How have non-conference games changed your Gophers B1G outlook?

• I think we'll do better in B1G than I thought before the season started

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • I think we'll do worse in B1G than I thought before the season started

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • My Gophers B1G predictions haven't changed from the start of the season

Votes: 48 67.6%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score

Hasn't really. I still believe we have to win 3 games for it to be a success.

We beat the teams we should have in a way that good teams win. Both the O & D lines have dominated for the most part and this bodes well for the season. Yes, it has been against lesser competition, but ask Michigan if that matters. Minnesota Gopher stock is going up.

I said better. Initially, I though 2-6. But, now I am thinking 3-5 to 4-4. Especially with the way some of the other teams have looked.

better since the other teams look weaker

Yup. Before the season I thought Nebraska and Michigan might be insurmountable obstacles. I would still be surprised, but not shocked if we beat either of them. The Indiana hype seems to have died down somewhat as well, and I think a win on their turf is more likely. Unfortunately I had also hoped the coaching change at Wisconsin might cause them to sputter a bit but they seem to just be rolling right along, strange and hilarious game against Arizona State notwithstanding.

I still think 2-6 is worst case and I don't see more than 3 wins but best case has to be 8-0

I voted stayed the same which was 2-3 conference wins (hopefully 3)

Iowa and Indiana still look like the best bets for Big Ten wins, need to win both

Nebraska and Penn State at home are possibilities, need to at least split

Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisconsin all still look like losses

Michigan State feels like a tossup

The conference as a whole seems pretty mediocre from top to bottom with the possible exception of Ohio State so there is a chance things could break right for the Gophers. My concern is we are not going to be able to move the ball nearly as well against Big Ten defenses that are big enough to keep us from getting a ton of push at the line and skilled enough to stop a running QB. As has been mentioned in multiple threads we need to see something out of the passing game, it will be key to at least be competent through the air in conference play.

This Iowa game will tell us a ton about what to expect over the remainder of the season. This is very close to a must win if we want to make sure we end up in a bowl game when it is all said and done.

I'm feeling like I should be more confident, but I'm holding back until after the Iowa game, which I had as a W before the season.
If we lay an egg, which I just don't see right now, things change.
Indiana is a matchup made in heaven for us, on the road or not.
Passing O, poor tackling D that will only get worse as the B1G season wears on the young defenders they have.
Penn St., MSU, Iowa, Nebraska, and Michigan all have flaws, likely we play well in all these games and win 1-2.
wisky looks solid despite my sacrifices to the obese drunken cow god.
NW looks worse than last year now, but i expect them to right that ship and challenge for the B1G title.

I'll say we still beat Iowa, beat Indy, and snipe another from someone, maybe PSU at home or Nebraska if Pelini give away his annual "no way we lose that game" game.
My sacrifices of cheese and stale Old Milwaukee to the obese drunken cow god of Wisconsin continue.

The same. 4-0 and 3-5 was my expectation. Still think that's about right.

I didn' think the Gophers would make a bowl game this year. Doesn't mean they aren't improved just wins in coference are going to be hard to come for a team that will be dared to throw the ball and so far it appears they can't.

It is a step forward to be able to play non-BCS teams and have your way with them. I truly believe that the 2010 and 2011 Gopher teams would have given up 50+ points to that San Jose St. team!

We are moving towards the Mason level. The Mason level is that you can truly be competitive in every game. That must happen before you get more wins. I am predicting 6 wins this year with 2 or 3 more that rip our hearts out. It's part of the process.

The team performance during the NC slate reinforced the strengths and the challenges that were widely discussed leading to the non-con.

I think the biggest ? is if the offense can have enough of a passing attack to not only keep teams off balance and keep them honest but to score keep drives alive and to score points.

I would love to see a couple screens a game, and more TE in the middle of the field. Maxx is ready.

I voted stayed the same which was 2-3 conference wins (hopefully 3)

Iowa and Indiana still look like the best bets for Big Ten wins, need to win both

Nebraska and Penn State at home are possibilities, need to at least split

Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisconsin all still look like losses

Michigan State feels like a tossup
That's pretty much how I see it.

I figured we'd be 3-1 or 4-0 going into the conference season. I also thought Iowa and Indiana would be beatable leaving one win from either Penn State, Michigan St or Northwestern to get to 3 conference wins. Probably the switch I'd make would be that I think that Nebraska at home and Nebraska's erratic play makes that game very winnable. I think Northwestern will be tough.

So more or less, the change is with who I think we can/will beat rather than how many games we will win.

If we get to six wins (given that we are 4-0), I'll feel like the team is on schedule (especially given the improvement on penalties, turnovers, academics).
If we hit seven, I'll be happy and feel as if we are slightly ahead of schedule.
If we win eight, I'll be guzzling the Koolaid like a motherf****er.

That's pretty much how I see it.

I figured we'd be 3-1 or 4-0 going into the conference season. I also thought Iowa and Indiana would be beatable leaving one win from either Penn State, Michigan St or Northwestern to get to 3 conference wins. Probably the switch I'd make would be that I think that Nebraska at home and Nebraska's erratic play makes that game very winnable. I think Northwestern will be tough.

So more or less, the change is with who I think we can/will beat rather than how many games we will win.

If we get to six wins (given that we are 4-0), I'll feel like the team is on schedule (especially given the improvement on penalties, turnovers, academics).
If we hit seven, I'll be happy and feel as if we are slightly ahead of schedule.
If we win eight, I'll be guzzling the Koolaid like a motherf****er.

i hope this is the part you had to clarify the wording on :cool:

Anyone notice we got 1 vote to be ranked in the USA Today Poll?

I'm holding off. They look improved in the non-conference schedule.. but that's it. There's no saying what they will look like in the B1G yet. I'm still saying a 6-7 win team this year will be a nice bonus and a success.

The same. I was thinking two B10 wins, but I'm happy with the progress being made on defense and the kicking game - and the depth at QB. If the Gophers dominate Iowa, I will be a lot more optimistic. Last year at this time we were generally upbeat until surprised by what happened at Iowa City.

I wouldn't be upset if we missed a Bowl as long as we looked COMPETITIVE on the field against Big 10 foes...

I can deal with 1 score losses to teams like Nebraska & Michigan but if we get owned & look like we don't even belong on the field then it will just feel like just another mediocre Gopher season that we've all seen so much...

I wouldn't be upset if we missed a Bowl as long as we looked COMPETITIVE on the field against Big 10 foes...

I can deal with 1 score losses to teams like Nebraska & Michigan but if we get owned & look like we don't even belong on the field then it will just feel like just another mediocre Gopher season that we've all seen so much...

Kinda like moral victories but you have a good point.

I will still be OK if we get to a bowl game.

Top Bottom