New third quarter song

Hey Music person - don't over think it. You were money the first two games, but everybody around us Saturday was thinking, "this blows!".

In addition, there was basically zero music played the entire first half. It was like the Michigan game two years ago - completely dead the entire first half.

Your grade for Saturday was an F, which brought you down to about a C/C+ for the season, but based upon your performance earlier in the season, I'm confident you can bounce back.

Yikes.

This doesn't have anything to do with the 3rd quarter break, but rather the piped in music throughout the whole game.

Has anyone noticed that practically every big play on defense that the piped in music comes on, and the band is quiet? I'm fine with the occasional piped in tune, but I'm a bit disappointed that we go to it almost every 3rd and 4th down.

This doesn't have anything to do with the 3rd quarter break, but rather the piped in music throughout the whole game.

Has anyone noticed that practically every big play on defense that the piped in music comes on, and the band is quiet? I'm fine with the occasional piped in tune, but I'm a bit disappointed that we go to it almost every 3rd and 4th down.

The piped in music was played over the band quite a few times last Saturday there were many times, where both were playing something else at the same time especially in the fourth quarter. The guy in the DJ booth or music guy in the booth is going to have to get some cues or get on a better change to the songs he plays with the band and get on more of the same page. They really seem stuck in a rut on playing ZOMBIE Nation over and over again. I like the song but they have gotten way overkill on Zombie Nation. Unregistered user you got anything new or what is hot like the Fox song last year?

I got Minnie the moocher on Saturday and because they play it at Northwestern, just thought the breaks were bad and they should have gone right in to the call, answer sections after one verse like others have said, it seemed to kill all of the momentumn in the Student Section. What ever happened to Jump on it by Apache? The students seemed to like it and knew the dance to it, and it was always executed well in the past not sure why they quit doing that. Have not noticed many if any other schools doing it so it was kind of a thing at Minnesota at least it was for the last four or five seasons. Do the Gopher was fine with "levels", not sure why they decided to dump most of it. Ruppert your call on land of 10,000 dances isn't far off from a classic song standpoint, that is a good stadium song, one that the older alumns would get in to.

Unregistered user you got anything new or what is hot like the Fox song last year?

Nothing really jumped out this year to really take over like "What does the fox say" last year or Psy the year before. "Turn down for what" got beaten into the ground so fast that I don't think that would really fill the bill.

There was one possibility, but the language might be an issue. Probably not well known by most readers on this board, but local Lizzo put out a song very late last year that may fill the bill, and I'm sure the students know it. They would either have to play the radio version, or clip it and just use the "safe" parts of the song:

NSFW Warning

This is another one that I thought had a chance but it never gained a wide enough audience to really capture the crowd.

I would only use a small portion of the song (from about 0:48 - 1:14). It also suffers from an issue that "Machista" should not be confused with Machismo. Machista typically is defined by "a strong or exaggerated sense of masculinity stressing attributes such as physical courage, virility, domination of women, and aggressiveness."

So...the domination of women might turn off some of the fans.

[the link should start the song at 0:48, if not...have some patience, for crying out loud]

What ever happened to Jump on it by Apache? The students seemed to like it and knew the dance to it, and it was always executed well in the past not sure why they quit doing that. Have not noticed many if any other schools doing it so it was kind of a thing at Minnesota at least it was for the last four or five seasons.

The song is “Apache”, but is generally and unofficially known as “Jump On It” since that’s the hook. It’s by The Sugarhill Gang which is best known for “Rapper’s Delight”. Back in the 1990s, the song was featured on an episode of “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” and that’s where the goofy dance performed by the students and spirit squad came from. College kids of the past decade must have seen that episode in reruns on cable a million times. However, the song had a secret dark side. Get past the intro and hook (and even within it, if you listen closely), and you’ll hear numerous stereotypes of Native American people with references to squaws, moccasins, a medicine man, and teepees occurring. Most of it was meant in innocent fun, but what’s acceptable as a laugh in 1981 sometimes isn’t as much in 2014.

I often wondered if anyone at the U of M outside of the game production staff, which had the good sense of knowing when to dump out of the song, had bothered to listen to “Apache” in its entirety. When the controversy over the Washington Redskins playing at TCF Bank Stadium erupted over the summer, someone (not me, I swear) wrote a letter to the Strib noting the irony of the school’s concern over the NFL team when this song played at every football game. I knew then that it was over for “Apache”. It was gone when the season started and it’s unlikely it’ll be played again at The Bank for a long time, if ever again.

Hey Music person - don't over think it. You were money the first two games, but everybody around us Saturday was thinking, "this blows!". In addition, there was basically zero music played the entire first half. It was like the Michigan game two years ago - completely dead the entire first half. Your grade for Saturday was an F, which brought you down to about a C/C+ for the season, but based upon your performance earlier in the season, I'm confident you can bounce back.

I agree with this assessment.

Too late to get this in before Saturday's game?

Just want to post the viewer count of this video now. I remember you posting that Fox video when it had a similar amount of views, now its over 400 million views.

Your love is lifting me higher...Jackie Wilson
Land of 1000 dances...Wilson Pickett
Nobody but me...Human Beinz
Time won't let me... The Outsider's

What does the Fox say? was annoying yet catchy and fun... this I don't even have words for. Wow.

LOL! This was my submission to the Essentials for folks new to Gopherhole thread.

I'll post this one again (I did in some other thread). This is a tune that is easy to get into, is 100% positive, almost seems like it was created for a situation like the 3rd Q break. The lyrics even contain "We'll move so fast you're head's gonna spin" which is a perfect spot for Goldy to spin his head on the screen.

Anyways:

I'll post this one again (I did in some other thread). This is a tune that is easy to get into, is 100% positive, almost seems like it was created for a situation like the 3rd Q break. The lyrics even contain "We'll move so fast you're head's gonna spin" which is a perfect spot for Goldy to spin his head on the screen.

Anyways:

Awesome!!!
This would definitely work.

Wasn't this discussed ad nauseam already? I thought Ruppert knew all the great songs for the 3rd quarter break to get all the blue hairs out of their seats? :cool:

Wasn't this discussed ad nauseam already? I thought Ruppert knew all the great songs for the 3rd quarter break to get all the blue hairs out of their seats? :cool:

I always wondered if there would be a generational difference but at a game where we're winning or at least playing well and all.... everyone seems to get up, old and young.

I know some of these recommendations are thrown in for humor, but for the most part, I don't think I want Gopherhole to DJ any of my parties in the near future...

Top Bottom