Gophers expecting largest student section in several years

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/GopherFootball">@GopherFootball</a> Expecting largest student crowd in several years! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BringFloydHome&src=hash">#BringFloydHome</a></p>— David Benedict (@DavidBenedict8) <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidBenedict8/statuses/382689134852067329">September 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Didn't Benedict say the sjsu game was a sellout? Is this guy credible on ticket situations?

There were roughly 1000 student tickets left before they went on sale to the public today. That would mean we can expect 9,000 students?

I asked him if we would have a bigger student section than Syracuse and he said yes. So we'll find out shortly if this is true or not.

I thought the student section was full for That game. It sure looked full. Were some of those seats filled with general public?

I thought the student section was full for That game. It sure looked full. Were some of those seats filled with general public?

I thought that as well. I'm not so sure I believe Mr. Benedict. I know that the "student section" will be full on Saturday, but will it be full with students? I'm not so sure.

I'm not saying anyone right or wrong, students seem to crowd together in lower bowl. Is it reasonable that 9,000 students could fit into the space of 7,000?

You have to also take in account that there are about 1,000-1,500 more students in the lower deck than it holds. They pack an extra 10-15 per row in there. Legally, you can only sell as many tickets as seats.

They are giving out wrist bands this year to prevent the over crowding in the lower bowl.

While I haven't taken out a ruler to measure, our bench seats seem to have a LOT more space allocated to each person than at the 20 other college football stadiums I've visited. I'd be curious how our student section would look if everybody stayed in their designated space rather than squishing together.

BVBlGh3CMAAgL4w.jpg:large

They'll have a big audience, this would be a very opportune time for the team to show us how good they can be this year.

While I haven't taken out a ruler to measure, our bench seats seem to have a LOT more space allocated to each person than at the 20 other college football stadiums I've visited. I'd be curious how our student section would look if everybody stayed in their designated space rather than squishing together.

I remember hearing on several occasions that the bleacher seats are wide enough so that they could have the flexibility to convert them into chairbacks (if they so desired) without losing seating capacity. If true, they are clearly much wider than they "need" to be to comfortable.

Rather than simply putting up a sign saying "Gopher Football Student Tickets Sold out" - which may lead a first time visitor to that window to assume there are no tickets available for Penn State, etc. - Why not change the sign to "Student Tickets for Iowa Sold Out, get your tickets for upcoming games against Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin HERE."

They'll have a big audience, this would be a very opportune time for the team to show us how good they can be this year.

Was thinking the same thing. An impressive rivalry trophy win in front of a sold out student section could really help snowball the excitement around this team.

They put the unused student section tickets for sale to the general public a few days ago. Hopefully this news that the student section is sold out means that the U students grabbed these up, and hopefully not an indication that Iowa fans will be sitting in our section in big numbers.

Go Gophers!!

They put the unused student section tickets for sale to the general public a few days ago. Hopefully this news that the student section is sold out means that the U students grabbed these up, and hopefully not an indication that Iowa fans will be sitting in our section in big numbers.

Go Gophers!!

100% guaranteed that it's Iowa fans. I find it hilarious that just 48 hours ago they were warning the students that their tickets would go on sale to the general public.

48 hours later and the student section is sold out! Way to go students! The U just conveniently forgot to mention that the remaining tickets were not purchased by students.

Awesome news. The students are what makes CFB>NFL.

100% guaranteed that it's Iowa fans. I find it hilarious that just 48 hours ago they were warning the students that their tickets would go on sale to the general public.

48 hours later and the student section is sold out! Way to go students! The U just conveniently forgot to mention that the remaining tickets were not purchased by students.

my man, you (and some others) need to chill out. you seem a bit overly obsessed with this whole topic whenever it comes up. but unless you work in the ticket office or have access to information that they don't, please stop with the platitudes of 100% guarantees, sarcasm, and claims that you know more than the athletic department on just how many students vs. general public will show up. not trying to hate, but just saying.

Would rather have Iowa fans there than empty seats. Adds to the atmosphere and makes it better when we take Floyd back and rush the field. #GoGophers

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Student section sold out for game already !</p>— De'Niro Laster (@Mucho_Deniro) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mucho_Deniro/statuses/383056352521621504">September 26, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> sold 8,000 student tickets for the 10,000-seat section. The rest were sold to the general public for the Iowa game.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/383091457298419712">September 26, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Those remaining tickets could have been sold to non-season ticket holding Gopher fans as well. At first glance, the cheapest ticket for Saturday's game on Stub Hub is going for $85. So if the U sold these for a face value of $75, as was speculated here, that would be a better deal.

And sure, the U sold the remaining spots in the student section to the general public. The demand simply died down, and they wanted to make sure they could pack the house. So naturally you tell everyone that the student tickets are sold out. How else is the U going to communicate that there are no more tickets for students to purchase? They can still go tailgate though.

Still expect 8-10 thousand Hawkeye fans. Remember, Benedict said they had sold 48,000 tickets for the SJSU game and the announced was 45,000. You know many of those Twp Pack Promotion tickets went to Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin fans so they could get a ticket for their game against the Gophers. Until we get to the level of Wisconsin that is the way it is going to be for both the general public and the students. Wisconsin student tickets sold out in less than 24 hours. It is what is boys and girls.

Didn't like to hear this from the guest picker section on the ESPN blog:

This week's guest picker has been all over the Big Ten map. Phillip Mykleby from Minneapolis, the floor is yours.

I'd like to be a guest picker for this weeks games if you don't mind. I guess you can I've been all around the Big Ten in my lifetime. I'm a lifelong Iowa Hawkeye fan growing up and undergrad (I actually met you once in Iowa City for Iowa-Michigan in 2009), then off to Nebraska for grad school, and now I work for the U of Minn. This weekend's game for the Floyd of Rosedale has some added meaning for me. And my entire family will be coming up from Iowa and cheering for the Hawkeyes in the Gopher student section!

Yuck

This week's guest picker has been all over the Big Ten map. Phillip Mykleby from Minneapolis, the floor is yours.

I'd like to be a guest picker for this weeks games if you don't mind. I guess you can I've been all around the Big Ten in my lifetime. I'm a lifelong Iowa Hawkeye fan growing up and undergrad (I actually met you once in Iowa City for Iowa-Michigan in 2009), then off to Nebraska for grad school, and now I work for the U of Minn. This weekend's game for the Floyd of Rosedale has some added meaning for me. And my entire family will be coming up from Iowa and cheering for the Hawkeyes in the Gopher student section!

Yuck

Well, he actually means standing for the entire game behind the student section to actually see anything.

Yuck

Somebody should put some road blocks on 35 north Friday night. I'd rather see empty seats than Hawkeye fans.

Yuck
I hope they get called horrible names.

Top Bottom