Iowa

victor04

Reaction score
Ok, now that we have taken care of business in the out of conference part of the schedule, praise the lord, we next enter Big Ten play. I am WOW excited to see what happens next week, against our beloved hawkeyes. Is everyone else excited as I?

If we can continue the strong rushing effort today, with some solid D, Iowa could be in for some trouble.

Iowa's passing game will be the weakest we've seen this Season so far but they will have better athletes then we've seen as well...

The key will be stopping Weisman. It looks as if our run D has improved quite a bit from last year, if we can keep him to around 3.5 ypc and keep running the ball well we should win.

BRING BACK THAT PIG.

Pivotal game for the team a lot at stake.

-Floyd
-5-0
-B1G conference win in the opener
-Floyd

Only bad news about playing for Floyd is we have to see those ugly black and yellow helmets...

I think teams can run on us. Bet Iowa will try.

Studwell I fear you may be correct, our unproven ability to stop the run, in addition to our lack of passing, truly frightens me. If we can control the clock though with our own run game, it might just allow our team to hide our lack of stopping the run.

I think teams can run on us. Bet Iowa will try.

I think they'll be somewhat successful but it won't be nearly as bad as last year so it'll be a close game. I expect us to win if we played disciplined like we played today.

Iowa really needs this game to have a realistic chance at a 6-6 season. The only winnable games they have after the Gophers are Purdue and Michigan State. Illinois and Indiana are both off their schedule this year. Too bad for them.

I hate those SOBs with every fiber of my being. I hate Wiscy, but I despise Iowa. My blood is already boiling. This is a BFD and I don't want a letdown. Go out, take care of business and suddenly you're sitting at 5-0, meaning that game at Michigan has the chance to be a program-changer. You don't have a great chance to win in Ann Arbor, but sometimes a chance is all you need. I know, I know, one game at a time. BEAT IOWA!

I hate those SOBs with every fiber of my being. I hate Wiscy, but I despise Iowa. My blood is already boiling. This is a BFD and I don't want a letdown. Go out, take care of business and suddenly you're sitting at 5-0, meaning that game at Michigan has the chance to be a program-changer. You don't have a great chance to win in Ann Arbor, but sometimes a chance is all you need. I know, I know, one game at a time. BEAT IOWA!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You guys are so mean to the Pork Bellies. Love it.

We as a crowd need to work on our wonderful Who Hates Iowa chant, the first fee games the attempts have been pretty weak. Although I feel the music killed what could have been a great time to start it after the preview of the game on the scoreboard .

I like our chances against Iowa. Although Michigan looks vulnerable, I don't like they have a bye before playing us. But as others have said, first things first and bring Floyd back home where he belongs.

Go Gophers!

Although Michigan looks vulnerable, I don't like they have a bye before playing us.

SJSU had a bye before us too.

Meatchicken has played so crappy their last two wins, I hope they end up devouring themselves with 2 weeks to stew over some pretty bad showings.

A bye helps when your team is beat up. If you are playing well and generally healthy, that week off can lead to some rust. Michigan is not playing real well right now, so who knows what the time off will mean for the Walmart Wolverines? First things first, take Herky down. I am already pumped and can't sleep. Good thing the Great Outdoors is on HBOF. "If I can get a dessert down him, you think you can throw in some Paul Bunyan hats for the kids?"

I hate whoever we're playing. You should have heard my tirade against SJSU. ;-).

Iowa really needs this game to have a realistic chance at a 6-6 season. The only winnable games they have after the Gophers are Purdue and Michigan State. Illinois and Indiana are both off their schedule this year. Too bad for them.

The same could be said for us. We aren't favored this weekend against the Hawkeyes and I think it is likely we won't be favored in another game the rest of the year. That doesn't mean we won't win a few of them, because I think we will. But, we really to need to win this game on our home field, especially if we want to make a bowl game AND improve on last year's record.

We just don't match up very well with Iowa.. they run the ball very well and they are good against the run.. That is why nelson needs to be healthy to give us a chance on throwing the ball alittle bit.. very scary game. I hate Iowa

We just don't match up very well with Iowa.. they run the ball very well and they are good against the run.. That is why nelson needs to be healthy to give us a chance on throwing the ball alittle bit.. very scary game. I hate Iowa

Agree. They matchup well against us. We haven't seen a run D close to theirs IMO. Their front 7 is stout. Leidner as a passer just hasn't impressed me. Nelson hasn't been great in his career either, but at least he's shown glimpses of being effective against a big ten team (Purdue). I'm fine with starting Leidner and riding the hot hand (or legs) but if he struggles I'm hoping Nelson can play and get some snaps as well.

I keep seeing people suggest that Leidner is a worse passer than Nelson. We just don't know that.

Only thing we know is Leidner has a higher completion percentage, a higher efficiency rating, a higher QB rating, a higher yards per completion and yards per attempt, and fewer interceptions. And, I think he has the stronger arm.

Let's wait a little while longer before we say Leidner can't throw. He was 7-of-8 against Western Illinois.

Couldn't Iowa say the same about us? Iowa has only averaged 4.5 yards a carry this year. We've averaged 5.7. Both teams give up 3.4 yards a carry on defense. Weisman has put up solid, but not great numbers so far against weak competition.

Agree. They matchup well against us. We haven't seen a run D close to theirs IMO. Their front 7 is stout. Leidner as a passer just hasn't impressed me. Nelson hasn't been great in his career either, but at least he's shown glimpses of being effective against a big ten team (Purdue). I'm fine with starting Leidner and riding the hot hand (or legs) but if he struggles I'm hoping Nelson can play and get some snaps as well.

Only one team has tried to run more than 22-24 times against Iowa, Northern Illinois, and they won. Teams have managed to have success throwing it against them and I suspect that will continue.

This week, be prepared to see what Limegrover has spent the last 4 weeks setting the table for: PLAY ACTION!!! Don't you think there's a reason the Gophers haven't used play action up to this point? They haven't needed to because they've worn teams down and just kept running it.

I expect play action early and often against Iowa, loosening up the run game in the second half. No big chunks of yards on the ground for Weisman and Bullock and the Gophers should be in decent shape.

NIU didn't have much success running the ball against Iowa. They got most of their yards on busted coverages (issues at Safety) that went for long TDs.

Lynch was bottled up most of the game but did get loose for a 30-40 yard run once. No one has really been able to run the ball otherwise. LBs are good, but if MN can make plays and keep the chains moving it'll help the Gophers out greatly. The Iowa CBs are fairly decent. #19 is the best we've had in years, but #14 King is a true freshman playing for an injured RS FR #27. Both of those guys are quite athletic but young and can be beaten by double moves etc. We'll see how Iowa's back four improve over the course of the week.

Iowa is not good. A closer look at not just who they played, but who those teams played, and the results are not very flattering. Even their loss, to Northern Illinois; NIU is barely a shadow of the team from last year. They struggled with Eastern Illinois and Idaho. Iowa State is absolutely horrendous this year.

A loss this Saturday would be devastating. Period.

Legends division is wide open

The same could be said for us. We aren't favored this weekend against the Hawkeyes and I think it is likely we won't be favored in another game the rest of the year. That doesn't mean we won't win a few of them, because I think we will. But, we really to need to win this game on our home field, especially if we want to make a bowl game AND improve on last year's record.

Every team should feel like they have a shot at winning games against other Legends division teams, especially when playing at home. Every Legends team has weaknesses, even Nebraska and Michigan. Those two probably have the most talent, but based on their play so far neither Nebraska or Michigan is going to sweep through the division.

Gophers should feel good about your team. This is clearly Kill's best team. Iowa is an afterthought in many folks' minds after going 4-8 last year, that's understandable. This Iowa team is ahead of last year's team, no doubt. Is that enough to win at Minnesota Saturday? Not sure.

Iowa is not good. A closer look at not just who they played, but who those teams played, and the results are not very flattering. Even their loss, to Northern Illinois; NIU is barely a shadow of the team from last year. They struggled with Eastern Illinois and Idaho. Iowa State is absolutely horrendous this year.

A loss this Saturday would be devastating. Period.

I wouldn't say they are not good. I just don't feel they've shown much of anything yet. Like you said, Northern Illinois isn't nearly as good as last year. Iowa scored 30 against them. Idaho scored 35 against N. Illinois. Idaho has scored a total 16 points in their other three games.

They very well could be a much improved team. But they're in the same boat as us. It's time to prove it.

Top Bottom