Podcast of the 9-1-11 Sports Huddle with Sid & Dave – U of M President Eric Kaler

Is there any way to quantify how much harder it is for athletes at Minnesota vs the other Big Ten schools? Is this really true?

Is there any way to quantify how much harder it is for athletes at Minnesota vs the other Big Ten schools? Is this really true?

A great question but not an easy one to quantify. I am not sure though what you believe or hear the reason for that could be. If you believe it its professional teams one simplistic approach could be to look at how much on a per capita basis is being spent on sports and other entertainment for the various options. The problem with that is it doesn't factor in the impact of having a winning program. Personally, I believe that is the biggest factor. Other factors could be do most of the students live on campus or do they commute. What ever it is you need to identify the drivers.

My question was more along the lines of the subject Sid and Kaler spoke about on the sports huddle.

Are the GPA and "progress towards degree" standards at Minnesota really higher than at the rest of the Big Ten schools for football players?

My question was more along the lines of the subject Sid and Kaler spoke about on the sports huddle.

Are the GPA and "progress towards degree" standards at Minnesota really higher than at the rest of the Big Ten schools for football players?

I am not sure but I believe the issue might have been more about admittance standards. If you are talking about the Big Ten alone I don't believe that is a big issue now but I have heard the same thing in the past. Maybe dpodoll could shed some light on this. Does anybody else have any thoughts or knowledge about this subject?

Top Bottom