PiPress: Jamel Harbison to miss second game

This is (imo) what should have been our top four receivers this year: 1. AJ Barker 2. Harbison 3. McDonald 4. DCT.

DCT? Pretty sure I was ahead of him on the depth chart.

The Harbison sit. is not even close to the McDonald sit. Who knows what he did, but it is likely typical college kid stuff. Kill is fairly transparent and doesn't seem to indicate it was anything too serious.

Kill said almost the exact same thing about McDonald in the Spring and Summer...

I don't know that I agree with that. He said McDonald had personal stuff to figure out and he "hoped" he'd be able to come back to the team. There was no indication it was just sitting out for a little bit over something minor.

it appears McDonald is getting a break that few kids get. usually the kid leaves the program/school. no proof to back any of this up. probably not grades tho cuz that would take care of itself.

Did anyone read the article?

"But he’ll be back here soon," (of Harbison) Kill said. "He’s doing a good job. He’s doing what he’s been asked to do and told to do."

That, to me, doesn't sound like McDonald. Maybe it's just coach speak, but sounds like he's getting it together, whatever the issue is/was.

Apparently not but it is so much easier to do that. Football profiling is alive and well on the GopherHole. Who would of thunk it?;)

I hope Jerry is just sending a message to Harbison before we get into a more meaty part of the sched. Straighten him out with whatever he is doing before we go into the BIG 10 season.

DCT? Pretty sure I was ahead of him on the depth chart.

The Harbison sit. is not even close to the McDonald sit. Who knows what he did, but it is likely typical college kid stuff. Kill is fairly transparent and doesn't seem to indicate it was anything too serious.

Well then you must've been a "super starter" because DCT was a starting WR for us or a primary backup. DCT would have been one of our receivers who got the most PT.

Yeah, and for every kid that figures it out, there's two that don't.

Maybe, but a lot of recent players have gone through things and then seemed to figure everything out. . .
-Campion
- M. Gray
- Shede
- Michael Carter
- Stoudemire
- Hinojosa
- Tinsley

All of those guys were written off at one time during their careers.

I'm not saying that your point isn't valid (a lot of these guys don't figure it out), but a lot of them do. It's hard with Harbison because we count on him so much at a young age, so his early transgressions seem like a bigger deal. I have no idea what's going on with McDonald, but I was more confident that we'd never see anything from Carter and Campion than I am that we won't see anything from McDonald. I was obviously wrong on them.

Well then you must've been a "super starter" because DCT was a starting WR for us or a primary backup. DCT would have been one of our receivers who got the most PT.

Harbison is a slot receiver and DCT was a wide receiver. It was expected by many that he or KJ Maye would be the starter at this position this year. I watched Harbison in practice both this spring and at fall practice and he is very talented. DCT and Harbison were not competing for the same position but Harbison looked much better than DCT this spring. Time will tell but I wouldn't write him off quite yet.

Too bad he didn't get paid for autographs, would have only missed a half!

Too bad he didn't get paid for autographs, would have only missed a half!

Nah, you know very well that since he's a mere Gopher the NCAA would have thrown the whole book at him for what Manziel got away with. Probably would have fined the school about $50M and taken away about a dozen schollies a year from the Gophers on top of that too. The NCAA is pretty despicable, overall.

Bob - DCT had 24 catches in 2 years. I like the guy, a local guy, just saying we would be having the same exact WR issues/discussions if he was still on the team. He wasn't the answer and everyone knew it. Let's not romance his ability as we look back.

I was listening to JG on KFAN and he said that from what he hears. McDonald is a good kid and his issues are all self inflicted personal items.

IMO he almost made it sound like Kill will consider it a success if McDonald gets a degree rather than playing another snap.

Bob - DCT had 24 catches in 2 years. I like the guy, a local guy, just saying we would be having the same exact WR issues/discussions if he was still on the team. He wasn't the answer and everyone knew it. Let's not romance his ability as we look back.

I wasn't romancing his abilities. Where did I even discuss his abilities? You claimed that he was buried on the depth chart, you were wrong. He would have gotten a ton of PT (that's all I said).

I wasn't romancing his abilities. Where did I even discuss his abilities? You claimed that he was buried on the depth chart, you were wrong. He would have gotten a ton of PT (that's all I said).

That is what I was implying as well. DCT would have played plenty as he was the one guy that could run past people. My top four list was meant to show how the WR group has taken a huge hit for this season. We are now counting on guys who should be deep on the depth chart and none of them moved up because they out-played the others. Not a good situation overall.

That is what I was implying as well. DCT would have played plenty as he was the one guy that could run past people. My top four list was meant to show how the WR group has taken a huge hit for this season. We are now counting on guys who should be deep on the depth chart and none of them moved up because they out-played the others. Not a good situation overall.

Compounded by the fact that the guys that have been replaced were not all that productive to begin with so an already razor thin unit has taken even more hits with DCT, McDonald, and Harbison either gone or missing games.

I should have said he "would have been" buried on the depth chart or even "should have been buried on the depth chart" as that is what I meant, but I didn't and you caught me.

I should have said he "would have been" buried on the depth chart or even "should have been buried on the depth chart" as that is what I meant, but I didn't and you caught me.

But he wouldn't have been. He would've gotten as many snaps as almost any of our WRs.

But he wouldn't have been. He would've gotten as many snaps as almost any of our WRs.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I was very unimpressed with DCT and believe he would have been shuffled back this year. I think he knew it too.

Top Bottom