cupito defender. I was constantly defending him when my co-workers were ragging on him.

It's a bit odd to me that so much emphasis is placed on the fact that we haven't passed much. This was almost a badge of honor in the Mason regime - you knew what was coming, but we were going to run the ball down your throat anyway. In Mason's third year (1999), Billy Cockerham had games with these stat lines:

4-15, 36 yds
9-15, 95 yds
6-11, 100 yds
7-16, 123 yds

Three of those games were wins, and one was a three-point loss to Ohio State. So is it simply the style of play, using the read option where the quarterback is expected to carry the ball more, that has folks concerned? Granted, those teams had some guys we knew were capable of stretching the field: Ron Johnson, Luke Leverson, Arland Bruce. But if we can win without throwing the ball, I don't care what it looks like....sign me up.

I think the game has changed a lot since then, though, which is why it's so surprising. Also, the percentage of carries the QB's have had compared to the RB's is more than we've seen here probably ever. Even Cockerham only had 168 carries in 12 games in 1999 (most of his carreer). They have 79 attempts in 4 games by the QB's this year!

The question is, if a team goes full bore run stop and plays with 8-9 guys in the box and man coverage on the WR's, do we believe the QB (either one) will pick apart the defense enough to keep moving the ball? I think due to the lack of passing, especially knowing the WR's are still a work in progress, there's still some question there. Nelson was a 40something% passer last year, Leidner is his backup. I don't think it's safe to assume anything in the passing game yet, though I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll be good enough to keep the ball moving in that situation.

Judd is an idiot. Mitch was 7 for 8 in his first extended play. Both Nelson & Leidner are better qbs than Cupito.

I'm assuming you're being ironic, but both have a ways to go to be considered better than Cupito.

Cupito 513 Comp - 917 Att - 7446 yds - 56% Comp, 8.1 YPA, 14.5 YPC

Nelson 96 Comp - 193 Att - 1118 yds - 50% Comp, 5.8 YPA, 11.6 YPC

Leidner 12 Comp - 20 Att - 176 yds - 60% Comp, 8.8 YPA, 14.7 YPC

Yes Leidner is slightly better statistically with VERY limited data, but Cupito's includes B1G play.

Granted, Cupito did not play as a freshman and had a pretty mediocre sophomore season, so there is absolutely room for both to eventually stake that claim.

Top Bottom