Shooter Now II: Gophers won't address Jerry Kill's salary now

Teague is smart for waiting until the end of the season. Maturi would have made the mistake of offering an extension too early. Still a lot of question marks regarding Kill's tenure so far. Will we take the next step or plateau at the 4-6 win total depending on non-conference opponents? Also, there is obviously the elephant in the room regarding his health, not that I have a problem with it, but it is another factor to consider. And for the record: Kill's epilepsy doesn't bother me in the least (I had a childhood form of it) and I would love to see Kill here long term.

How many B10 wins does Jerry have as of today?

Just saying.

Jerry Kill will get his pay increase at the U. Just not during the season.

How would it make him more secure here?

Well I'm not saying they should do this, but if he got a bump in pay, other jobs would look less desirable in comparison. Its a fairly basic concept.

Well I'm not saying they should do this, but if he got a bump in pay, other jobs would look less desirable in comparison. Its a fairly basic concept.

Yeah but until he starts winning here those other jobs won't be calling anyway. Only way you give Kill an extension or raise of any kind after this season is if we somehow end up contending for the Big Ten title already. If that happens he will deserve one. Assuming we are looking at another 2-3 win Big Ten campaign (which is right about where the baseline should be set for the program in year 3) why would we offer him more money or more years at this point? If I were in NT's shoes I would not consider anything until after the 2014 season, at which point it should be very clear what Kill is or is not going to be able to accomplish here. As someone else posted if you do something now you are just bidding against yourself.

This giving a raise now or later cuts two ways. If you give him a raise now and Kill & Co. lead us to the promise land (i.e., Rose Bowl or something close), this pay increase will look relatively inexpensive compared to what it would have cost at the end of the year. However if you do it now and they lay an egg, there will be no end to the complaining. From an AD's perspective, why roll the dice this time of year? If is much safer to wait until the end of the year. If Kill doesn't measure up, he won't get much if anything. If Kill Kills it, people won't mind that he gets the big pay raise.

I'm not worried about Kill leaving at any point. I'm more worried about assistants leaving. Hopefully they can keep the staff intact for at least another couple years.

This giving a raise now or later cuts two ways. If you give him a raise now and Kill & Co. lead us to the promise land (i.e., Rose Bowl or something close), this pay increase will look relatively inexpensive compared to what it would have cost at the end of the year. However if you do it now and they lay an egg, there will be no end to the complaining. From an AD's perspective, why roll the dice this time of year? If is much safer to wait until the end of the year. If Kill doesn't measure up, he won't get much if anything. If Kill Kills it, people won't mind that he gets the big pay raise.

Unless you are going to give him a top 3 salary in the B1G, you'd probably still have to give him a raise for that sort of season.

I'm not worried about Kill leaving at any point. I'm more worried about assistants leaving. Hopefully they can keep the staff intact for at least another couple years.

Same here. Right or wrong, his epilepsy will be a deterrent for potential suitors. We NEED to keep Kill's staff together for as long as possible though, that is a huge competitive advantage compared to other programs around the conference. Though, we need to win something of significance before that actually becomes a real issue.

per Shooter:

Teague, by the way, will wait until after the football season to consider whether to adjust Kill's $1.2 million salary, which is the lowest by $800,000 in the Big Ten.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

This is patently false.

I'd guess 70-80% of the time the media attempts to say something about a coaching contract, they provide bad information. This is one of those times. This one is so far off that it's shameful.

Kill's salary is low relative to Big Ten coaches on a whole and if they are going to keep him around, a raise in guaranteed pay would be reasonable.

That said, the termination provisions would be key to any revised agreement.

Also, it's worth noting that Kill's incentives for APR and graduation performance are high as compared to some other Big Ten coaches.

All in (including achievable incentives), his comp structure is more favorable than say, Kevin Wilson of Indiana.

I think it is too early for an extension...after next year would seem appropriate...assuming we keep getting better.

I would very much like to see a budget for Kill to have a driver so he can do more recruiting and raises for our Asst Coaches and Coordinators to reward them for success on the field, in the classroom and for picking up the slack when Kill has been out.

In one week the media went from asking whether Kill can be a head coach to discussing a raise. Quite a week.

The way you worded it I thought you meant making him feel more secure, not us.

I think it is too early for an extension...after next year would seem appropriate...assuming we keep getting better.

I would very much like to see a budget for Kill to have a driver so he can do more recruiting and raises for our Asst Coaches and Coordinators to reward them for success on the field, in the classroom and for picking up the slack when Kill has been out.

Who's talking extension?

Why do the media bring it up at this point if the season? Either way, the season needs to play out more.

The raise issue came up long before the season started. An extension issue has not come up.

The raise issue came up long before the season started. An extension issue has not come up.

In most cases these two are addressed at the same time (raise + extension). That said, the real meaning of the stated term of an agreement varies greatly between contracts for reasons including termination provisions. Often times, the end date of a contract per the legal document has very little meaning.

While media loves to say, "so and so is locked in until 2XXX", that is rarely the case. (For that matter when a contract with increased guaranteed comp is finalized, those terms often change in the future as well... but it sets a new minimum-comp for the coach.)

Woody will address Kill's compensation at the end of the year. The big picture right now for Woody is 190 million facility package he needs to raise. I've heard of no major donations at this point.

Prexy K extended Coach Kill's original contract very shortly after Prexy K assumed his duties and when the horrible state of the brewball era's handling of the program really started to surface. So, Coach Kill started with a long contract to begin with.

My hunch is that our new Norwood most likely wants to observe the attitude of the boosters and the fan base re: Coach Kill as the head of the Football Program for as long as he can. He has undoubtedly researched the history of our Gopher fan base and the boosters and very astutely noted the rapid changes of attitude toward coaches that Gopher boosters and fans tend to display from month to month...season to season and year to year. I believe our new Norwood probably doesn't have the "extension" tool to use to buy himself a bit more time the way he utilized that tool with Tubby prior to the beginning of the season followed by the buying out and firing of Tubby right after the conclusion of the season.

Things are quite often in a bit of a state of flux regarding the hiring of a coach, pay raises, extensions, buy outs and terminations of contracts between revenue sport coaches and the Athletic Director/Administration of the University. The very nature of the "EXTENSION...buy out...terminate the contract..." pattern at the U of M may be evolving into some other sort of visible, predictable and often used variation on that theme.

Prexy K extended Coach Kill's original contract very shortly after Prexy K assumed his duties and when the horrible state of the brewball era's handling of the program really started to surface. So, Coach Kill started with a long contract to begin with.

Technically that was Kill's first full contract. Schools would be well served to finalize a contract ASAP - with the preference being finalization before announcing a coaching hire or extension. Not many do this. Eager to announce new guys and perceived "good news". Can put your school into a disadvantageous position.

Technically that was Kill's first full contract...

Actually, Jerry Kill was offered...and accepted...a 5-year contract from the "U" totaling $5.5 million. This annual figure of $1.1 million represented a tripling of his compensation while at Northern Illinois. His assistants basically tripled their salaries, too, which is fine.

However, Jerry Kill wound up signing NOT the 5-year deal that was agreed to, but rather, an upgraded 7-year contract for $8.4 million, for the reasons wren mentioned above.

Thus, Jerry Kill is now in the middle of the 3rd year of a 7-year deal. He still has 4+ years remaining on his contract.

IMHO, it would be the height of irresponsibility for Woody to further upgrade Kill's contract at this time...similar to Joel Maturi slipping a 3-year extension to Pam Borton as he was hitting the exit.:cry:

Essentially, very little has been proven during these past 2-1/2 college football seasons in dinkytown. And we are staring at another losing B1G Conference record.

If push comes to shove, Woody needs to tell Jerry that his $800K raise went to North Carolina so they could be taken off the schedule.:cry::cry:

There are simply too many questions surrounding the current and future performance of the Gopher football team, surrounding the health of Jerry Kill, surrounding the difficulties of getting paying customers into TCF Bank Stadium to watch the Gophers, etc.

Time for the "U" Admin to do the right thing and let things continue to play out over the next 1-1/2 seasons, then make some decisions in January, 2015. Much more will be known by then.

What other jobs? Nobody is after a guy with a 4-12 record in the Big Ten and major health concerns (real or not, they're going to effect his hireability in the future)

I'm glad Coach Kill is here now, but the idea that we have to be worried about anyone poaching him at this point is a bit far-fetched. Lets see what this season brings.

Actually, Jerry Kill was offered...and accepted...a 5-year contract from the "U" totaling $5.5 million. This annual figure of $1.1 million represented a tripling of his compensation while at Northern Illinois. His assistants basically tripled their salaries, too, which is fine.

However, Jerry Kill wound up signing NOT the 5-year deal that was agreed to, but rather, an upgraded 7-year contract for $8.4 million, for the reasons wren mentioned above.

Right. There was an agreement, subject to finalization of an actual full agreement/contract in executed written form. The terms of that initial agreement were finalized as a 7-year deal. There's only been one full agreement in executed, written form.

The Borton thing is a little more interesting than "Maturi did it", but let's leave that one alone.

If Minnesota said, "hey we're giving Kill a ~$200k guaranteed comp raise starting in 2014" I think that would be reasonable (relative to the compensation of peers - NOT saying that's what I would do :)). However, I could see them adding time to the deal (which by itself isn't a big deal) and altering the termination provisions (which potentially is an enormous deal).

Waiting until January 2015 sounds like a reasonable path as well.

Top Bottom