Minnesota to Host 2014 Hockey City Classic at TCF Bank Stadium

Twynntown

Reaction score
More details on the Hockey City Classic...

The University of Minnesota will host the 2014 Hockey City Classic Jan. 17 at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Intersport announced. The outdoor college hockey doubleheader will kick off with the Gopher women’s hockey program taking on Minnesota State at 4:30 p.m. CT followed by the Gopher men’s hockey program hosting Ohio State at 8 p.m.

“The Hockey City Classic at TCF Bank Stadium will be a special event for the entire state of Minnesota,” University of Minnesota Director of Athletics Norwood Teague said. “Outdoor hockey is a prominent fixture of Minnesota culture and we know that partnering with Intersport for this event will guarantee an unbelievable experience for everyone involved.”

Tickets for the 2014 Hockey City Classic start at $15, are valid for both games and will go on sale to the general public Oct. 22 at www.mygophersports.com or by calling 612-624-8080. The Hockey City Classic is included as part of the Minnesota season ticket package; season ticket holders will be notified by mid-September regarding seat locations and upgrade opportunities. Select stakeholders from the three participating universities will have the opportunity to purchase advance tickets in an exclusive presale. Once the presale information is finalized, each university will communicate with their respective groups. Requests for group orders of 20 or more tickets are currently being accepted at hockeycityclassic.com and will be filled prior to Oct. 22.

The Hockey City Classic will be part of a Winter Festival, which will consist of a variety of events, including youth, high school and adult hockey events, private ice rentals, a public skate and much more.

The Hockey City Classic is being organized by Chicago-based sports and entertainment marketing agency Intersport in partnership with the University of Minnesota. Last year, more than 52,000 fans filled Soldier Field in Chicago for the inaugural Hockey City Classic, which featured four Top 20 programs: Notre Dame vs. Miami University and Minnesota vs. Wisconsin. A rousing success, the Hockey City Classic Winter Festival entertained more than 100,000 people at 80 events during the 18-day event and brought outdoor hockey to Solider Field for the first time in the venue’s legendary history.

“Last year’s Hockey City Classic was an incredible success,” Drew Russell, Vice President of Owned Properties at Intersport, said. “It provided the city of Chicago with an extremely unique event, which entertained more than 100,000 people and showcased some of the best hockey programs in the country. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to partner with Minnesota this year and bring the Hockey City Classic to Minneapolis-St. Paul – a market that cherishes hockey and a state whose culture is indelibly connected to the game. This multi-faceted event is rich with family-friendly opportunities for the local community to get on the ice, as well as a priceless opportunity to witness the first outdoor hockey game for Minnesota in more than eight decades.”

About Intersport

Since 1985, Intersport has been an award-winning innovator and leader in the creation of sports and entertainment based marketing platforms. Intersport owns and operates six annual live television events: All-Star Football Challenge, College Home Run Derby, College Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships, High School Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships, Hockey City Classic and the Under Armour All-America High School Football Game. To learn more about Intersport, log on to www.intersportnet.com, like us on Facebook (www.Facebook.com/IntersportBuzz) or follow us on Twitter (@IntersportBuzz).

For more information about the Hockey City Classic, register for updates at: www.hockeycityclassic.com, find us on Facebook (www.Facebook.com/HockeyCityClassic) or follow us on Twitter (@HkyCityClassic).

-Pride on Ice-​

Information Courtesy of Brian Deutsch
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications • Golden Gopher Athletics

I am either buying tickets today or tomorrow! Certainly looking forward to it! :clap:

Did anyone here attend the Hockey City Classic in Chicago last year? Outside of the outcome, just curious as to your overall experience?

I used it as an excuse for a guys weekend in Chicago.

The game itself was ugly with horrible ice and sight lines if you were lower level.

Did anyone here attend the Hockey City Classic in Chicago last year? Outside of the outcome, just curious as to your overall experience?

I went last year. It was a hell of a good time. That being said, we were too close to the field with a horrible view. I was also surprised at how empty the stadium was. To keep things in perspective, Soldier Field has a 61,500 capacity and TCF Bank Stadium has a 50,805 capacity. This year, its our home ice. I'd like to see more of a presence this year.

Do you all think it will be sold out?

What about tailgating options? I figure why not be outside for 8 hours.

I went last year. It was a hell of a good time. That being said, we were too close to the field with a horrible view. I was also surprised at how empty the stadium was. To keep things in perspective, Soldier Field has a 61,500 capacity and TCF Bank Stadium has a 50,805 capacity. This year, its our home ice. I'd like to see more of a presence this year.

I went for the entire day last year in the press box. It was a great experience, but the ice got worse as the day went on, and was junk by the time the Gophers & Badgers played.

The reason the stadium looked so empty was Miami & Notre Dame played in the first game, and then the Gophers & Badgers played. Gopher & Badger fans came late, and Miami & ND fans left after their game. This years HCC is different, because it's on the UofM campus, and features Gopher Men's & Women's teams. If I was to guess, people will show up late, not only because the Men's team draws a lot more fans then the Women's team, but it's also being held on a Friday versus a Saturday last year in Chicago.

I certainly hope that Minnesota lives up to it's "State of Hockey" reputation, and shows up in full force. Besides representing Minnesotan's as solid hockey fans, I think it would influence whether the head honcho's at the HCC have another event in Minnesota down the line.

The only way to beat having the HCC in Minneapolis is to have the Gophers play the Sioux... in Minneapolis. Grand Forks wouldn't be bad either but their football stadium is quarantined to a dome. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Is it 2016-2017 yet? Lets get that rivalry back.

I'm also equally disappointed the HCC is on a Friday. What were they thinking?

The HCC in chicago was terrible the sight lines were absolutely terrible

The ice will be better here, if for no other reason than the one in Chicago was in late February in broad daylight most of the game, with the sun melting the ice the whole time. Here the sun will have gone behind downtown Minneapolis before the start of the first game.

FSN found that out a few years ago when they had their Hockey Day outdoor game in Moorhead in mid-February right before the start of the playoffs. They were playing in slush by the time it was over.

Wish they'd sell parking in the Maroon lot. I understand season ticket holders have first dibs to this, but how great would it be to have a few cars in a row and a big tailgate like a football game?

Bought my two tickets as well. I am fully aware that sight lines are going to be terrible, but I'm just excited for the experience.

It is tough to say at this point. I am certainly hoping for a big contingent of Maroon & Gold for the game, hoepfully it is not PAINFULLY COLD as we all know Jan. can be the coldest month of the year, by far! (I know, it is Minnesota, but still)

When I purchase my tickets, which will be soon, I plan on getting a Ski-U-Mah lot pass for the game for $20. That could provide for a good opportunity to do a little tailgating and for some pregame festivities. I am certainly looking forward to the experience! Terrible sight lines or not!

When I purchase my tickets, which will be soon, I plan on getting a Ski-U-Mah lot pass for the game for $20. That could provide for a good opportunity to do a little tailgating and for some pregame festivities. I am certainly looking forward to the experience! Terrible sight lines or not!

The email I received yesterday(?) to buy parking passes said no tailgating allowed in the lots.

It is tough to say at this point. I am certainly hoping for a big contingent of Maroon & Gold for the game, hoepfully it is not PAINFULLY COLD as we all know Jan. can be the coldest month of the year, by far! (I know, it is Minnesota, but still)

thought about this option as well, but i'm bringing my nephews (10, 8, 5) to the game and although the younger 2 i got to be pretty good gopher fans, i dunno if they'd be as pumped about the tailgate outdoors. here's to hoping its an experience they don't forget though!

The email I received yesterday(?) to buy parking passes said no tailgating allowed in the lots.

Unbelievable! We'd actually make it to the game on time if we could tailgate in the parking lot (versus walking from establishments down the road).

From the web page the email directed us to:

"Parking areas will be released and sold one lot at a time in order to maximize availability. Customers will not have the ability to choose specific lots within each price zone. Parking lots will open at 2 p.m. All cars must be removed from parking areas by Midnight after the game. Tailgating will NOT be allowed for this event per University of Minnesota policy."

Tailgating may not be allowed, but that doesnt mean you cant do it.

Tailgating may not be allowed, but that doesnt mean you cant do it.

Last year they chased us out of the lots by the 2nd period of the Miami/ND game in Chicago. At least we could tailgate for a few hours.

From the web page the email directed us to:

"Parking areas will be released and sold one lot at a time in order to maximize availability. Customers will not have the ability to choose specific lots within each price zone. Parking lots will open at 2 p.m. All cars must be removed from parking areas by Midnight after the game. Tailgating will NOT be allowed for this event per University of Minnesota policy."

So, does anyone know if this same policy applies to tailgating for football games? If so, apparently they don't enforce it. Or maybe this policy only applies to certain parking lots?

So, does anyone know if this same policy applies to tailgating for football games? If so, apparently they don't enforce it. Or maybe this policy only applies to certain parking lots?

I had the same thought. Something tells me it is not the U's policy, rather the HCC God's. There must be someone we can have a chat with.

Top Bottom