News, Notes, Tid-Bits and Quotes: Gophers/Hawkeyes Battle for Floyd in Key B1G Opener

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
News, Notes, Tid-Bits and Quotes: Gophers/Hawkeyes Battle for Floyd in Key B1G Opener
By Grant Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/292881?referrer_id=388419

With the Gophers at 4-0, Jerry Kill was a happy man during his Tuesday media tour. Kill took questions ranging from injured players to his improving offensive line before looking ahead to Iowa this weekend.

Looking Back

Kill was pleased with the way his team played against a tough San Jose State team on Saturday; winning 43-24.

“It was a good win for our program,” said Kill. “San Jose State’s a good football team; a football team that won 11 games last year and had 22 starters back. We had to play a young man at quarterback (David Fales) that was very dynamic at throwing the football so it was a good win for our program.”

Nelson Mending

With Mitch Leidner leading the Gophers to victory over San Jose State, many wonder if the return of Philip Nelson is still on the horizon. Kill noted that Nelson has been improving but has to be at full strength in order to play against Iowa.

“I’ve seen Philip earlier [Tuesday] and he seems to be getting along pretty good,” said Kill. “We’ll start out practice and see how things go. We’re not going to change our style; what we do offensively. So [Philip] is going to need to be 100 percent for us to give him the green light. We certainly will if he’s ready to go.”

Dominant Ground Game

The Gophers running game has been strong through their first four victories; averaging over 280 yards on the ground per contest.

“That’s kind of our nature through our coaching career, to be physical and take care of the football and run it and play-action pass,” said Kill. “We’ve got to physically continue to get stronger and bigger and that’s what we’re trying to do through recruiting.”

One of the reasons for the running game’s success has been the improved play of the offensive line; especially by redshirt freshman Ben Lauer.

“I think we’re getting better,” said Kill of the offensive line. “We still have a lot of room to get better at. The thing that Ben [Lauer] gives you is 6-foot-7, 305. [Marek Lenkiewicz] has played hard and we’ll need him but right now he’s 285...We’ve gotten better from week one, to week two, to week three, to week four, up front. Now we’ll find out how much better on Saturday as we move forward because of the strength of Iowa’s front four.”

Improvement Needed

With Minnesota averaging just over 105 yards of passing offense per game, Kill noted that the offense will have the opportunity to step up in conference play.

“I think as we get into the Big Ten, you’re going to see a lot more cover-one and you’ll see some different looks,” said Kill. “I think the big thing is having an efficient passing game and be accurate and efficient and make plays when you need to.”

Kill believes that the Gophers will need to improve their passing attack to find success in the Big Ten.

“We need them all to step up and get better,” said Kill. “We need to continue to improve in route running and execution and so forth. You’ve got to be able to beat man-coverage.”

Limiting Penalties

The Golden Gophers have committed just 10 penalties in their first four outings. Kill and the Minnesota coaching staff teach the players to not beat themselves with unneeded infractions.

“Our team probably thought they didn’t win on Sunday,” said Kill. “We point out every single little detail of what it takes to win. We’ve been pleased with it but we also know that those things can go away. I think sometimes what you try to do is emphasize what it’s going to take to win...We show the dumb penalties. You wouldn’t want to be in here after a ballgame and you were one that made a dumb penalty because it’s going to go up on that screen. That’s called the ‘Daily News.’ We all get educated through the ‘Daily News.’”

Dienhart:

Why you should watch: Floyd of Rosedale is on the line! And the possibilities seem endless for each team in what looks to be a wide-open Legends Division. Minnesota is 4-0. Iowa has won three in succession after dropping its opener to Northern Illinois. So, the winner could be in good shape. That’s a far cry from the beginning of the year, when it looked like these teams may end up fighting to avoid the Legends Division cellar. Well, that still could happen, but let’s stay positive for now, OK?

Player on the spot: Gophers’ QB Mitch Leidner. He made his first career start last week and excelled, running for 151 yards and four touchdowns in a 43-24 win over San Jose State with Philip Nelson (hamstring) out with injury. Leidner looks to be the starter again with Nelson’s status still murky. Leidner will need to continue to run the ball well, while also hitting some passes to keep a solid Iowa defense off balance.

Key matchup: Iowa passing game vs. Minnesota passing game. Each team has a strong ground game. The Gophers are No. 3 in the Big Ten in rushing (282.2 ypg); the Hawkeyes are No. 6 (244.0). Neither team is great at chucking the ball. So, whoever can pass with some consistency figures to have a good shot at victory. Know this: Iowa quarterback Jake Rudock is further along as a passer than Leidner and may have a slightly better collection of receivers.

http://btn.com/2013/09/25/dienhart-get-my-week-5-big-ten-previews/

Go Gophers!!

My biggest concern going into this game is whether or not we stop the run. We stop the run we win the game. Simple as that.

Kill said on his weekly KFAN show today that Nelson looked a lot better yesterday than he did on Tuesday and ran some option and looked good. Today will be a critical day in determining whether he can go or not. Just have to make sure he won't be tentative and that he's not at risk for the injury to keep nagging him throughout the season.

FSN: Trophy, 5-0 record on line for Gophers vs. Iowa

"To me, it's like playing in a bowl game," Kill said. "You get excited about it, but you've still got to keep the team focused and keep them concentrated on the most important thing they need to do, and that's to play well on Saturday. I worry about us getting better, but we won't de-emphasize who we're playing."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...ine-for-Gophers-vs?blockID=944617&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom