News, Notes, Tid-Bits and Quotes: Gophers Travel to New Mexico State

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
News, Notes, Tid-Bits and Quotes: Gophers Travel to New Mexico State
By Grant Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/282013?referrer_id=388419

On Tuesday, Jerry Kill spoke with the media at his weekly press conference and Big Ten conference call. Topics ranged from injured players to ways Minnesota is looking to improve in their second game against New Mexico State.

Injury Update

Although CB Derrick Wells has returned to practice, Berkley Edwards and Donnell Kirkwood have been out with injuries meaning depth could still be an issue for the Gophers in New Mexico. While both backs are improving, Minnesota’s backfield could be thin come Saturday evening.

“We’ll just have to see…Donnell did not practice [Monday] and neither did Berkley,” said Kill. “Donnell is walking better but that’s not running and cutting. We’ll just have to see if Berkley’s making progress. We’ll see what happens as the week goes.”

McDonald Out For Semester

Wide receiver Andre McDonald was unable to complete fall camp this August. His time away from the team looks to be extended according to Kill.

“Right now, he’s not going to play for us this semester,” said the Gophers’ head coach. “That’s all I’m going to say on that.”

Gophers Looking to Improve

Jerry Kill and the Golden Gophers got off to a rocky start last Thursday but were able to pour it on in the second half for a convincing 51-23 victory over UNLV. The lapses by Minnesota gave the Gophers’ coaching staff plenty of teaching moments during practice this week.

“We’re excited to improve our football team from week-one to week-two and seeing where we can improve at,” said Kill. “And like all football teams and all coaches throughout the county, you know, we’ve got to get a lot better.”

Nelson a Running Threat

The sophomore quarterback threw for just 99 yards against UNLV but was able to rack up 83 yards and two scores on the ground.

“I thought Philip ran the ball very well,” said Kill. “We ran some zone read and they took the dive away and made him run the ball. A lot of people forget that he runs very well. He’s a 4.6, 4.55 guy so he ran and used his legs well. He made some big throws but I think he’ll be the first one to tell you that he’d like to have stuck a couple others but for the first game out and kind of a unique game because of so many big plays, I thought he did a good job and he’ll continue to grow in that position.”

A star duel-threat quarterback in high school, Nelson is more than comfortable using his feet to pick up extra yards.

“I’m willing to do whatever it takes to win so if that’s running the ball or throwing the ball, whatever it may be,” said Nelson.

Gophers Linebackers Off to Solid Start

One of the biggest questions heading into the season was the Gophers’ depth at linebacker. With a strong showing in their first game, Minnesota’s linebackers have put some fears to rest.

“I thought De’Vondre Campbell played very well,” said Kill. “Damien Wilson played like it was his first game starting a little bit but he’ll get better. He had a few mistakes, certainly things that we can correct. He’s a big kid that we expect a lot out of. Nick Rallis gave us some very valuable minutes and did good…Jack Lynn had a good ball game. We had to play six or seven linebackers because of the no-huddle situation and I thought that position did a good job.”

Hageman Dominates in Opener

Senior defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman had no shortage of pre-season hype this summer. The Minneapolis native lived up to the billing, starting the season with a solid performance against the Rebels thanks to an impressive blocked field goal attempt.

“The blocked field goal was an incredible play,” said Kill. “[Ra’Shede] and Roland Johnson pushed the guard back and he reached up with that long lever he has and blocked it and then chased it down. He didn’t fall on it, he pushed it to a teammate and the teammate picks it up and runs for a touchdown. It was a tremendous play.”

Although the fast pace of the game may have tired Hageman late in the contest, he was still a dominant force throughout.

“I think he got fatigued a little bit and you’re going to have that with the no-huddle system,” said Kill. “When he was fresh, he was a very dominant player. The big thing is, we’ve got to continue to work with him and he’ll get better each week. I mean his best games are ahead of him, I don’t think there’s any doubt about that but he got off to a great start.”

Williams Makes Strong First Impression

Tight end Maxx Williams may have had just one reception on Thursday, but his touchdown catch and blocking ability were enough to make a strong impression on the Gopher coaches.

“Maxx Williams is a good player…He’s got instinct, that’s something you can’t coach, he’s just got it.”

A star duel-threat quarterback in high school, Nelson is more than comfortable using his feet to pick up extra yards.

I hope he doesn't start too many duels on the field, I think that might be a flag!

BTN preview:

Minnesota (1-0) at New Mexico State (0-1) – 8 p.m. ET, BTN2Go

Why you should watch: This could be a tricky game for Minnesota. The Golden Gophers need to take care of business vs. an inferior team on the road, which is the next stage in the development of this program. The last time it played the Aggies, Minnesota lost. Even worse: Jerry Kill had a seizure near the end of the game and was away from the team for several days, but he didn’t miss any games. New Mexico State opened with a 56-7 loss at Texas.

Player on the spot: The Gophers running backs. With Donnell Kirkwood and Berkley Edwards likely out with ankle injuries, David Cobb and Rodrick Williams need to step up as ball carriers. A passing game that netted just 99 yards needs help.

Key matchup: Minnesota offensive line vs. New Mexico State defensive line. The Gopher front can play better than it did vs. UNLV. Yes, the front did OK, but it needs more consistency and should dominate a lesser foe. This is a veteran crew that should control the line of scrimmage vs. teams like New Mexico State.

Key number: 2, special teams touchdowns for Minnesota in its opening win over UNLV. The Gophers also scored on defense. Repeat this each week, and Minnesota will win a lot of games.

http://btn.com/2013/09/05/dienhart-my-week-2-big-ten-previews/

Go Gophers!!

ESPN Predictions:

Minnesota at New Mexico State

Brian Bennett: It was a tough call between Ann Arbor and Las Cruces for the "GameDay" crew this week -- seriously, what is Minnesota doing here? Are the Gophers just big "Breaking Bad" fans who are planning a side trip to Albuquerque? Anyway, it's close for a half but the defense comes up with another score to send the Aggies to Belize. ... Minnesota 37, New Mexico State 20.

Adam Rittenberg: Maybe the Gophers can take a side trip to Roswell and check out the UFOs. Minnesota quarterback Philip Nelson will provide a few identified flying objects in this one, firing two touchdown passes in the second half. It's not a pretty game, but it's a win as Minnesota improves to 2-0. ... Minnesota 34, New Mexico State 21

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/83039/big-ten-predictions-week-2-3

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom